Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Food Thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Christmas Eve was our usual spread of appetizers and plenty of wine flowing, while we watched the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. Christmas morning was our annual tradition of Baileys coffees and eggs benedict served over fresh carrot muffins - extremely rich and filling, but oh so good. Dinner was Beef Wellington which we actually bought frozen and just popped in the oven with some homemade whipped potatoes, gravy and vegetables. All rather delicious. Not to mention my wife's homemade peanut butter and Toblerone cheesecake. Damn, we tend to overdo it at Christmastime. It's broccoli and water for the month of January!
    I'm with you on all that except for Eggs Benedict on carrot muffins. It sounds wrong, but I'm sure it's right.

My veggie chili last night was made with Quorn crumbles, so it was fungus chili!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm with you on all that except for Eggs Benedict on carrot muffins. It sounds wrong, but I'm sure it's right.
    I get a lot of strange looks when I mention that to people, but it really is spectacular. I look forward to it every year!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Christmas Eve is always ham, potato salad and baked beans. My bil bought the potato salad, but made really good baked beans. And it was a Honey Baked ham, which has this candy like crust on it. I made saw dust pie for dessert.

Christmas was beef tenderloin that was awesome, Harvard beers, stuffed onions with apricot and I made roasted broccoli. Dessert was my sister's chocolate mousse pie.

We also had as snacks Brie with figs, fig cake, Croatian cheese (starts with a D-Dalmantica?) and Wabash Cannonball goat cheese on Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

^^^ That all sounds quite delicious to me, especially the stuffed onions with apricot! Oh, and I'll never complain about brie - figs or otherwise.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^ sounds great! I think it's funny you needed knishes from both places.
    Agree clarification is in order: 2 knishes come with the pkg. deal I bought from Katz's, but I wanted more than 2 since they'll freeze for a year and I could eat them every day. Buying them from the source (Gabila's sells to Katz's anyway) is much cheaper when you're buying 2 dozen.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Chinese place we have been going to is crazy busy so,
    Christmas Eve dinner was at the Korean place next door to it this year.
    Techno Christmas music.
    You have not lived till you heard the bass drop on Ave Maria.

Christmas dinner was Roast Beef, smashed potatoes, steamed broccoli. Bûche de Noël for dessert.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I made soup.

"NO SOUP FOR US!!"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Boneless baked ham from Herb Brittner's Smokehouse and Radiator Repair in Harmony, PA. Yes, you read that correctly. Best smoked meats on Earth and world-famous Jerky, as evidenced by about 60 championship ribbons on the wall in their butcher shop.

On the side, homemade Potatoes au Gratin and steamed veggies dusted with a nice blend of herbs and butter. Christmas cookies and coffee afterwards.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hand-made smoked brisket, cornbread, baked potato, salad +++ cheesecake.

Saltines

Saltines
    Dipped in tap water or dry?

"Luxury."

Broiled steaks, baked tater and some superb rolls.

Then on to a friend's who got a pasts machine and this was his first attempt. A lot of work but it should get better. A little undercooked (I know the word is aldenti or something like that) and it made for some digestive shenanigans later.

New Years will most likely be, ummm, I don't know as I will just be sitting at home.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ That all sounds quite delicious to me, especially the stuffed onions with apricot! Oh, and I'll never complain about brie - figs or otherwise.
    Thanks! My brother in law made the onions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

A couple traditions that i still try to keep:

Porchetta - Every Christmas my mom made one, and we ate from it till after the new year. For those that might not know...rolled up pork belly, specially seasoned, skin left on...roasted to crispy skin perfection and then sliced. Just as good cold as hot, ijn fact many prefer.

Bakala - Spelling may be fucked. lol A stew made from de-salinated salt cod, with tomatos, onions, hot peppers, and optional potatos.

Lasagna - Christmas was the super bowl for my mom, who made the world's best lasagna, bar none. Every Christmas lunch was pure heaven for all of us. She taught me how to make it, but frankly, her's was so good for the amount of time it took....lots of friggin work. Layers and layers of thin home rolled noodle. After years of looking, I found one Italian caterer, who's lasagna is about 80% as good as mom's and to save the work...I'll take it!

Roasted chestnuts - every Christmas season, mom roasted chestnuts in the evenings. Especially good with red wine. mmmmmmm

My grandmother used to make pasta by hand - - - I remember this "old school stainless steel" monstrosity of a machine C-clamped to the table's edge . . . beautiful stuff if made.

Getting ready to fire up the smoker again for some baby back pork ribs & sauerkraut on New Year's Day - classic eastern Euro fare to bring good luck into the New Year !!!

New Year's Day will be boneless beef short ribs dredged in Sweet Baby Ray's.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post

Bakala - Spelling may be fucked. lol
    And the Jew teaches the Italian the proper Italian spelling of baccala!

Merry Christmas, paisan!

We have a pound of nova (smoked salmon) and a few ounces of American caviar laid in from Zabar's.

Have to pick up some champagne and prosecco and bagels today. Not sure what dinner tonight will be. Not feeling too ambitious. Probably just a salad and some pasta.

Any specific beverages for tonight we should know about? We usually get one good bottle of champagne (Veuve Clicquot maybe) then a prosecco or cava or something.

I've been making Old Fashioneds with Woodford Reserve bourbon and hunks of fresh orange. Fantastic, but I need to move to wine, as these pack quite a punch - at least, the way I free pour. Didn't have anything special food-wise tonight, but I probably should have had more of whatever I did eat. Uh oh.

pretzels and beer
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    pretzels and beer
    The Dubya Special

Pastrami, pickles & a knish last night.

Tonight - Take 2

It's the gastrointestinal chaos marathon a/k/a "don't let any of this really expensive NYC deli food spoil".

It's fine. I'm retired and can live on the throne moaning in Hebrew & Yiddish for 2 days.