Page 76 of 131 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 3258

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm sipping a Trillium Moon Island IPA, very nice.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

An hour north of Bangkok, my local imported some ‘Make America Juicy Again’ IPA by Heretic. Really cuts through the humidity here. Any thoughts on this?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Indian Wells Brown Ale is fantastic.

I was out of town and hit the biggest liquor store I could find - still no Hopslam! But I got a four-pack of Founder's Backwoods Bastard to ease the pain.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here's tonight's goodness, a lovely Wisconsin Belgian Quad:
    IMG_1252.jpg
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Bottling a 5-gallon batch of hefeweizen today. My son, back from overseas, got into wheat beers while on a two-week layover in Germany, and decided to brew some. I got him the ingredients for Christmas. Brewing is easy, bottling is the big pain in the rump. Some day, I'll learning kegging, and instead of filling 48 little bottles, I'll fill just one giant one.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Went back and got the last two bottles of Indian Wells Brown Ale in town. Hope they order more. Meanwhile, we've been enjoying a Winter-themed mixed 12 pack from Sierra Nevada Brewery, featuring 3 bottles each of Coffee Stout, Holiday Haze, Winter Warmer, and Pale Ale. I don't know why they included their flagship beer, SN Pale Ale, but can't complain as it's always good. I would have included Celebration Ale instead, in keeping with the Winter/Holiday theme. The remaining three beers I have not seen in separate 6 packs. I like the Coffee Stout. Having tried several flavored stouts in Dec.-Jan., it's nice to have a breakfast stout that tastes like stout and coffee and nothing sweet. The chocolate coffee bourbon barrel sugar bomb thing started to get old for me. The Winter Warmer is a good dark amber holiday ale. Holiday Haze surprised me by being way better than most of the hazy-style IPAs I have tried. We enjoyed having a winter beer sampler from a great brewery.

A post today on FB by Bell's Brewery -- "Double Two-Hearted is a real thing. And we're gonna bottle it". Sounds interesting.

I had an grapefruit-powered IPA, BrewDog Elvis Juice.

https://www.brewdog.com/item/1176/Br...uice-Cans.html

Deschutes Hop Henge Imperial IPA

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    A post today on FB by Bell's Brewery -- "Double Two-Hearted is a real thing. And we're gonna bottle it". Sounds interesting.
    They have had it on and off on tap at the brewery for a while now. Personally, I think it is a bit too much on the boozy side and did not think it ranked up there with Hopslam or Oracle, but they have never bottled it before that I know of.

I used to buy beer in growlers but have grown tired of drinking beer that goes flat the next day (64 oz is two sessions for me). Anyone got any tips on keeping it fresh?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

not only that, but growlers equal less than one six pack and can cost way more than a six
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I used to buy beer in growlers but have grown tired of drinking beer that goes flat the next day (64 oz is two sessions for me). Anyone got any tips on keeping it fresh?
    I do like to buy howlers on occasion. They are only 32 ounces and easier to consume in one setting.

I was in a beer pub with 60 selections of draft beer. While there, I saw them fill a growler for a customer. They filled an aluminum can that looked like about a quart, then sealed an aluminum lid on the can right there. I haven't tried one of those yet, but I imagine sealing the can shut would make it last several days. That is the only place I have seen do that. In most places, a growler is a glass jug of 64 ounces, that I would guess goes flat if you don't drink it the same day you had it filled. I checked their website and it says nothing about growlers, so I guess it's just something you have to know about. Next time I'm up there I'll bring a growler can home and let you know how it is.

^ It's called a Crowler, and they are widespread and in many tap rooms now. I've bought several, and the beer wasn't as good as right out of the tap. Not sure why. As for Growlers, if unopened, mine are still fine within a 2 week period. If opened, they last 3 days without any noticeable drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It's called a Crowler, and they are widespread and in many tap rooms now. I've bought several, and the beer wasn't as good as right out of the tap. Not sure why. As for Growlers, if unopened, mine are still fine within a 2 week period. If opened, they last 3 days without any noticeable drop off.
    The first time I ever saw a "Crowler" was in Florida. There was a micro-brewery near the beach on Treasure Island. They sold Crowlers instead of growlers so people could take them on the beach (glass was not allowed). I bought one and walked up and down the beach with it which was cool. I am starting to see them crop up here in Michigan, although Growlers / Howlers are much more prevalent.

