Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Live releases from 70s Finnish prog groups

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Winter sale at Svart - all Jazz&Pop Liisa CDs are 9€ only!

http://svartrecords.com/shoppe/searc...c&orderway=asc

Any idea how long the sale lasts?

Eight new volumes (two of them appeared earlier this year on LP) have been announced for early May release and are up for pre-ordering:

Jazz-Liisa 9: Mike Koskinen Orchestra 1973
    Jazz-Liisa 10: Otto Donner Treatment 1973
    Jazz-Liisa 11: Pentti Lahti Band / Olli Ahvenlahti & Eero Ojanen Duo 1974
    Jazz-Liisa 12: Mircea Stan Quartet / Jukka Ruohomäki 1974

Pop-Liisa 9: Jukka Tolonen Band 1975
    Pop-Liisa 10: Hurmerinta-Sorvali Big Band 1977
    Pop-Liisa 11: Alwari Tuohitorvi 1974
    Pop-Liisa 12: Kirka & The Islanders 1975

https://www.svartrecords.com/?s=Liisa

Eight new volumes (two of them appeared earlier this year on LP) have been announced for early May release and are up for pre-ordering:

Jazz-Liisa 9: Mike Koskinen Orchestra 1973
    Jazz-Liisa 10: Otto Donner Treatment 1973
    Jazz-Liisa 11: Pentti Lahti Band / Olli Ahvenlahti & Eero Ojanen Duo 1974
    Jazz-Liisa 12: Mircea Stan Quartet / Jukka Ruohomäki 1974

Pop-Liisa 9: Jukka Tolonen Band 1975
    Pop-Liisa 10: Hurmerinta-Sorvali Big Band 1977
    Pop-Liisa 11: Alwari Tuohitorvi 1974
    Pop-Liisa 12: Kirka & The Islanders 1975

Those Jukka Tolonen and Mike Koskinen sets look wonderful.

^ Jukka Tolonen + Pekka Poyry = must have!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Those Jukka Tolonen and Mike Koskinen sets look wonderful.
    I picked up the Jukka on vinyl a couple of months ago. It's a great show!

Looking forward to jazz-liisa 13: Eero Koivistoinen Quartet feat. Philip Catherine

Svart is having a massive sale right now.

Most of the Pop-Liisa and Jazz-Liisa releases as well as Jukka Gusvason Lp's and other stuff are really cheap!

Picked up half a dozen Jazz Liisa releases from Wayside and Laser's Edge. Love the Jukka Tolonen, and Taivaantemppeli stuff. And the Heikki Sarmanto.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    And I thought Being was amazing...
    Together with Lambert Land and Haikara the best ever released in Finland - and there were truly loads of fantastic stuff. Jukka Tolonen, Kalevala, Pohjola and so infinitely much more.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Together with Lambert Land and Haikara the best ever released in Finland - and there were truly loads of fantastic stuff. Jukka Tolonen, Kalevala, Pohjola and so infinitely much more.
    i have to agree with this top 3 from the Finnish 70's
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    And the Heikki Sarmanto.
    Those three discs are fantastic. Probably the best jazz albums I bought this year.

The newest round of Pop-Liisa and Jazz-Liisa releases are out. 13 & 14.

The latest in the liisa series (parts 13-15, pop and jazz):

I am returning to the Jazz-Liisa series with the CD vol. 9&10, which moves away from the dominant jazz-rock vibe of the earlier instalments and brings together two big(ger) bands: Mike Koskinen Orchestra & Otto Donner Treatment, both recorded in 1973.

Mike Koskinen's ensemble builds their music proposal with various (exotic) folk themes and rhythms, think of Don Cherry and Charlie Haden's own orchestras, with a pinch of classic free-jazz, think of Albert Ayler's marching bands. Their subtle take on Chick Corea's "Song for Sally" displays fine arrangement skills of the leader, bringing the session even closer to the contemporary ECM aesthetics. While the charts maintain the order for most of the time, they leave a lot of room for expressive soloing on various types of saxophones over the inimitable irregular groove of Edward Vesala. All in all, a very enjoyable and diverse program.

