Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Blu-Ray Losing the Video Wars?

The correct abb. is BD, nothing else, not BR and not BRD.

I think it only makes sense to have physical copies of certain movies in high definition format. Some character-driven drama type movie benefits very little from a sharper image and high quality sound, IMO. How often are you really going to watch something like that? That sort of thing makes more sense to just stream (for me anyway). So how many blockbuster action movies with lots of cool explosions or movies with incredible scenery do you need to be able to buy to make the investment in all the newest gadgetry worthwhile? Everyone is different, but I really don't watch 99.9999% of movies more than once, possibly twice...so I wonder what percentage of the population feels that having the latest and greatest (and, to be relevant to the OP) needs to have a physical copy anyway? The competition from streaming slows the adoption rate, at least for now.
    <sig out of order>

There aren't very many movies I have watched multiple times, but the ones I have it's mainly because all the background details add to the story and I get more out of it each time (Blade Runner is a good example). Other movies, like IMAX documentaries, I might only watch one or two times but the higher resolution is worthwhile to me.

The vast majority? Yeah, once in SD is enough.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That chart is flipping nuts. Who sits three feet away from a big screen TV??? And I disagree with the contention that you can't see the difference from farther away.
    I think the chart is more useful coming at it from the other direction, e.g.: If you're going to sit 10 feet away from the TV, you'll want a 60-inch or larger screen to make the improvement from 720p to 1080p worthwhile. Since this describes the difference between much broadcast/cable "HD" and Blu-ray, it's a worthwhile benchmark.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The correct abb. is BD, nothing else, not BR and not BRD.
    How about B-R D?

On our 55" TV, the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is quite noticeable. Since our three-year-old son seems to dictate most of our viewing choices these days, I can report that Pixar animated features are quite stunning on Blu-Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Not if you don't want companies like Netflix and AMC to have a firm grip on your junk. I'm intrigued by Robert Pashman's burning his own BRs, because I still need to burn "illegal" downloads occasionally. To keep The Man off my junk that is, not the little guys. I don't mind if they affix themselves to my junk for a bit.
    Good luck in your fight against "The Man" for the protection of your junk.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    On our 55" TV, the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is quite noticeable. Since our three-year-old son seems to dictate most of our viewing choices these days, I can report that Pixar animated features are quite stunning on Blu-Ray.
    FWIW my dog Desi, who never paid any attention to TV before I got the Samsung 4K curved screen, now runs up to the screen and barks on his hind legs every time a dog comes on.

He also barks at horses, cartoon dogs, warthogs and occasionally cats. Never people or anything else.

How do you like that curved TV? When I bought mine I considered but ultimately said no because of viewing angles. You have to pretty much be directly in front right? They look sharp though!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

There is even a BD on every film case. The term is Blu-ray Disc. Blu-ray is one word, hence the small r.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    How do you like that curved TV? When I bought mine I considered but ultimately said no because of viewing angles. You have to pretty much be directly in front right? They look sharp though!
    Viewing angle is not appreciably less than a flat screen, because the curve is actually pretty minor. As I stated last time we discussed this, the primary advantage of the curved screen so far as I can tell is that it eliminates reflections from lamps in the room.

FYI, I/we used the program Toast (made by Roxio) on my Mac. Our latest video is around 90 minutes shot in 1080P. I set Toast to it's highest quality setting (least compression) and did audio at 24bit/48khz PCM (beyond CD quality) audio since 5.1 or 7.1 wouldn't have been achievable. The single-layer BDR's I use fit 90-120 minutes with the highest setting of audio and video quality.

BDRs?

BDRs?
    Hey, what the heck do Battle Damage Reports have to do with this? I'm starting to suspect that you like me might also have been armoured infantry

That anything like a TPS report?

^ Sheesh. Guy makes a typo, and you all give him the 3rd degree.

That anything like a TPS report?

No idea, I don't know what TPS stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No idea, I don't know what TPS stands for.
    Reference to the American cult classic movie Office Space. Generally pigeonholed as a comedy except for those who have worked in cubicle farms or chain restaurants in which case it's a very realistic horror film.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FWIW my dog Desi, who never paid any attention to TV before I got the Samsung 4K curved screen, now runs up to the screen and barks on his hind legs every time a dog comes on.

He also barks at horses, cartoon dogs, warthogs and occasionally cats. Never people or anything else.
    Our cat goes crazy for elephants on the plasma display - nothing else except elephants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Generally pigeonholed as a comedy except for those who have worked in cubicle farms or chain restaurants in which case it's a very realistic horror film.
    True dat.

I had a boss 7 years ago who was a DEAD RINGER, in looks, wardrobe, personality and managing style for Bill Lumbergh. He used to take my work and present it to his manager as his own.

He got promoted. He then fired me when I tried to go over his head and complain.

By the way, TPS reports are real.. I had to fill them out before.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 01-03-2016 at 07:43 PM.

True dat.

I had a boss 7 years ago who was a DEAD RINGER, in looks, wardrobe, personality and managing style for Bill Lumbergh. He used to take my work and present it to his manager as his own.

He got promoted. He then fired me when I tried to go over his head and complain.

Your boss sounds like my kind of guy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    True dat.

Who the hell cares, as long as you were wearing enough flair.

BDRs?
    Blu-ray Disc Recordable.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart