Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPRP's Best of 2015

DPRP's Best of 2015

Having, enjoyed the discussion in the thread about The Sea of Tranquility's Best Of 2015.

DPRP , have also published their best of lists

This link shows the top 20 as selected by their contributors

http://weekendprog.blogspot.fr/2015/...s-of-2015.html

This link shows the top ten lists of each DPRP contributor

http://weekendprog.blogspot.fr/p/ala...win-peter.html

Suspended
    The first thing I noticed about that Kingcrow clip (their No. 20 album) was the similarity of the image to some of the images used in Steven Wilson's Raven album. That intrigued me enough to listen to the clip. I never heard of Kingcrow, but there seems to be a similarity between their sound and the harder-edged sounds of porcupine Tree & Steven Wilson. Does anyone know if the artwork was done by the same people as for The Raven? The artwork is not something that's going to make me enjoy the music any more or less, I am just interested to know.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The only one of those that makes my list is the William D Drake which is a wonderfully quirky album. As usually I find a lot more in common with the individual lists of Roger Trenwith & Raffaella Berry. Interesring stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The video is made by Gaston vinas, a guy who worked for a Radiohead animated video. Eidos by Kingcrow is a beast of a record, my AOTY for sure. If you miss the heavy PT sound you'd check this guys.

+1 Eidos is also my pick for best album of 2015. Kingcrow's earlier albums are worth listening too (especially if you like PT).

Well, I like a good list and have read articles from DPRP for many years, but they need to step into the 21st century a bit. I find it a bit uninspiring when their top 5 picks trace back 10-20 years...

1. Steven Wilson
    2. Riverside
    3. The Tangent
    4. Neal Morse
    5. Spock's Beard

The list at least gets a bit varied later - even though still heavy in one axis, but just my 2 cents.

I'll check out the Kingcrow and the Drake though. Those are both unfamiliar to me.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Well, I like a good list and have read articles from DPRP for many years, but they need to step into the 21st century a bit. I find it a bit uninspiring when their top 5 picks trace back 10-20 years...

1. Steven Wilson
    2. Riverside
    3. The Tangent
    4. Neal Morse
    5. Spock's Beard
    I think the first three are at least bands that have tried very different things over the years. While I can listen to Neal Morse and SB some, their stuff never excites me enough that I'd list it in a top 10 or 20.

But I usually go to DPRP for a certain cross section of prog, so I sort of want to get what I expect, which these lists delivered. Also, I really don't care if an artist is new or not if they've done something good, not that you meant that exactly.

Suspended

1. Steven Wilson
    2. Riverside
    3. The Tangent
    4. Neal Morse
    5. Spock's Beard

The list at least gets a bit varied later - even though still heavy in one axis, but just my 2 cents.

I'll check out the Kingcrow and the Drake though. Those are both unfamiliar to me.
    The 21st century IS 15 years old now... just saying.

Anyway, I have no problem with a list like this including "older" music, provided it's good music.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The 21st century IS 15 years old now... just saying.
    Thanks, Bob. You do get the point of me mentioning that 4 of the 5 bands were producing music in the 90s, right (granted Andy was with a different group)? Anekdoten was 6th, another 90s band. My point is that we ARE 15 years into a new century and surely there has to be *something* out there within DPRP's world that is worthy of cracking the top 5 that is from a new artist or band? If not, that either says a lot about the editors or a lot about new artists.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But I usually go to DPRP for a certain cross section of prog, so I sort of want to get what I expect, which these lists delivered. Also, I really don't care if an artist is new or not if they've done something good, not that you meant that exactly.
    No, not exactly. I have gone to DPRP for years and years as well. And yes, you do know what to expect after a while. The key word for me was uninspiring. Even if you delve deeper in the top 20, you get Gazpacho, Anekdoten, Hackett, Mystery, Symphony X, echolyn, and Arena as well. It could be 2005, and we could have made up a list with largely the same artists.

As I mentioned in my original post, I do plan to check out 2 of the artists I was unfamiliar with, so I did get something that sparked my interest from the list.

My point is that we ARE 15 years into a new century and surely there has to be *something* out there within DPRP's world that is worthy of cracking the top 5 that is from a new artist or band? If not, that either says a lot about the editors or a lot about new artists.
    The point you make is valid, but I think the issue you highlight is more about DPRP's overall best of list rather than the lists of their individual contributors.
    There are a number of contributors who have more modern bands in their top 5. For example, Agusa, William Drake and Alco Frisbass feature in a number of the contributors lists There are even some obscure bands such as I Will Kill Chita and Breznev Fun club in some of the lists.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    There are a number of contributors who have more modern bands in their top 5. For example, Agusa, William Drake and Alco Frisbass feature in a number of the contributors lists There are even some obscure bands such as I Will Kill Chita and Breznev Fun club in some of the lists.
    Great point. The individual lists are definitely worth perusing.