On the second half of the disc we get back to a more traditional concept of bigger jazz band, of course measured by the early 70s standards. Treatment comprised of an unspecified number of members, at least eight, navigate mainly the blues-inflected free/post-bop waters frequented by Charles Mingus, whose spirit and own roots permeate the music slowly flowing along the charts. Again, there is enough space left for freer improvisations and jamming, and on the closing number they even venture into a freewheeling hippie jazz of Charles Lloyd and Herbie Mann, tempting the listener to play the whole disc again.

Very solid pick.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 03-03-2018 at 05:23 AM.

The next Jazz Liisa CD release (vol. 11&12) has turned out to be a 1974 game of two halves: the first played by Pentti Lahti Band and Olli Ahvenlahti & Eero Ojanen Duo, and the second starring Mircea Stan Quartet and Jukka Ruohomäki ensemble.

Pentti Lahti Band kicks off the proceedings with a sentimental journey back to the heyday of cool-bop, taking on a late 50s Curtis Fuller's tune and a late 30s chestnut. While I dig the quality 50s cool jazz this is not exactly the type of music I'd expect from a mid-70s session. And although the last number sees the band switch to a more contemporary soul-bop it is still below the series' average level.

Olli Ahvenlahti and Eero Ojanen bring us back to the 70s sound with two grand pianos duelling over one original theme and another one lifted from Keith Jarrett's songbook. The performance is a good display of both pianists' chops, but it never ventures beyond the safe jazz zone. For the fans of such format it should work though.

Thankfully as soon as Mircea Stan Quartet take the stage we leave the mainstream waters and head towards folk-tinged free-fusion area. Propelled by excitingly irregular beats by the stunning Tapani "Nappi" Ikonen and capped by hard-to-follow trombone and saxophone zigzagging the group is rather difficult to pinpoint, which makes their session very refreshing. I'd love to hear some more live stuff from this unit.

The release concludes with an electronic freak-out of Jukka Ruohomäki's ensemble, which generate a bizarre palette of noises over a steady pulse of beeps. Although the description may seem unappealing their sole piece actually offers quite a pleasurable experience, especially that it does not overstay its welcome.

It must have happened. After first two excellent discs (four bands) in the jazz series, Jupu Group / Jukka Linkola Octet CD (vol. 5&6) let me down. The opening Jupu Group' session is actually not that bad, balancing mid-70s fusion grooves with more outward bound explorations. Violin attack hesitates between Ponty's sweetness and Sugarcane's edge, while electic piano evoke early 70s Chick Corea's soundscapes. The diversity and musicianship are probably the biggest assets here, because the themes too easily dissolve into directionless jamming or improvisations.

Unfortunately the second half of the disc is totally marred for me by the dark suit professionalism of Jukka Linkola Octet that serve a cocktail of big-bandish cool jazz, hummable soul-bop or groovy fuzak. Even though I can appreciate the ambition of well-crafted compositions and arrangements, the playing for the most of time is so inoffensive, so clichéd, that after a few minutes it just makes me want to press eject. The first truly disappointing pick in the jazz collection.
    I just listened to this cd today and I loved it! Very enjoyable stuff. I think Linkola presented a wonderful set.

The jazz series strikes back with the CD vol. 13&14 two-fer that combines two hot portions of a post-bop/fusion stew. The first course is served by the mighty Eero Koivistoinen Quartet featuring the guitarist extraordinaire Philip Catherine, which delivers four linked pieces of impressionist fusion- and folk-tinged bop, capped by a boiling funky jazz-rock number with Raicho Ivanov joining in on trumpet. Great compositions, smoking renditions, superb interplay - what a set!

Nordjazz Quintet had definitely a tough task to follow such a display of musicianship, but after a few minutes into the first number they made me forget about the opening act. Although not dexterous as the Koivistoinen's group the quintet makes it up with their propulsive jamming that switches effortlessly between bop, fusion and Latin grooves, with a lot of tasteful solos along the way.

