Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

  1. #1826
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,573
    Good thing it's not brewed south of the Mason-Dixon line, or it'd be a grits coffee stout.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  2. #1827
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,060
    And pancake batter.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  3. #1828
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apparently its an oatmeal coffee stout so you're both right!
    yes, of course one can blend the different styles of Stout in various ways. I recently picked up a Sweet(milk)/Oatmeal/Coffee Stout and haven't tasted it yet but I imagine the dominant flavor will be coffee

    Sweet Stout is usually made with lactose sugars and so is also called Milk Stout BTW
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  4. #1829
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apparently its an oatmeal coffee stout so you're both right!
    Awesome!

  5. #1830
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yes, of course one can blend the different styles of Stout in various ways. I recently picked up a Sweet(milk)/Oatmeal/Coffee Stout and haven't tasted it yet but I imagine the dominant flavor will be coffee

    Sweet Stout is usually made with lactose sugars and so is also called Milk Stout BTW
    Why in the hell would anyone add milk to beer? I don't even put that cow juice in my coffee. Or on my oatmeal.

  6. #1831
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    1,607
    it is the lactose sugars that are extracted from milk

    from allaboutbeer:
    "Marketing sweet stouts as nutritional was a great way in the late 1800s to garner interest, but lactose did not provide the promised nutritive value. Eventually, this hollow claim fell under scrutiny of British authorities, who mandated in 1946 that milk had to be stricken from the label as misleading. But brewers, ever the cagey, gave their brews names suggesting images of cream, milkmaids and dairies. Brewers outside the English mainland are under no such restrictions today, and lactose-enhanced brews made elsewhere, including America and even some of the British maritime islands, can be called milk stouts. American brewers have been at the forefront of reviving them.

    The original Mackeson’s Milk Stout had a gravity of 1.054, roughly the same as the milk stout that brewers in North America make today. Between the world wars, British beer styles saw a significant drop in alcoholic strength across the board because of taxation and rationing. Mackeson’s dipped to 3.8 percent ABV, as it remains today. Savvy brewers took this opportunity to devise the low-gravity, highly flavorful brews that have helped sustain pub culture in Britain. Milk stouts proved to be a very popular style of beer in the first half of the 20th century and energized a preference for sweeter stouts in England. And while Irish stouts may sell better worldwide, it is the sweeter stouts that are more desired by craft beer lovers today. Of course, lactose is but one strategy that can be employed to craft a beer of sustained sweetness. Crystal malt in generous quantities will give the same effect but has an entirely different flavor. The milky, burnt-sugar flavor unique to milk stout is unmistakable and undeniable."
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 5 Days Ago at 12:45 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  7. #1832
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it is the lactose sugars that are extracted from milk

    from allaboutbeer:
    "Marketing sweet stouts as nutritional was a great way in the late 1800s to garner interest, but lactose did not provide the promised nutritive value. Eventually, this hollow claim fell under scrutiny of British authorities, who mandated in 1946 that milk had to be stricken from the label as misleading. But brewers, ever the cagey, gave their brews names suggesting images of cream, milkmaids and dairies. Brewers outside the English mainland are under no such restrictions today, and lactose-enhanced brews made elsewhere, including America and even some of the British maritime islands, can be called milk stouts. American brewers have been at the forefront of reviving them.

    The original Mackeson’s Milk Stout had a gravity of 1.054, roughly the same as the milk stout that brewers in North America make today. Between the world wars, British beer styles saw a significant drop in alcoholic strength across the board because of taxation and rationing. Mackeson’s dipped to 3.8 percent ABV, as it remains today. Savvy brewers took this opportunity to devise the low-gravity, highly flavorful brews that have helped sustain pub culture in Britain. Milk stouts proved to be a very popular style of beer in the first half of the 20th century and energized a preference for sweeter stouts in England. And while Irish stouts may sell better worldwide, it is the sweeter stouts that are more desired by craft beer lovers today. Of course, lactose is but one strategy that can be employed to craft a beer of sustained sweetness. Crystal malt in generous quantities will give the same effect but has an entirely different flavor. The milky, burnt-sugar flavor unique to milk stout is unmistakable and undeniable."
    Not a huge fan of this style, but Bell's makes a very nice Milk Stout. I don't think they have ever bottled / canned it, but I have had it on tap at the brewery.

  8. #1833
    Oh man, I love a good milk stout.

  9. #1834
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    1,607
    one of the best Sweet(Milk) Stouts we've had is from an American who lives and brews in Japan under the name Hitachino Nest brewery. Their Sweet Stout is fabulous! Also, the original Sweet Stout, Mackeson's is still brewed today and it makes for a nice novelty drink now and then.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  10. #1835
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    4,573
    Milkshake IPAs are popping up on the shelves quite a bit around here. The latest thing?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  11. #1836
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    864
    Milkshake IPAs are popping up on the shelves quite a bit around here. The latest thing?
    Ask Daniel Day Lewis.

    There is a problem when marketing milk stout as another variety of stout. People who are lactose intolerant may fall ill after consuming the lactose. People who are severely allergic to dairy might die. No one really expects any beer to contain a dairy product. One local brewery had an oatmeal stout that they renamed milk stout, probably to avoid this very confusion/potential lawsuit.

  12. #1837
    Drinking a KBS, carry on...

  13. #1838
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Drinking a KBS, carry on...
    An excellent choice, Bob. You just can't go wrong there.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  14. #1839
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    864
    Resilience IPA, brewed by Sierra Nevada to benefit the people who lost everything in the fire at Paradise, California, is now available on tap in my town. A local brewpub promised it on the 10th, and they delivered. I will have one ASAP.

  15. #1840
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    864
    Had me a Resilience IPA from the tap. Fantastic. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company knows its way around an IPA, and this is one of their best. I'd rank this amber brew near their Celebration Ale (winter seasonal IPA). I asked the local brewer about it and was told Sierra Nevada provided the brewing recipe and all the ingredients. I like being able to help out fire victims just by having a beer. As I walked to the pub, the footprints I left were not carbon ones. I'm here to tell you that the beer is good, the price is reasonable ($5/pint, locally, compared with $6 to $7 for their other drafts), and you may be thirsty right about now. Enjoy!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •