Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heart...Live 1976

Saw them in the late 1970's when they warmed up Cheap Trick. Someone convinced me to attend the show and fronted me the $10 ticket - - - -

I was seriously blown away - especially with Roger Fisher . . . he was on fire, and came back out (w/Ann & Nancy too) to play with CT for their last encore song (ELO Kiddies) = those doubled leads were solid w/Rick & Roger together.

My respect level for both bands went through the roof that night.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    I was seriously blown away - especially with Roger Fisher . . . he was on fire
    An excellent guitarist who was, in my opinion, better at soloing that Jimmy Page but not nearly as inventive as a songwriter as Page.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Around the 47:30 mark, they announce themselves from Vancouver (which I thought so for over three decades), yet everyone on the web hints/claims at Seattle;.. any reasons for this?
    They are from Seattle. If memory serves, they relocated to Vancouver for a while before hitting it big, in order for one of the Fisher brothers (Mike, iirc) to dodge the draft.

I may not be remembering this with complete accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Sounds like the Fleetwood Mac Soap Opera era.
    In the early years Heart could give Fleetwood Mac a run for their money in the soap opera category.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    They are from Seattle. If memory serves, they relocated to Vancouver for a while before hitting it big, in order for one of the Fisher brothers (Mike, iirc) to dodge the draft.

I may not be remembering this with complete accuracy.
    Correct, it was Michael (the non-member of the band and Ann's boyfriend) who was dodging the draft. By the time of Dreamboat Annie, the war had ended and presumably it was safe for them to return so I don't think they moved back because they hit it big so much as they were able to without legal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Saw them in the late 1970's when they warmed up Cheap Trick. Someone convinced me to attend the show and fronted me the $10 ticket - - - -

I was seriously blown away - especially with Roger Fisher . . . he was on fire, and came back out (w/Ann & Nancy too) to play with CT for their last encore song (ELO Kiddies) = those doubled leads were solid w/Rick & Roger together.

My respect level for both bands went through the roof that night.
    My two favorite 'classic rock' bands of that era - both are still capable of delivering a great show. Ann Wilson still sings in the same range as she did in her 20's. I saw Heart in '79, I was a prog music snob and was going with a pack of friends, for the hell of it - but they were bloody awesome. Their set list was all their best tunes up to Dog and Butterfly - with Rock and Roll and Harry Nilsson's Without You for added measure.
    It should be noted that Barracuda is one of the few top 40 radio hits that doesn't go in 4/4 time....
    Everything is easy, yeah?!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by schlep View Post
    My two favorite 'classic rock' bands of that era - both are still capable of delivering a great show. Ann Wilson still sings in the same range as she did in her 20's. I saw Heart in '79, I was a prog music snob and was going with a pack of friends, for the hell of it - but they were bloody awesome. Their set list was all their best tunes up to Dog and Butterfly - with Rock and Roll and Harry Nilsson's Without You for added measure.
    It should be noted that Barracuda is one of the few top 40 radio hits that doesn't go in 4/4 time....
    Just in case you didn't know (you probably did), the song wasn't written by Nilsson, but by the guys from Badfinger.

As for Barracuda, you could almost say that it doesn't have a time signature.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Just in case you didn't know (you probably did)
    Precisely! lol
    Everything is easy, yeah?!

Once while Heart was touring with Nazareth, Manny Charlton walked up to Ann backstage and accused Heart of stealing the riff from "Telegram" to write "Barracuda". She explained to him that actually it was taken from "Achilles Last Stand" and then stood there as he played the riffs in his head. Then he said "Oh, you're right" and walked away.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart