Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progarchives

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Progarchives

The whores at Progarchives have started blocking people who are using ad blockers. Kiss my *ss, ad mongers! I'll do without you. Who do you think you are, The Washington Post?

Ad-Prog is the hot new subgenre!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The whores at Progarchives have started blocking people who are using ad blockers. Kiss my *ss, ad mongers! I'll do without you. Who do you think you are, The Washington Post?
    Well it's a business for the owner and that's how he's making his money.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well it's a business for the owner and that's how he's making his money.
    Hmm, who is the owner of Progarchives? I never thought of that.

I am using Chrome (Windows 10) and Ad Blocker Plus with no problem.

Hmm, they seem to have fixed it - maybe they were experimenting or something.

Mods - feel free to delete this thread or lock it. I may have been too hasty in my derision.

A guy called MAX who is getting lots of flack from the users for all the CAPTCHA on the forum. It's brutal trying to post over there.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Jon Anderson. He's got the whole wide world in his hands.

Internet ads are a scourge. Ad-blockers are a terrific innovation. Unless it can't be avoided, I won't visit any site that won't allow me to use an ad-blocker.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Try to hang on, Maxime....."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I tried looking up a prog band I hadn't heard of on that site yesterday. I couldn't even scroll down to see if the band had a listing. The ad-blocker warning came up too quickly. I know from experience with other sites, that turning off the ad-blocker won't get them to let you pass, so I just decided Progarchives is no longer a source of information for me. They are blocking out people who legitimately purchase music on CDs, just because we don't care for ads? Fuck 'em.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

A guy called MAX who is getting lots of flack from the users for all the CAPTCHA on the forum. It's brutal trying to post over there.
    Actually, looks like his name is M@x.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    They are blocking out people who legitimately purchase music on CDs, just because we don't care for ads? Fuck 'em.
    Basically.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I rarely vist PA these days and it has been ages ago since I last contributed.

I think the overall popularity of the site is going downhill. Not a good webpage for mobile devices.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    i stopped posting because if you are not in their circle, you do not get your artists considered for addition. They also wait months before letting you know that they did not add it, even if you ask them the status. I can deal with bands I suggest not being added except when it makes no sense as to why they weren't. The last one was Knut Magne Valle, who is in as a member of Arcturus, but they rejected him despite his guest appearances, collaborations, sound engineering or producing credits with other bands.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    i stopped posting because if you are not in their circle, you do not get your artists considered for addition. They also wait months before letting you know that they did not add it, even if you ask them the status. I can deal with bands I suggest not being added except when it makes no sense as to why they weren't. The last one was Knut Magne Valle, who is in as a member of Arcturus, but they rejected him despite his guest appearances, collaborations, sound engineering or producing credits with other bands.
    That first line is nonsense Jen, I'm on the Avant team there and we review all suggestions as long as there is at least one full album to review. Some genres get swamped with suggestions, Metal currently have 25 bands under review, they've reviewed another 37 in the last 2 months. Psych has 23 under review and have reviewed another 34 in the last 2 months. Have a little perspective and consideration please.
    Ian

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    great database, even if the some of the designations are silly. Would be great to tag the albums and not the artist, but it's been made clear that this, for whatever technical reason I won't pretend to understand, is impossible. forum ok, though the technical problems of the site seem to be catching up with it's age.

Just wanted to get this in before this all goes to hell as these things usually do.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

That first line is nonsense Jen, I'm on the Avant team there and we review all suggestions as long as there is at least one full album to review. Some genres get swamped with suggestions, Metal currently have 25 bands under review, they've reviewed another 37 in the last 2 months. Psych has 23 under review and have reviewed another 34 in the last 2 months. Have a little perspective and consideration please.
    that is the impression i was given. The whole place came off as clique-ish.

Some people say the same thing about PE if that's worth anything to you.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    To be honest, I think it's said about any and every internet group of notable size.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well I'm sure it can come off as clique-ish but it doesn't affect the clearance of bands as I showed you above.
    Ian

I often use it, if I want to know more about a band or read reviews of an album I've listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I am aware of it. But you all know me and love me despite my reprehensibleness

I like the site for its bios, discographies, reviews and thoroughness. Some of the subgenre classifications they put bands into are a bit weird sometimes but they're usually pretty on the money. The conversation/BB isn't as good as PE by a longshot. I don't know about clique-ish but definitely less lively than PE. For us, it's been a fan generator like no other internet site as we often ask where people find out about us and more often than not it's PA.

> I may have been too hasty in my derision. <

"Not you, Cisco!" (Kids In The Hall-Brain Candy)

Actually, I commend Jed for the good example he sets for us all in this quote.