Thread: Tributary Records (Scrap Book)

Tributary Records (Scrap Book)

Hello Progressive Ears members!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and holiday season.

I just recently found out about this site and forum and wanted to make an introduction about our boutique label "Tributary" for those (probably most) who haven't heard of us.

I'm Mike, and co founded with John Miner back in 2000 after being an investor in the rock opera "Heavens Cafe'" which was staged at The Flamingo Theater (Las Vegas) in 1996 then did another run in 1997. It was then picked up by Insurgo in Los Angeles in 2003, if I remember right, although I wasn't involved in that run of six weeks out there.

Around that time we released an earlier work called "Mantra Sunrise" which was a very moving live band and they made a record that I felt compelled to help see some light, which it did. We worked with some other groups around the Las Vegas area with mixed results and released a few more albums during the mid 2000's.

One of the focuses has been collaboration outside or extending beyond just musicians and a band. We've enjoyed working with theater groups, photographers, film makers, painters, dancers, choreographers with varying degrees of success. It's been interesting if not challenging to find common vision and ground on cross pollinating projects. However, it does seem to be quite rewarding when it does work!

We've been somewhat out of the loop and a bit hesitant to fully embrace the internet age of music after we felt quite violated during the Napster, file sharing craze a few years back. We did actually do fairly well before that, being able to pay musicians and finance projects etc. Since that time, we have focused more on local events and embracing the communities that support us more directly.

That being said, again a hello to everyone!

I'll pop on here from time to time and post music, videos, interviews or other things that might be of interest to those here who enjoy the more eclectic side of the musical arts.

I'll kick off with a collaboration of new music by "Art Rock Circus" and South African painter Teddy Fisher who wanted to work with the group after seeing them perform at a show earlier this year. The images are all taken from segments of one painting then collaged into this short music film. Much of it was written first on sheet music, then rehearsed and finally performed live while Teddy was painting along to the music. Four or five takes were recorded, with this being what the band felt was the most compelling. The painting was then presented a month or so later.

Drummer Nolan Stolz and keyboardist Brook Hansen flew out to California for the sessions to play with John and Kelton.

http://tributarymusic.com
    Last edited by Tributary Records; 12-26-2015 at 05:40 AM.

This coming year will be the 20th anniversary of The Rock Opera "Heavens Cafe'" we staged in Las Vegas in 1996. It's hard to believe that much time has flown by.

Here are some never before seen photos from opening night put to the music of the albums 10th track "The Dark Part 1".

Over the years there have been many inquiries about us releasing a DVD of the opera etc. We did have a three camera shoot on video, but the footage was not up to the caliber of the music recording. The reason was mainly because a dark theater does not shoot well on video. We didn't want to detract from the music which we felt stood quite well on it's own. I think it has stood the test of time nicely. The band had a great night when the tape reels were spinning.

In hindsight we probably should have booked two extra days in the theater with a professional lighting crew that could have assisted in the shooting of the visual side of the play. The actors did a great job and we were working with many fine professionals, some of whom were moonlighting for us from other Vegas production shows at the time such as Mystere and Sigfried and Roy, Penn and Teller, Follies Begere' among others.

We also got really lucking landing Charis who had just choreographed Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway the year before. She was in Vegas looking for work and offered to do a few of the key dance numbers after she heard the work from the original CD.

I'll try to get some of the other music from the show up here soon.

Last edited by Tributary Records; 12-28-2015 at 04:18 AM.

So I went to your site - BTW there is another company called Tributary Records. Anyway I listened to Nolan Stoltz Rock Opera and was very impressed. So much so that I wanted buy it, but the distribution link sent me to another site that did not have it or any NSRO, and I can't seem to find a "store" on your site. Is there a way to purchase your releases that I missed?
    Last edited by R_burke; 12-28-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    So I went to your site - BTW there is another company called Tributary Records. Anyway I listened to Nolan Stoltz Rock Opera and was very impressed. So much so that I wanted buy it, but the distribution link sent me to another site that did not have it or any NSRO, and I can't seem to find a "store" on your site. Is there a way to purchase your releases that I missed?
    Try Nolan Stolz Rock Orchestra (Not Rock Opera)

nrso.jpg

We don't have a store on our site. We don't see the point in competing against the distributors that are trying to help the artists, labels etc.
    It's another thread of discussion for sure.

The NRSO project is available for download I believe on Amazon, CD Baby and probably other sites at this time. That decision was made by the artist not us.

The physical CD's for NRSO have been pressed and we have those in house, but there was some problem with the booklets that had to be sent back or re printed. We should have that sorted out soon. We feel strongly that the artwork and music should work together and not be excluded from one another.

That being said, we haven't decided about our direction moving forward. There certainly has been debate about moving away from any kind of digital formats. Being a boutique label, an all analog catalog may be a good fit for us. Most major cities have several vinyl stores. Then of course there is mail order etc that could be handled by our distributors as well.

Nothing ruled out at this time though.
    Last edited by Tributary Records; 12-28-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
    Try Nolan Stolz Rock Orchestra (Not Rock Opera)

nrso.jpg

We don't have a store on our site. We don't see the point in competing against the distributors that are trying to help the artists, labels etc.
    It's another thread of discussion for sure.

The NRSO project is available for download I believe on Amazon, CD Baby and probably other sites at this time. That decision was made by the artist not us.

The physical CD's for NRSO have been pressed and we have those in house, but there was some problem with the booklets that had to be sent back or re printed. We should have that sorted out soon.
    My preference is physical CD so I will check back

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    So I went to your site - BTW there is another company called Tributary Records.
    Quite sure we were there first. We licensed in 1998 and had a website up also around that time, then started releasing music just after that.
    Now if they were going to use our logo, then we might have to get out the boxing gloves!

Here is a clip from a recent show at The Empress Theater. The Art Rock Ensemble was chosen to headline the " Visions of the Wild Festival" put on by the US Department of Forestry celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. The promoter loved the band and put them in the top slot ahead of all the other recent popular genres. There was music going on all weekend. There was some nice footage shot and the sound was very well recorded from two nights. Our videographer put together some highway clips to keep with the thematic - theme.

This song is called "Highway 13" representing the tug of war between roads and the vastness of America that was once all wilderness. The piece was commissioned so the band was paid to perform in a 13/8 time signature! Pretty cool gig! There were 6 songs performed and either composed or arranged for the event. The parameters were set to stay relevant to nature and wilderness thematically. The final song which I'll post here at some point, brought the house down and featured a gorgeous belly dancer performing to an Indian sounding trance piece with a big epic ending. It was a special night and event, and we were fortunate to be a big part of it.

Last edited by Tributary Records; 01-03-2016 at 04:46 AM.

Never before seen footage of John Miner's Rock Opera "Heavens Cafe'" performed live at the Flamingo Theater in Las Vegas circa 1996
    The footage recently surfaced after being thought lost for years.

Enjoy