Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: They got better with every album

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I agree with Progatron. Although Subterranea is a very good album, it is not as good as anything IQ has released since.
    Unbelievable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The Clash up to and including London Calling. Sandinista is mighty good, but it's all over the place.
    What's wrong with that?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Subterranea is the only album I like from IQ's catalog.

I can't think of a band that really meets the criteria of this thread.

I had not thought about The Police, but I would agree with that one. I thought each of their albums got better with the last one being my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    It was all downhill for The Beatles after Sgt. Pepper!

!
    For me “Abby Road” is the perfect Beatles album. I just listened to it again recently and still think it is their stone classic. The final line “and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make” is pretty much the perfect way to end a career.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    IQ could fit this description for me.
    I don’t know. I like “The Wake” better than “Are You Sitting Comfortably” which came after it. I would agree that the band has been on a role since then though.

Thrash metal band Overkill

Not many actually.

Most of my favourite artists released their best stuff early on OR peaked mid-career.

I'd put a vote in for Iron Maiden though.

Also, I'd agree on The Beatles if it weren't for their horrible final release, Let It Be. Because Abbey Road is perfect, my favourite Beatles album.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^ABBA without a doubt. 'Like An Angel Passing Through My Room' is a song on The Visitors where you think, 'they were doing 'Bang A Boomerang' around 6/7 years earlier!'.
    Totally agree. I decided to buy the remastered Visitors a few years ago and it was the first time I'd heard the album and I was blown away. The Visitors, Soldiers and Slipping Through My Fingers are my other favs on the album. The album as a whole is as proggy as anything released in the 80s by most of the so-called prog bands.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Not many actually.

Most of my favourite artists released their best stuff early on OR peaked mid-career.

I'd put a vote in for Iron Maiden though.

Also, I'd agree on The Beatles if it weren't for their horrible final release, Let It Be. Because Abbey Road is perfect, my favourite Beatles album.
    The only thing about Maiden would be that they did have the Blaze Baily years in the middle of their career and just before that albums like “Fear Of The Dark” were not all that great.

As for The Beatles, I guess I don’t really count “Let It Be” as an official album. It was actually recorded before “Abby Road” and was kind of thrown together after the fact.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For me “Abby Road” is the perfect Beatles album. I just listened to it again recently and still think it is their stone classic. The final line “and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make” is pretty much the perfect way to end a career.
    I think the first side of Abbey Road is mostly clunkers. They redeem themselves somewhat in the second half with "Because" and with the long medley, but I would place this album below Rubber Soul and possibly even Hard Day's Night and Help!

Steven Wilson

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Steven Wilson
    Not for me. I like all his solo albums, but I don't think The Raven was as consistently good as his other three.

I assume you're not including "Cover Version", which is fair enough since the songs on it were recorded over a number of years, some of them before Insurgentes.

I don’t know. I like “The Wake” better than “Are You Sitting Comfortably” which came after it. I would agree that the band has been on a role since then though.
    Yes, I suppose I'm talking about from Ever onward.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

In thinking about this, it seems that most bands undergo somewhat of a bell curve, starting and ending their careers with music that doesn't approach the peak of their greatness.

Iron Maiden comes to mind. Starting off slow with the debut, a nice boost with the second, classic albums through Powerslave, and then a descent. Yes fits this mold, too.

Other bands exhibit the ramp effect: start out with stone cold classics and then ramp down to various levels of bottom. ELP?

A corollary would be the upward ramp effect. The Beatles exemplify this. A slow start with more or less consistent brilliance to the end! They may be the closest to the OP's mark. I can't really think of any band or musician that consistently outdid his previous work. Beethoven?

Tom Petty & TH's

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    What's wrong with that?
    I concede. Then, the Clash up to and including Combat Rock.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Thrash metal band Overkill
    No... they went the other way round. The oldest, the better!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'll say The Dixie Dregs. Because Industry Standard has their best songwriting on it and every note "says it". It's a perfect album in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I'll say The Dixie Dregs. Because Industry Standard has their best songwriting on it and every note "says it". It's a perfect album in my book.
    But then they made "Full Circle," which is their worst album imo. Not that they ever made a bad album, but personally, I think they peaked out with "Dregs of the Earth."

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I think the first side of Abbey Road is mostly clunkers. They redeem themselves somewhat in the second half with "Because" and with the long medley, but I would place this album below Rubber Soul and possibly even Hard Day's Night and Help!
    Well let's not get carried away. But fwiw, I agree about Abbey Road; the only song I really like on side 1 is "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and it's a little too long for it's own good. I do think side 2 is excellent from start to finish; possibly their best work ever. But they've certainly made more consistent albums than Abbey Road.

As for The Beatles, I guess I don’t really count “Let It Be” as an official album. It was actually recorded before “Abby Road” and was kind of thrown together after the fact.
    Agreed. And it was not only incomplete, they simply didn't want it released.

Surprised nobody mentioned Hendrix. Sure, it was three albums, but they certainly did progress.

Of course, based on the Beatles comments alone, this is subjective like any other thread of this type.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Surprised nobody mentioned Hendrix. Sure, it was three albums, but they certainly did progress.
    Three if you don't count "First Rays of the New Rising Sun." And maybe it's not fair to count it because Jimi passed away before it was finished and despite Eddie Kramer's noble attempts to stick to Jimi's plan... well, he wasn't Jimi, for whom mixing and post production was very important. It's interesting that the album saw Hendrix revisiting his soul roots, but in general, I don't think his songwriting or his playing was at his usual par, despite a few gems like "Freedom," "Angel" and "Drifting."

Getting back to the other three albums, I think his songwriting actually peaked on "Axis: Bold As Love," but his playing and arranging was at it's finest on "Electric Ladyland." YMMV.

I'd love 'clunkers' such as 'Come Together' and 'Something'.

With Hendrix, I think the Band Of Gypsys album is patchy. The First Rays... material is strong though IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'd love 'clunkers' such as 'Come Together' and 'Something'.
    I didn't actually call them "clunkers." But we all have our tastes. "Come Together" is okay, not great (imo of course). And though "Something" is a well loved song, I never cared for it much; I think it's pretty hokey. Maybe this is weird, but I think the best tune George Harrison wrote for The Beatles is "Don't Bother Me."