Thread: Favorite Concert/Music DVDs

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Alamaailman Vasarat
    THAT!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Steve Hackett - Live 78
    Steve Hillage - Live Germany '77
    Steve Hackett - (Bootleg) Live Montreaux '80
    Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes

Great reccomendations here so far. Some that I haven't seen mentioned yet that I continue to come back to again and again:

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live
    Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere
    Snarky Puppy - We Like it Here
    Sting - All This Time and Soul Cages Live

Probably more...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Steve Hackett - Live 78
    Steve Hillage - Live Germany '77
    Is one of these different from the official Live in Bremen release titled Spectral Mornings?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Is one of these different from the official Live in Bremen release titled Spectral Mornings?
    No...Same one

Talking of Steve Hackett, his Once Above A Time is excellent- a great set-list with many of his best solo songs. The band is excellent; I note he's kept basically the same musicians ever since, the bass players change but that's it.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense. That one's iconic and unimpeachable. There are so few that really justify the visual aspect that way.... the only other ones I can think of are Secret World Live (Peter Gabriel) and Minimum-Maximum (Kraftwerk).

Otherwise there are some nice ones, but it's down to how much I love the band & material already.

James - Getting Away With It
    Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
    King Crimson - Eyes Wide Open
    Marillion - Live from Cadogan Hall

Good call on those Jazz Icons earlier in the thread. The Mingus and Monk entries are definitely worthwhile.

The UTOPIA box set has some excellent concert and studio footage!

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Was this really digitally restored with 5.1 sound?? I had never heard about this before. A quick look on Amazon shows only available in region 2 Blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Dammit, how the frell did I forget Hail! Hail! Rock And Roll! ?! I saw that in the movie theater when it first came out. GREAT film. Love the bit where Chuck throws a shit fit about someone messing with his amp settings, and Keith's trying to explain they just want him to sound good in the film, both of them looking they're about to tear each other's heads off. Then there's the bit where they rehearsing, I think Carol, and they keep going over the intro again and again and again, with Chuck starting over right about where the vocal starts each time. Keith telling the story about the time Chuck punched him in the face (apparently, Chuck's the only person besides Mick whose done that and gotten away with it).
    You should see the expanded DVD version. There's some terrific extra stuff on that.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense. That one's iconic and unimpeachable. .
    That is a great, great performance. I can't impeach it but I can certainly knock it for having that stupid "Go Go Club" or whatever that stupid Tina Weymouth thing was smeared like a feces in what was otherwise a flawless set...

Stop Making Sense
    Live At Pompeii
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Colosseum Lives (reunion 94)
    Tull- Isle Of Wight
    Who - Isle of Wight
    Song Remains The Same
    the whole Belgian TV Pop shop series
    Irish Tour
    Weather Report Germany 71
    Solar Music Live @Rockpalast
    Cream Farewell Concert
    Rattle & Hum
    No Quarter - Unleaded

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I have the first Jazz Icons one you mentioned, but didn't know about the Love Supreme one. I have that recording on the two disc "A Love Supreme Deluxe Edition" set, but didn't know there was a DVD of it. Cool!
    didn"t know this myself

This will be ordered ASAP
    Last edited by Trane; 12-22-2015 at 04:10 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What's the great Coltrane DVD that's out? All I've ever seen of Coltrane was a couple VHS releases that came out in the 80's, that played more like documetnaries on Trane, with short clips that appeared to be taken from TV broadcasts (and thus, one imagines, probably even in full length, are probably significantly shorter than what he'd actually do in concert).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The great, great Jazz Icons series has two Coltrane releases. One is a compilation of three European TV appearances in 1960, '61, & '65. The '61 lineup is with Dolphy and the '65 is the classic quartet. If you buy only one, go with this! The other is the legendary '65 Antibes show where the classic quartet gave A Love Supreme its one and only live performance.
    I have the first Jazz Icons one you mentioned, but didn't know about the Love Supreme one. I have that recording on the two disc "A Love Supreme Deluxe Edition" set, but didn't know there was a DVD of it. Cool!

There's a nice Jazz Icons Wes Montgomery DVD, I only wish there was live footage of him with The Wynton Kelly Trio.

I have at least a dozen of ones that have been mentioned; Giant on the Box, Baby Snakes, Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts; 9012 Live, etc.

One I haven't seen mentioned that I love is the Holdsworth/Pasqua Band Live at Yoshi's.
    Last edited by No Pride; 12-21-2015 at 07:39 PM.

I have so many I can't even remember them all, and half I probably have never watched yet. Some I do remember:

Kenso - Nearfest
    Jeff Beck - Ronnie Scott's
    Tetsuo Sakurai - Gentle Hearts tour
    UZEB - World Tour or 90 Tour?
    Prism - One of the couple that I have
    John McLaughlin - Some jazz/fest in Europe pro shot I grabbed off Dime
    Nils Petter Molvaer - One in a cathedral and one outside pro shots off Dime
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Pink Floyd 'Pompeii'
    Jeff Beck 'Live in Tokyo' (from 1999 with Jennifer Batten)
    SBB 'Follow my Dream'
    Gentle Giant 'Box'
    Rolling Stones 'Gimme Shelter'
    Rory Gallagher 'Rockpalast'
    The Who 'Isle of Wight'
    Woodstock
    Monterey
    Focus 'Masters From the Vault'
    Nektar 'Live' (2002)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I have so many I can't even remember them all, and half I probably have never watched yet.
    LOL! I know what you mean. There are so many great ones and not all that much time to watch!

Some that I have watched a lot and still can't get enough of...
    Soft Machine Switzerland '74 & NDR '73. The latter is such perfect picture quality you would almost swear it was Bluray.
    Caravan Live in Nottingham 1990. The original lineup returns + Jimmy Hastings. This has been repackaged a lot. Currently available as "Access all Areas" I believe.
    Gong 2006 Unconvention. This has most of the classic members: Blake, Hillage, Malherbe. They really whip up the energy of the "old days".
    Jack Bruce 50th Birthday. Not every minute of this is great, but still it is almost 4 hours, so a lot is.
    Cream Farewell Concert. Rightly criticized for horrible sound and picture. Who cares...

and a bunch of stuff that has been mentioned alot already (Magma, KC, Yes, etc).

DT- Scenes from New York & Score
    Nightwish- End of an Era
    PT- Arriving Somewhere... & Anesthetize
    Marillion- From Stoke Row to Ipanema & Brave
    Pink Floyd- The Wall (if it counts)
    Queensryche- The Art of Live (Especially their covers with DT of Comfortably Numb and Won't Get Fooled Again.)
    Neal Morse- Testimony Live
    Pallas- This Blinding Darkness (Especially the 2002 version of "The Ripper".)
    Spock's Beard- Don't Try This at Home
    Stream of Passion featuring Ayreon- Live in the Real World
    Transatlantic- Live in America & Live in Europe
    Within Temptation- Black Symphony
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 12-21-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

UK- Reunion
    Jack DeJohnette w Hancock, Holland and Metheny- Mellon Jazz Festival
    Rypdal, Vitous, Gurtu- Live in Stuttgart