Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart...Live 1976

Heart...Live 1976

Hello Everyone -

I'm over at YouTube and listening to (Heart - Live at KWSU TV Studio (the second ending)) WOW! Those guys were certainly out to prove themselves .... and did so indeed! I saw Heart on those early days opening the bill with the Beach Boys. Fantastic set and I to this day find the Wilson Sisters very classy and a fine addition to my ears...But I pretty much stopped after Dog and Butterfly.

Take a look...PLEASE

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Ann is playing some cool flute on that first tune. Kinda Tull-ish. Is that instrumental on an album? Cool synth solo too! Prog?

This is also included on their boxed set.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Heart has had a bit of a resurgence since they got back together (well at least the sisters started calling themselves Heart again) and have been putting out some really good albums. Their latest "Fanatic" is really good and I think their 2004 album "Jupiter's Darling" ranks up with the best they have ever done.

Suspended
    That concert must have been a bit of a Wilson-fest.

I've never seen Heart, but I did once hear a recording of Nancy Wilson doing LZ's The Immigrant Song. She is probably one of the few besides Robert Plant who could do the song justice.

I'm assuming you mean Ann.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

I've never seen Heart, but I did once hear a recording of Nancy Wilson doing LZ's The Immigrant Song. She is probably one of the few besides Robert Plant who could do the song justice.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Fantastic set and I to this day find the Wilson Sisters very classy and a fine addition to my ears...But I pretty much stopped after Dog and Butterfly.
    Bebe le Strange and Passionworks have their moments. Their reunion album Jupiter’s Darling is well-reviewed. Private Audition is totally skippable, though, and I’d avoid their post-Passionworks 80s stuff. Really crass AOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Ann is playing some cool flute on that first tune. Kinda Tull-ish. Is that instrumental on an album? Cool synth solo too! Prog?
    I’d say their strongest influences on those early albums would be Led Zeppelin (obviously) and Jethro Tull.
    Last edited by Progbear; 12-28-2015 at 04:31 AM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I always considered Heart to be borderline prog in the same way that Zeppelin was (or wasn't) in that there are tinges of prog in a number of their early songs even though they were not prog bands. Most prog oriented song is Mistral Wind but also check out Sing Child Sing and Magazine just to name a couple. I agree with SteveSly, check out Jupiter's Darling. Its as good as anything they've done since Dog & Butterfly and probably ranks around 4th of all their albums. Its a real shame that Ann cut back on the flute playing after Little Queen/Magazine (Magazine was recorded earlier but released after). It really added a nice element to their songs.

I still think this is awesome.

Yeah, that Stairway performance was really impressive. I think even Plant & Page were impressed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Private Audition is totally skippable
    It opens with one of their best songs, "City's Burning."

I took progeezer's ghost (now 36) to see Heart when he was about 8. He not only went apeshit at the time, but was the darling of the surrounding audience with his antics. He & I both had a WTF? reaction to the opener, Michael f'ng Bolton!

I still love the Wilson sisters, and have several albums, including Nancy's acoustic solo album. I have the Jupiter's Darling reunion album and completely agree with Michigan Steve that it's a very under-listened to gem in their catalog.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It opens with one of their best songs, "City's Burning."
    Agree, that is a great song, but the rest of the album is pretty mediocre.

I saw them less than a year ago and they did 3 Led Zeppelin tracks for their encore. Personally I would have liked to have heard more original stuff, but they do Zeppelin very well, and have almost always had at least one Zep song in their set-list for most of their career.

while obviously influenced by LZ, I'll take Mistral Wind over any single LZ song
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    while obviously influenced by LZ, I'll take Mistral Wind over any single LZ song
    I love Mistral Wind and am a bigger Heart fan than LZ, but I'd have to slightly disagree here. Rain Song and Ten Years Gone are easily as good, maybe better.

By the way, back to the aforementioned Jupiter's Darling, they have a song called Lost Angel which to me sounds like they are trying to recreate the epic nature of Mistral Wind. Definitely one of the best songs they've produced since the 70s.

For those who are panning Private Auditions (with reason), check out The Situation. Its fairly proggy for Heart.

FWIW, I consider Ann Wilson the only person on Earth who can do Robert Plant better than Robert Plant - she has every bit of the power, plus she's singing in her natural range rather than a weird forced yelp.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    FWIW, I consider Ann Wilson the only person on Earth who can do Robert Plant better than Robert Plant - she has every bit of the power, plus she's singing in her natural range rather than a weird forced yelp.
    Agreed!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I first saw them summer of '78. Me, my brother, and our cohorts were hanging over the stage barrier. Ann was in front of my brother and Nancy was in front of me. Just an awesome show, they really were on fire back then. I must say that watching Nancy Wilson in her early twenties stalking the stage in a leather mini-dress is very taxing for a 19-year-old. If I close my eyes I can still picture her.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I first saw them summer of '78. Me, my brother, and our cohorts were hanging over the stage barrier. Ann was in front of my brother and Nancy was in front of me. Just an awesome show, they really were on fire back then. I must say that watching Nancy Wilson in her early twenties stalking the stage in a leather mini-dress is very taxing for a 19-year-old. If I close my eyes I can still picture her.
    STOP IT!! Now that you've said that, I have the same image now & may need to rub, um, er, take a break before too long!

I'll spare you my reminisce of her high leg kick during "Crazy on You".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Heart were such a great band until Roger Fisher left, in the 80's they became stooges of corporate rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ... in the 80's they became stooges of corporate rock.
    thats a great band name

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    I still think this is awesome.

Mega Swiss cheese fondue if you ask me...

The only thing cool was to see a US president in the attendance.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

That's one band I never got to see live in their prime (not interested at all in their 80's AOR period)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Ann is playing some cool flute on that first tune. Kinda Tull-ish. Is that instrumental on an album? Cool synth solo too!
    fairly amateurish filming, BTW

There are a few tunes I don't remember ever hearing on Heart albums (but Alzheimer strikes me sometimes)... and TBH, I also didn't remember any flutes on those early albums

Prog?
    Ok, I'll bite (since no-one else did)

The flute is proggy, but I find little else prog (especially not the bow on guitar thingie)

Around the 47:30 mark, they announce themselves from Vancouver (which I thought so for over three decades), yet everyone on the web hints/claims at Seattle;.. any reasons for this?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.