Page 61 of 131 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Zero Trillium, zero! Seriously?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Re: Cherry Stout. Had to be the 30th. The 30th is sold in 4-pks and the regular is sold only in 6-pks.

Having a friend over for a lamb grill tomorrow, so I bought a 4-pack of Nightshift's Whirlpool and a 6-pack of Narragansett's Fresh Catch. Both are IPAs hopped with Citra. Couldn't wait so I opened a Gansett last night. Oh, baby, so good. narragansett-fresh-catch.jpg

The original Narragansett, from Rhode Island, went out of business in the 80s, but a craft outfit bought the name and recipes and have brought the brand name back. Besides the flagship lager, they do seasonals and commemoratives such as a whole line of H.P. Lovecraft ales a few years ago. Not bad at all.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Zero Trillium, zero! Seriously?
    It's a pretty ridiculous list, imo. One thing to bear in mind: Some of the choicest brews today are being made by small breweries with very small distribution. Most of those will have never been tried by the people who contribute to these lists. Then factor in that the biggest craft brewers have a wide distribution, including into more remote areas where there's little to compare to apart from BudSwill and the like, resulting in very high scores for those large craft offerings. Both of these things heavily skew the results, imo.

These lists are fun to read, but I don't take them seriously, and I don't think anyone should. However, if you ignore the rankings and just make a mental note of names, there are some very good beers to try if you haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    These lists are fun to read, but I don't take them seriously, and I don't think anyone should. However, if you ignore the rankings and just make a mental note of names, there are some very good beers to try if you haven't yet.
    Agree. I think that's the biggest value of the lists..becoming aware of untried beers.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    16th Annual Best Beers in America:

All breweries marked with an asterisk (*) are small and independent craft brewers."

Of the above, I have sampled Sierra Nevada, Russian River, Founders, Deschutes, Ballast Point, Odell, North Coast, Arrogant Bastard (currently in this arrogant bastard's refrigerator), Firestone Walker, Oskar Blues, and Lagunitas.
    6 of the top 10 brewed within 45 minutes of my house. I love where I live!

Regarding the "small" comment. Although Bell's is still independent, they are not really small anymore. Their main brewery facility (which is only a few years old), is a sprawling quarter mile long complex built on the outskirts of Kalamazoo. The old original brewery downtown still makes small batches that are sold on site, but the main brewing facility has become a huge modern operation. Not a macro brewery, but not really a micro anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    6 of the top 10 brewed within 45 minutes of my house. I love where I live!
    Then you should be drinking CBS or KBS every day!!!!
    Last edited by philsunset; 06-23-2018 at 01:33 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu
    That is how I use such lists. I know where to go to try the beers I haven't tried yet. If not, I will hunt them down.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    Regarding the "small" comment. Although Bell's is still independent, they are not really small anymore. Their main brewery facility (which is only a few years old), is a sprawling quarter mile long complex built on the outskirts of Kalamazoo. The old original brewery downtown still makes small batches that are sold on site, but the main brewing facility has become a huge modern operation. Not a macro brewery, but not really a micro anymore either.
    That is why I left the comment on brewery size within the quotation marks; the article's designation, not mine. I can't go anywhere without seeing Sierra Nevada brews, so they certainly don't seem like a small craft brewery where I live. There are some incredible small breweries around here that didn't make the list (Great Basin Brewing, Virginia City Brewery and Taphouse, Mammoth Brewing Co, Lassen Ale Works); perhaps they had a minimum size to be considered a "small" brewery. And many people complain that their favorite brew didn't make the top 50, wheras one they don't care for, did make the list. Such a list is only useful if it gets you to get out and try a beer you haven't tried yet. Anyone can stay home and whine and post complaints. Which seems to be the primary use of the internet these days. But of course not the people in this thread, good beer lovers one and all.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Fun list although there are more local one-offs that are missed. The strongest I have at home is New Holland Rum Barrel Aged 20th Anniversary Ale, which of course is 20% abv. I had a bottle recently and it made a great sipper. I'm saving a few bottles. I think it will be spectacular in a few years.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Holy crap - what can we do to help?

Beer is being rationed in the United Kingdom because of a shortage of carbon dioxide.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/27/news...eer/index.html

Ian, are your friends and family over there ok?

Stick to craft ale, needs no CO2
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Great taste beats carbonation every time.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

ok... just returned from out June voyage... Tucson to Maine, across Canada to Wisconsin and back... got a TON of local brews... will post pix later
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

So far tonight:

Fat Heads Head Hunter
    Fat Heads Hop Marauder
    Working on a Founders KBS now.

Not sure which non-generic music or TV I'm going to go with yet.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000
    Beer is being rationed in the United Kingdom because of a shortage of carbon dioxide.
    I always thought the United Kingdom was the originator of the nitrogen tap. Who needs CO2?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

What a long and crazed work week it's been. Enjoying the dusk with an Avery Tweak.

Had an Upper Pass "Cloud Drop" from Tunbridge, VT yesterday. I'd heard about it for about a year, but never happened to find any. Very nice.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46275/270237/
    <sig out of order>

In Massachusetts and having a Lawson's Sip of Sunshine IPA. Very good! Tree House is about 3 miles east of the family home out here. I will be going there a few times this week. It could be much worse. .

Nice! Am I ok to ship you some beer to take to ProgDay again?
    Ian

Any plans for Fourth of July beverage selections? I've got several options but no clear leaders because I have a headache and I can't think that far ahead.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

N.D.: Maine Brewing Another One. - Juicy New England IPA goodness.

N.D.: Maine Brewing Another One. - Juicy New England IPA goodness.
    I've been to the brewery. It's outside of Freeport, home of L.L. Bean. Nice tasting room. On the front lawn of the place is a huge solar panel array that slowly moves to follow the sun. Pretty cool.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.