Hot pick!

The next CD instalment in the jazz line, vol. 15 & 16, returns to the four session format with somewhat derivative, but overall decent results. The opening band Piirpauke specializes in folk music re-arrangements, but unfortunately the first two numbers are closer to Sky-like new-agey rock than to any serious ethnic jazz. Thankfully their short set concludes with a pleasant exotic drums jam that leads to a solid free-jazz finale, which makes a fitting introduction to the next act. The power saxophone Tapio Tuominen Trio burst on stage with a stomping Sonny Rollins Trio homage piece that quickly gives way to two Coltrane-inspired free improvisations. Solid stuff.

The second half of the disc is taken by two big jazz-rock bands that might be best compared to their contemporary British or US counterparts. Two piece set by Pori Big Band features some thick brass riffs as well as rousing guitar and saxophone solos ideal for any UK jazz-rock fans. Think of Neil Ardley or Michael Gibbs. Tapiola Big Band seem to be more inspired by American (pre-)fusion orchestras, with the focus on multi-layered arrangements and intricate soloist interplay. Think of Don Ellis or Gil Evans. Cool.

The jazz series closes with two volumes, 17 & 18, dedicated to the late, great Edward Vesala. The penultimate chapter is sourced from a 1973 two trios session, with one number in piano trio format and two more pieces led by saxophone. Both present the drummer and Teppo Hauta-Aho on bass in a spirited AACMish (alternatively early ECMish) free-jazz performances.

As good as the trios set is the thunder gets stolen by the 1974 performance of the drummer's octet ensemble that fills up the final volume with otherworldly mixture of avant-garde, jazz and folk music that defies easy comparisons. East meets west, planets get in conjunction, all is one and one is all again. Absolutely terrific. WOW.

It is worth noting that while the jazz line kept the high quality level until the end the Pop Liisa series nosedived after the 10th volume. Four volumes were dedicated to competent but hardly inventive rock (or soul) cover bands (11-12, 15-16), while another four got wasted on lightweight pop/rock or local Schlager (13-14, 17-18).
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 05-20-2018 at 06:45 PM.

It is worth noting that while the jazz line kept the high quality level until the end the Pop Liisa series nosedived after the 10th volume. Four volumes were dedicated to competent but hardly inventive rock (or soul) cover bands (11-12, 15-16), while another four got wasted on lightweight pop/rock or local Schlager (13-14, 17-18).
    I would concur with this completely. The interesting thing for me were some of the choices of the cover songs, Moody Blues, Wishbone Ash, Zappa for example, giving a little insight what people thought would be a great cover tune to play. Not the usual cover tunes I heard during High School days all those centuries ago.

Nice write-ups btw. Thanks for doing them.

A new double-CD/LP live release from Tasavallan Presidentti on Svart:

This sturdy package consists of over 90 minutes of Tasavallan Presidentti on stage in 1972 performing live renditions of material from their most progressive album Lambertland. The package offers a unique view into how the band moulded and twisted the songs live, often creating entirely new work in the process.

Recorded by the Finnish Broadcasting Corporation, the sound quality is excellent.

A1. CELEBRATION OF THE SAVED NINE / THE BARGAIN (13:00)
    A2. LOUNGE (12:36)
    B1. LAMBERTLAND (8:08)
    B2. DANCE (14:19)
    C1. THE BARGAIN (13:40)
    C2. RAMBLIN’ (11:52)
    D1. LAMBERTLAND (6:20)
    D2. DANCE (9:55)
    D3. CELEBRATION OF THE SAVED NINE (9:23)
    https://svartrecords.com/product/live-in-lambertland-4/
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...87-spc-CD.aspx

Looks like a great addition to the 1973 radio session released in the Pop Liisa series.

There needs to be a TP Box Set.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There needs to be a TP Box Set.
    ***Curses*** another thing to buy?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    ***Curses*** another thing to buy?
    We all have our cross to bear, brother.