Bell's has a unique growler and filling system. They have a flip stopper top. When they fill the growler they have a spigot that goes down into the bottom of the growler then it is filled from there. When the stopper top is inserted it creates a seal, so the beer will stay fresh a lot longer. You can also drink some of it and re-seal it and the beer will not loose any carbonation. Bell's only sells a few of their beers in these Growlers, but they almost always have one or two that are not available in bottles or cans.

15490565310048484015400587190169.jpg

Stopped in at Trillium brewery on way to Extreme Beer Festival
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Picked up a growler (32 oz) of Hopslam from my local purveyor this afternoon. And no-one but me to drink it. Oh well!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Picked up a growler (32 oz) of Hopslam from my local purveyor this afternoon. And no-one but me to drink it. Oh well!
    I tried that once.......let's just say the next day was rather difficult. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Bell's has a unique growler and filling system. They have a flip stopper top. When they fill the growler they have a spigot that goes down into the bottom of the growler then it is filled from there. When the stopper top is inserted it creates a seal, so the beer will stay fresh a lot longer. You can also drink some of it and re-seal it and the beer will not loose any carbonation. Bell's only sells a few of their beers in these Growlers, but they almost always have one or two that are not available in bottles or cans.
    I've bought growlers in a couple of breweries that have that system: Wachusett in central Massachusetts and Troeg's in Hershey, PA. The beer does stay fresher longer in them than it does in the regular screw-cap jugs. I think with the growler filled from the bottom, there's less splashing that would release the carbon dioxide from the beer.
    Lou

Here's what I sampled at the Extreme Beer Festival

Beau's Rhinocerosness - Kellerbier 5.2%
    Big Alice Sleep Now In The Fire - Whisky aged Porter 8.0% (my favorite of the festival)
    Cambridge Casual Gods - Wild Ale 6.0%
    Evil Genius Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition - Oud Bruin 9.5%
    Evil Genius Fly Like An Eagle - IPA 6.2%
    Finback BFP1 - Brett 6.9%
    Firestone Mothers Milk - Porter 11.6%
    Foam Peel Session - Peach & Raspberry IPA 11.0%
    Great Notion Blueberry Muffin - Berliner Weisse 5.5%
    Horus Aged Ales Goshawks Grasp - Imperial Stout 13.2%
    Interboro You're All I Need - IPA 8.5%
    Jackie O's Port Barrel Dark Apparition - Imperial Stout 10.0%
    Magnify Up Up & Away - IPA 8.5%
    Magnify Happy Place - IPA 8.0%
    Revolution Barrel Aged Imperial Cherry Eugene - Imperial Porter 13.1%
    Singlecut Prog! - IPA 8.0%
    Slumbrew Saturday Morning - Belgian Tripel 9.2% (worst beer I had)
    Two Roads Absinthe Barrel Aged Igor's Dream - Imperial Stout 12.0%
    Two Roads Table Terroir - Wild Ale 3.7%
    Ian

There is Hopslam in my house! I repeat, there is Hopslam in my house!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There is Hopslam in my house! I repeat, there is Hopslam in my house!
    I got a 6 pack delivered today!
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Here's what I sampled at the Extreme Beer Festival

Beau's Rhinocerosness - Kellerbier 5.2%
    Big Alice Sleep Now In The Fire - Whisky aged Porter 8.0% (my favorite of the festival)
    Cambridge Casual Gods - Wild Ale 6.0%
    Evil Genius Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition - Oud Bruin 9.5%
    Evil Genius Fly Like An Eagle - IPA 6.2%
    Finback BFP1 - Brett 6.9%
    Firestone Mothers Milk - Porter 11.6%
    Foam Peel Session - Peach & Raspberry IPA 11.0%
    Great Notion Blueberry Muffin - Berliner Weisse 5.5%
    Horus Aged Ales Goshawks Grasp - Imperial Stout 13.2%
    Interboro You're All I Need - IPA 8.5%
    Jackie O's Port Barrel Dark Apparition - Imperial Stout 10.0%
    Magnify Up Up & Away - IPA 8.5%
    Magnify Happy Place - IPA 8.0%
    Revolution Barrel Aged Imperial Cherry Eugene - Imperial Porter 13.1%
    Singlecut Prog! - IPA 8.0%
    Slumbrew Saturday Morning - Belgian Tripel 9.2% (worst beer I had)
    Two Roads Absinthe Barrel Aged Igor's Dream - Imperial Stout 12.0%
    Two Roads Table Terroir - Wild Ale 3.7%
    And you got home intact?
    Lou