Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: If you listen to Pop, do you like it as much as prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    But in the case of rap, the attitude is "authentic" even if the music differs: There's a hypersexed bad-boy outlaw image like the Stones, political street poetry like Dylan, the whole "fuck art, let's dance" outlook like garage bands. There's also a political subtext to including rap. However, it boils down to rap being effectively the latest iteration of black street music - if you include Sixties soul music in the HoF (and to even pretend to be inclusive, you must), you have to include funk, ...
    Remember Chuck Berry and Little Richard?
    Rock is "black music", but white people can play it too.
    Funk is a style of Rock music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    You guys realize prog is pop right? Prog is a subgenre of rock, which is a subgenre of pop.
    Again, as I said in my OP, the thread is regarding pop that isn't at all prog. It doesn't matter if prog is pop or not.

Prog is jazz dressed as a whore. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Prog is jazz dressed as a whore. Discuss.
    This might do a really fun thread. So, following its spirit, I would say that Rock is black music dressed as a playboy
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Prog is jazz dressed as a whore. Discuss
    No, it's an early 20th century orchestral composer such as Sibelius or Strauss or Bartók, dressed in a natty suit and tie with a waistcoat, mustache optional.

Jean_Sibelius_1913.jpg

strauss_richard.jpg

Bartok.jpg
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    No, it's an early 20th century orchestral composer such as Sibelius or Strauss or Bartók, dressed in a natty suit and tie with a waistcoat, mustache optional.
    Really? Even Hawkwind or Ozric Tentacles is that?

As far I know, Sibelius, Strauss and Bartók didn't take massive amounts of LSD, so no.
    ...or you could love

It really depends on the age old question.....what is prog? I like some Tears for Fears as much as other prog. Others might say it is Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Thonk98 View Post
    It really depends on the age old question.....what is prog? I like some Tears for Fears as much as other prog. Others might say it is Pop.
    Yeah, if it's "Tears For Fears" or "The Explorers' Club" I like it as much as most prog. Anyone else, probably not.

But the pop that to me is kind of average yet still gets created and consumed? I find myself thinking that people who like it have poor taste in music. I guess this makes me a type of prog snob (shocking!), and I'm not saying I'm right, because I know there's pop I find boring that others here like ( such as all Beach Boys, and most Motown music).

But if there's pop you like that doesn't approach prog (as you understand it) in some way, do you like it as much as the prog you like? Do you mentally have to lower the bar, does it stimulate a different part of your brain (or body)?
    So, JKL2000, after 6 pages of exposition and examples, have you come to appreciate a new perspective on pop? Have any of the posted examples moved you?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Thanks to that warm and catchy melody of 'Ebony and Ivory' I think Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney would have done a good prog group, I love that song uhhh..

Just kidding , but I like the song indeed.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    This might do a really fun thread. So, following its spirit, I would say that Rock is black music dressed as a playboy
    2010s girl-pop is rock dressed in not much at all, actually.

It's not really a good place to start, because my OP asks about music you listen to that is pop but is in no way prog. But I agree with you that pop that has prog traits is "quality," while, IMO, pop with no prog traits isn't "quality."
    I think we're on the same page here. We just started at a different place.
    Host of The PM Show on 107.1 & 91.1, KXRY, Portland, Oregon, USA, 99.9 KXRW-LP, Vancouver, Washington, USA, Jazzbox Radio International in Paris, France http://www.jazzbox-radio.fr/ and streaming online everywhere at www.xray.fm