Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Food Thread

I got home and made a fryed bologna and Swiss cheese omelette. To die for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^ Jeezuz. That's why I don't eat in restaurants.
    Me, too. I have yet to find a restaurant that knows how to prepare a half-decent, tender cigarette butt.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Bah ha haaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    You got taken - where's the cherry compote!
    I grew up on TV dinners. The green beans were awful but the mash and Salsbury "steak" where good. And there was a little compartment with dessert.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They should outlaw shredded lettuce on sandwiches. Just sayin'. It should be leaf lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They should outlaw shredded lettuce on sandwiches. Just sayin'. It should be leaf lettuce.
    Why? Did you cut yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Why? Did you cut yourself?
    No, I bought a sandwich that had shredded lettuce on it. Shredded lettuce on sandwiches is not good. Well, maybe on some sandwiches it's ok, but say for example, a BLT. Would you want shredded lettuce on a BLT?

I actually preferred shredded lettuce.

Except on a BLT. Then it should be whole leaf. IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

No, I bought a sandwich that had shredded lettuce on it. Shredded lettuce on sandwiches is not good. Well, maybe on some sandwiches it's ok, but say for example, a BLT. Would you want shredded lettuce on a BLT?
    First World problems.

I, too, prefer shredded lettuce.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    First World problems.
    We're mostly white males talking about obscure music on an Internet forum. This place is all about first world problems.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    First World problems.
    Dude, this is the holiday food thread!

I actually was looking for the Foodie thread, but I guess that was in the old PE. I believe there should be such a thread here, but I didn't want to start it, thinking we'd be told it should be taken to FaceBook.

You people who prefer shredded lettuce are sick. Shredded lettuce is watery and tasteless, and doesn't add the texture that leaf lettuce adds. I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We're mostly white males talking about obscure music on an Internet forum. This place is all about first world problems.
    Except the Yes threads. Those are about off-world problems.

One of my favorite sandwiches as a kid was lettuce (not shredded), mayonnaise and mustard.

Hoagies are best with shredded lettuce. And, yes, they are sandwiches, so no debate needed. Regular sandwiches, IMO, are best with leaf, which has more crunch.

I'm not sure how shredding it would make it any more watery or tasteless than whole leaf. It's the same thing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One of my favorite sandwiches as a kid was lettuce (not shredded), mayonnaise and mustard.

Hoagies are best with shredded lettuce. And, yes, they are sandwiches, so no debate needed. Regular sandwiches, IMO, are best with leaf, which has more crunch.

I'm not sure how shredding it would make it any more watery or tasteless than whole leaf. It's the same thing.
    I agree on most hoagies shredded lettuce is good. I think shredding the lettuce releases water, and it can wilt pretty quickly too. Anyway, today I had a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with tomato and mayo, and it had shredded lettuce, which IMO was totally inappropriate.

Mayo makes almost Any sandwich unpalatable. Except for tuna/chicken/crab/shrimp/etc salad and those should have just a little with mustard.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I once survived for a week on nothing but grubs, puddle water and shredded lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Mayo makes almost Any sandwich unpalatable. Except for tuna/chicken/crab/shrimp/etc salad and those should have just a little with mustard.
    How do you feel about Russian dressing on Roast Beef? Or turkey, for that matter?

As much as I love mayo (and Hellman's is the best, IMO), I pretty much eliminated it from my diet. I tend to only use some Italian dressing on my sandwiches now.

How do you feel about Russian dressing on Roast Beef? Or turkey, for that matter?
    I am not a fan of sweet condiments on meat sandwiches. Honey mustard and it's bastard siblings too.
    I see Russian as mayo with ketchup and relish.
    A good chutney I can deal with
    I am more into savory and hot or spicy with the lightest of sweet.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Shredded lettuce is fine provided it is fresh. If the restaurant uses pre-bagged stuff, it tastes gross.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    With shredded lettuce you get shredded cigarette filter.

What? Did we skip Thanksgiving? Let's kick it off for this Christmas (there've been a few potato latkes in-between):

So my wife is doing roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for Christmas dinner. She's pretty good at it. My 19-year-old son was vegetarian for the past year, but recently went off the wagon, and this is his favorite so he requested it. Bring it on! We have a pretty nice rib roast being delivered tomorrow.

She also ordered a pre-made traditional Christmas pudding from England for dessert. God bless us every one!

I have my last remaining fruit cake thawing.
    It's The Holidays!
    -- Aristotle

I have a turkey breast brining, waiting to be smoked tomorrow. I'll also be making moinks (meatballs wrapped in bacon, smoked, and then tossed with BBQ sauce - courtesy of Steve (Pindral Progger) - remember him?). We'll also be having ham, kielbasa and pierogies. Yes, we're Polish.