First of all, thanks to Ian for mentioning my list and Roger's. Neither of us writes a lot for DPRP any more, but we still participate in the weekly feature Something for the Weekend?, where we do our best to spotlight albums that might otherwise fly under the radar. Anyway, while the Top 20 list mentioned in the OP reflects the tastes of the majority of DPRP reviewers - which tend to be somewhat more 'conservative' (in prog terms, of course) than Roger's or mine - a look at the individual lists will turn out quite a few names that are rooted in the 2000's rather than in the 90's (or even earlier). Personally speaking, I made a point of not listing those bands I knew everyone else was going to mention (such as Echolyn and Anekdoten) - though I have to plead guilty to the charge of having chosen a band originally formed in the '70s as my #1. However, Hands are not exactly a household name, and in my view Caviar Bobsled sounds much more modern than a lot of albums released by recently formed bands.

↑↑ I picked up a few by browsing through Something For The Weekend ↑↑
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Raff View Post
    . Anyway, while the Top 20 list mentioned in the OP reflects the tastes of the majority of DPRP reviewers - which tend to be somewhat more 'conservative' (in prog terms, of course) than Roger's or mine - a look at the individual lists will turn out quite a few names that are rooted in the 2000's rather than in the 90's (or even earlier).
    Totally agree, there are some really interesting albums in your, and Rogers lists and also in some of the other individual lists.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Totally agree, there are some really interesting albums in your, and Rogers lists and also in some of the other individual lists.
    I actually like to get a consensus as to the best in neoprog for the year. But yeah, there are some other kinds of opinions I get from DPRP too. I always make a point of looking at the overall list, and the lists from individual reviewers too.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm a constant visitor to DPRP as my taste lines up very favorably. I really believe they nailed the #1 spot. Incredible album by SW. Of their top 20, I would agree with the majority.
    I have bought many based on their recommendations. They are a very valuable resource for me and I really appreciate what they do.

I'm/we're partial to Raff's (and Andre's) list too! We thank them for including our album! DPRP is a great, thorough, reliable site.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    No, not exactly. I have gone to DPRP for years and years as well. And yes, you do know what to expect after a while. The key word for me was uninspiring. Even if you delve deeper in the top 20, you get Gazpacho, Anekdoten, Hackett, Mystery, Symphony X, echolyn, and Arena as well. It could be 2005, and we could have made up a list with largely the same artists.
    Great point. You wonder if product familiarity is playing too big a role. That being said, I gotta go with Hand.Cannot.Erase as my AotY.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The first thing I noticed about that Kingcrow clip (their No. 20 album) was the similarity of the image to some of the images used in Steven Wilson's Raven album. That intrigued me enough to listen to the clip. I never heard of Kingcrow, but there seems to be a similarity between their sound and the harder-edged sounds of porcupine Tree & Steven Wilson. Does anyone know if the artwork was done by the same people as for The Raven? The artwork is not something that's going to make me enjoy the music any more or less, I am just interested to know.
    It was not the same designer.

You can hear the album on our Bandcamp page: lasersedge.bandcamp.com

1. Steven Wilson
    2. Riverside
    3. The Tangent
    4. Neal Morse
    5. Spock's Beard
    Well, we have kind of "prog mainstream" here, and whatever they do, they will be in top 10 or even top 5 no matter what. They know their audience and their play and record what this audience expect. No big surprises, bothing really new, no real challenges, just well-done, comfortable and melodic product that easy to digest. If Flower Kings or Transatlantic made an album in 2015, they'd be in the list too. Even if they were crappy
    In my humble opinion, the 2015 output from those five are not as goos as their previous achivements, especially The Tangent: I guess this is their worst album, except of their previous year's pretencious and annoying opus. Spock's Beard & Neal Morse.... never cared too much of what they do after Days of Night, and never got that hype about Riverside.
    S. Wilson's album is the only one that deserves its place there, although it's weaker than his two previous albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Well, we have kind of "prog mainstream" here, and whatever they do, they will be in top 10 or even top 5 no matter what. They know their audience and their play and record what this audience expect. No big surprises, bothing really new, no real challenges, just well-done, comfortable and melodic product that easy to digest. If Flower Kings or Transatlantic made an album in 2015, they'd be in the list too. Even if they were crappy
    In my humble opinion, the 2015 output from those five are not as goos as their previous achivements, especially The Tangent: I guess this is their worst album, except of their previous year's pretencious and annoying opus. Spock's Beard & Neal Morse.... never cared too much of what they do after Days of Night, and never got that hype about Riverside.
    S. Wilson's album is the only one that deserves its place there, although it's weaker than his two previous albums.
    Good points. In the interests of full disclosure, I own the entire catalog for all the groups in the top 5 (with the exception of a few of the post-Morse Beard). And I think you hit on a good point - for me anyway. To each his own and tastes are subjective, but I agree that these are not the strongest releases from all of those except Wilson. And yes, if there was a TFK or TA album, it would have been there as well regardless of quality.

DPRP go for the obvious and they are usually more orientated to the European well known artist too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think the first three are at least bands that have tried very different things over the years. While I can listen to Neal Morse and SB some, their stuff never excites me enough that I'd list it in a top 10 or 20.

Riverside and the Tangent have not changed in my opinion, they continue with wakeman constant whistling none stop keys.

The lists nowadays are as diverse as the reviews you read on Amazon. Everything is 5 stars and great and then you get a few dissenters. So I do find all these list fairly pointless and meaningless these days.

And I agree with the post that says that the list makers need to drag themselves into the new millenium. A lot of the music they judge is rehashed.