Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Food Thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Holiday Food Thread

Tried to find and old thread like this, but couldn't I'm sure one's out there.

Just made my traditional Christmas Morning Popovers. God they're good. If you've only had popovers in a restaurant, they don't compare.
    Last night I made turkey chili, which was excellent, but I make that a lot. It remains consistent.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I haven't had popovers since I was a kid and my mother made them. I've never had them in a restaurant, and didn't know there was anyplace that served them. Someday I'll have to learn to make them.

I made blueberry pancakes for breakfast.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I haven't had popovers since I was a kid and my mother made them. I've never had them in a restaurant, and didn't know there was anyplace that served them. Someday I'll have to learn to make them.

I made blueberry pancakes for breakfast.
    There's a place in NYC called Popover Cafe - it might be a small chain. I went once, but their popovers couldn't compare with mine because by the time you get them they're turning cold. You need to eat them fresh from the oven. I have special popover pans, and they came with a recipe that works great. Very easy though it takes a little longer than you'd expect. My wife sometimes makes Yorkshire Pudding, which tastes almost exactly the same.

Blueberry pancakes sound good! You have to have a good breakfast on Christmas because suddenly around 10am everyone realizes they're starving!

We have popover pans, but the end product was not as satisfying as the ones we had at Jordan Pond House at Arcadia National Park.
    May have to try again ( and again )

We had fresh hot cinnamon rolls early followed a couple of hours later by eggs Benedict and more fresh bundt cake at my sisters house.
    Grilled salmon, roasted potatoes , and steamed broccoli for dinner.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Breakfast - Two hot dogs on buns with cheese and mustard

Lunch - Hospital Christmas meal - Turkey,ham,mashed potatoes,stuffing,string beans,gravy,big brownie,fountain soda, $9.85

Dinner - Chocolate chip cookies,sugar cookies,Lays Stax chips with Heluva Good Dip Bacon Horseradish
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Hope the hospital meals end soon, Ed!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    did a new version of Kake Ava Inferi at my sister's that everybody loved.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

For tonight we have a pretty good amount (it never seems like enough) of American sturgeon caviar, and for tomorrow morning a pound of Zabar's nova. THAT'S what I'm really looking forward to! Got to pick up some bagels and OJ today to go with that. The perfect New Year's Day breakfast...

Wifey's making a duck for dinner tomorrow. Looking forward to that. Mmm, mmm, mmm. I'll pass on the l'orange sauce.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Mmm, I'll stop by for duck!

Seafood salad with calamari ,octopus, scintilla & shrimp tossed with olive oil, garlic, peppers, celery and onion, black pepper & sea salt.

Served room temp over baby greens with generous amount of crushed hot pepper.

Needless to say, my wife is Italian!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Seafood salad with calamari ,octopus, scintilla & shrimp tossed with olive oil, garlic, peppers, celery and onion, black pepper & sea salt.

Served room temp over baby greens with generous amount of crushed hot pepper.

Needless to say, my wife is Italian!
    Sound very good, but what is scintilla?

Doing steaks with obligatory New Year's black eyed peas and collard greens.
    Got my wife a spiralizer attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer and she's been collecting recipes that use it. Coolest part about it is that one of the blades peels, cores and spiral cuts apples, which makes it a lot easier to make apple pie.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sound very good, but what is scintilla?

oops, scungilli (conch)

Happy Independence Day weekend! Independence seems to be a theme right now - nuff said! A nice weekend to celebrate all that is good about America, and there's a lot.

What do you grillers and chillers have on tap? I need some ideas. I'm thinking of pork kabobs.

T-bones steaks on the grill with tabouli salad chez Lopez. I discovered a new brewery in Everett, Mass. last week: Bone-Up. So I'll be downing some of their tasty Honey & Hops with my t-bones.
    Lou

It's fun to revive these threads as you get to revisit holiday repasts of yore.

Since we just moved we were in disarray and it was all we could do to erect a tree and decorate it. So we went the Chinese delivery route for Xmas eve -- the VEGETARIAN version as #1 son has inconveniently gone veg.

For today, I just ran out and picked up bagels, lox, and cream cheese. It's like an extended Christmas here as my company shuts down for this week so we're all on vacation.

Plan to make chili tonight. VEGETARIAN chili!

Roasted a leg of lamb yesterday with rosemary, garlic wine, s & p.
    Simple but delicious. Lots of leftovers for whatever.

The hit of yesterday's meal was wifey's rib roast slathered with horseradish then coated with Italian flavored breadcrumbs. Baked at 350 for 2.5 hours. Oh, man, was that good!
    Lou

Christmas Eve was our usual spread of appetizers and plenty of wine flowing, while we watched the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. Christmas morning was our annual tradition of Baileys coffees and eggs benedict served over fresh carrot muffins - extremely rich and filling, but oh so good. Dinner was Beef Wellington which we actually bought frozen and just popped in the oven with some homemade whipped potatoes, gravy and vegetables. All rather delicious. Not to mention my wife's homemade peanut butter and Toblerone cheesecake. Damn, we tend to overdo it at Christmastime. It's broccoli and water for the month of January!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Baileys and eggs benedict would send me back to bed! lol

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Baileys and eggs benedict would send me back to bed! lol
    Oh believe me, there was an afternoon nap!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Cheese ball

Shrimp cocktail

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Went to my son & daughter-in-law's for holiday brunch with my kids, granddaughters & former spouse.

My biggest holiday food extravaganza is something that JKL will relate to. I shipped myself a package from Katz's Deli in NYC with corned beef, square potato knishes, rye bread, sour pickles & deli mustard, as well as a separate shipment of more potato knishes from Gabila's Bakery in Brooklyn.

Much cheaper as a satisfying nostalgia rush than a plane ticket and NYC hotel.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^^ sounds great! I think it's funny you needed knishes from both places.