Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Gabriel works with new musicians!

Peter Gabriel works with new musicians!

But I'm sure Phil Collins will find a way to ruin it all.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...tars-and-drake
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Give two apes a recording studio and some instruments and they'll still release an album before Peter Gabriel.

I bet they hate Shock the Monkey.

He actually has a German Orchestra of Kammbläsern and Maultrommelspielern now.

Solo will be played by Arschflöte:

Female solos by the Vagina Flute

Picked up my first PG album just the other day, his first one. I'd rather hear what the bonobos can do than the barbershop and "blooz" songs on this album.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Give two apes a recording studio and some instruments and they'll still release an album before Peter Gabriel.
    Done in one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

now if the butt-flutist can do the Firth Of Fifth solo- auto buy for me

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Picked up my first PG album just the other day, his first one. I'd rather hear what the bonobos can do than the barbershop and "blooz" songs on this album.
    Woah, steady on! Those are great songs. 'Waiting For The Big One' (his homage to Randy Newman) is extra special good.

But will it be as good as a Peter Gabriel album?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    But will it be as good as a Peter Gabriel album?
    Probably be better than his last two albums Scratch my Back & New Blood! If they don't represent a burnt out rock star who is void of new interesting music than I don't know what is?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Probably be better than his last two albums Scratch my Back & New Blood! If they don't represent a burnt out rock star who is void of new interesting music than I don't know what is?
    I doubt a troup of monkeys can come up with anything good.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Not,exactly his best as he was still finding his space.

Most recommended?
    Three (With I Don't Remember)
    Security
    So (more radio friendly but still strong)
    Up (his most progressive album since Security, IMO).

I think you'll like those better.

Banned
    Woah, steady on! Those are great songs. 'Waiting For The Big One' (his homage to Randy Newman) is extra special good.
    A great album.

Imo, the best Peter Gabriel's solo album is actually the first one.

Great? The best? Not by any stretch, but I'd say PG1 is interesting and worthwhile in that flawed-gem-in-the rough kind of way.

Peter's always changed the cast and worked with new musicians through his whole career, but this was indeed a step further. I can see how it'd be quite an experience, from the way he and Tony Levin talked about it in the following couple years. (They both got decent songs out of it, if not their most outstanding.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Great? The best? Not by any stretch, but I'd say PG1 is interesting and worthwhile in that flawed-gem-in-the rough kind of way.

Peter's always changed the cast and worked with new musicians through his whole career, but this was indeed a step further. I can see how it'd be quite an experience, from the way he and Tony Levin talked about it in the following couple years. (They both got decent songs out of it, if not their most outstanding.)
    Which of his solo albums (including soundtracks) is the best one in your opinion? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Which of his solo albums (including soundtracks) is the best one in your opinion? Just curious.
    For me it's Passion (with 3, Security and Us very close behind). I do like #1 in its own way, I just think it's got way too many weak spots and duds to be ranked as highly as those others were saying.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    For me it's Passion (with 3, Security and Us very close behind). I do like #1 in its own way, I just think it's got way too many weak spots and duds to be ranked as highly as those others were saying.
    To these ears, "Security" is #2, Passion is my #3 and, therefore, Birdy is #4.

I wonder that you like Us more than Birdy if Passion is your fav by him.

Anyway. Of course all of that is the top on the notch, though as an amazing collection of the songs, the "Wet Car" is, imo, better than everything that he was recorded later.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-21-2015 at 05:36 PM.

A great album.

Imo, the best Peter Gabriel's solo album is actually the first one.
    To these ears, "Security" is #2, Passion is my #3 and, therefore, Birdy is #4.

Anyway. Of course all of that is the top on the notch, though as an amazing collection of the songs, the "Wet Car" is, imo, better than everything that he was recorded later.

My opinion as well. It's very over looked for some reason. One of the things I like most about it is the eclectic nature of it. Such a diverse set of songs that span many different styles. Definitely not Genesis part two(even though there are maybe a few tracks that do echo that sound a bit).

Security would be my number two choice. 3 is great too but for some reason it doesn't wear well with repeated listens or at least not compared to some of the others.

I still have never heard "Passion" for some reason.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-21-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    now if the butt-flutist can do the Firth Of Fifth solo- auto buy for me
    Imo that new PG project with the apes as a "backing band"- if he really going to release that - it will be really great and revolutionary album in any means, or - just mediocre.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    My opinion as well. It's very over looked for some reason. One of the things I like most about it is the eclectic nature of it. Such a diverse set of songs that span many different styles. Definitely not Genesis part two(even though there are maybe a few tracks that do echo that sound a bit).

Security would be my number two choice. 3 is great too but for some reason it doesn't wear well with repeated listens or at least not compared to some of the others.

I still have never heard "Passion" for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    But I'm sure Phil Collins will find a way to ruin it all.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...tars-and-drake
    Life's too short to read this stuff! And you guys are gonna feel bad the day that old Phil kicks the bucket!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Imo that new PG project with the apes as a "backing band"- if he really going to release that - it will be really great and revolutionary album in any means, or - just mediocre.
    They should do Wot Gorilla

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    They should do Wot Gorilla
    I'd like to hear a whale featured a bit of "vocals" on the album... (no, not that supossed PG new album that to be a complete "New Age" stuff, only some sounds here and there, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I doubt a troup of monkeys can come up with anything good.
    I know a bunch of Monkees who came up with a catchy little diddy, Last Train To Clarkesville. Pulled in a few bananas with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I know a bunch of Monkees who came up with a catchy little diddy, Last Train To Clarkesville. Pulled in a few bananas with that one.
    They didn't write it, though.