Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RIP Lemmy!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I urge all of you to watch the Lemmy Biography. You truly get the sense that he was a people's man, as stated in the press release posted above.
    I saw this upon release several years back - great glimpse into his life, music, hobbies and especially his boy. I came away with the feeling that he was almost a hermit of sorts - lonely at times and melancholy about (some of) his choices in life. A thinker for sure . . .

I have his autograph on something somewhere from the '81 Boston show - gotta dig that out.

I urge all of you to watch the Lemmy Biography. You truly get the sense that he was a people's man, as stated in the press release posted above.
    Ditto. Great biopic. Interviewer: "Do you guys get lots of girls?" [Lemmy gestures to the empty part of the room.] Lemmy: "Do ya see any around here?"

A bit of a change of pace for Lemmy but definitely one of his best

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

]
    Agreed, it is one of my all-time favorite Motorhead tracks. In fact I think the whole “1916” album is really strong. It sounds like was recorded in a tin can (at least the version I have), but the material is really good.

NP: Train Kept A Rolling (the live version).

I'm planning to do that when my wife goes back to work from vacation. What's the best book to read? I've become gradually more and more curious about Lemmy and want to know more about him.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm planning to do that when my wife goes back to work from vacation. What's the best book to read? I've become gradually more and more curious about Lemmy and want to know more about him.
    I think he is referring to LEMMY the rockumentary movie which is indeed a very insightful film! I think there is also a autobiography out there?

Sounds like Roger Waters.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Loved Lemmy with Hawkwind, unfortunately they kicked him out a few months before the USA Space Ritual Tour, otherwise I would have seen him, Calvert and Nik...

I believe that was at the start of the Warrior On The Edge Of Time tour of the US (1975).

So...uh...who's gonna replace Lemmy for the next Motörhead tour?

I jest., I jest.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Memorial service webcast starting at 5:30pm est today-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Gene Simmons attended the memorial:

http://www.kissonline.com/news?n_id=124087

Today we attended Lemmy Kilmister’s Memorial Event…To celebrate the man, and the legend.

Attending in honor of Lemmy were: Sharon, Ozzy and Geezer. Dave Grohl, who testified to what Motorhead meant to him. And Lars Ulrich, who told the story of the time he first met Lem, as an 18 year old kid with big dreams, went to visit Lem at the Sunset Marquis and in short order threw up on himself. And Triple H, who waxed poetic about the love he had for the man. And Rob Halford, Slash, Duff, Scott Ian, Eric Singer. And many more.

My own story involved meeting Lem in 1974, or perhaps it was in early 1975, when his band HAWKWIND (named after sci-fi/fantasy writer’s Michael Moorcock’s book of the same name, which I read and loved as a teenager) opened for KISS somewhere in Middle America. Hawkwind was a psychedelic rock band, eclectic, with a wonderful 6’2” belly dancer: Stacia.

Lem and I didn’t meet up again until a few years later. And continued to run into each other backstage at shows, or at big festivals, when Motorhead would be on the bill…always with a big “How are you.” And a welcoming hug.

A few years ago, I was filming a TV show called ROCK SCHOOL. It was filmed in England (1st season at Christ Church Hospital). I was teaching young 14 year olds to put down the booze and the hooch, and pick up an instrument and learn to care about something else in life, like putting together a rock band, and writing your own song for the first time. And they did.

And the transformation of these young people into committed rockers, who cared, was inspiring. But, how do I end the 1st season on an up?...After these young people did all the work, what’s the payoff? So, I called Lem and his management, who happened to be playing London at the time and they kindly agreed to let this new band, who had never played or recorded anywhere, open up for MOTORHEAD at the sold out Hammersmith Odeon, in London England.

Backstage before the show, the kids were nervous as hell, as you can imagine. I walked into Lemmy’s room and thanked him for giving them a chance. And he responded quite naturally, that someone had once given him a chance. I said thank you again, and said I had to go into the young band’s room to bolster their confidence level before they went on stage.

Lemmy immediately stood up and despite my objections, walked into the new band’s room, and what I saw, were young, wide eyed kids getting the schooling of their life, from someone who’d been there and done that. And more importantly, he reminded the kids that once upon a time, he was them. And that anything is possible.

And that night, these young rockers went out there with fire in their veins, and rocked the house.
    That was Lemmy.
    Unassuming. Non judgemental. With a heart of gold.
    I never heard anyone, fan or other bands ever say anything bad about Lem.

I’ve certainly heard “Asshole” thrown my way, once or twice. But never at Lemmy.
    A great man.

Lemmy was mostly, comfortable in his own skin. And perhaps that’s something we can all learn from.

- Gene Simmons

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Outtake from a recent Finnish milk ad with Lemmy
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973