Page 60 of 131 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

As my Michigan Brewer's Guild Enthusiast Membership expires tomorrow, I just renewed. This is a great organization for the Beer Snob. The membership includes a T-shirt, a quarterly magazine about the Michigan brewing scene, and mostly importantly, early admittance to 4 of the biggest brewfests in MI. This is key. One gets to try the most in demand stuff (maybe multiple times) before it runs out. I suggest fellow Beer Snobs look in their local area or state for a similar organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Reading over these lists of 101 "best beers" and such, and having heard of only maybe 2% of these breweries calls to mind a conversation I had with someone a few years back. He asked if I ever tried making my own beer. I said I had no interest. He replied that it's easy. I countered with, with ALL these beers to choose from, why would I bother making my own? It is even easier to simply buy the offerings of those more skilled than I. There is simply SO MUCH incredible beer out there, this is the Platinum Age of Beer.
    I have a buddy who has been making wine for years and is really good at it. He tried to make beer a few times and it was never even close to the quality of what you can buy around here. I have never had any interest in getting into brewing myself for the same reason you state. I live beer Nirvana in Southwest Michigan. There is so many great breweries (wineries too) of every style imaginable I have no desire to do the work it would take to brew my own that would probably not be nearly the quality of what is available here. Basically........I'm too lazy.....

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    As my Michigan Brewer's Guild Enthusiast Membership expires tomorrow, I just renewed. This is a great organization for the Beer Snob. The membership includes a T-shirt, a quarterly magazine about the Michigan brewing scene, and mostly importantly, early admittance to 4 of the biggest brewfests in MI. This is key. One gets to try the most in demand stuff (maybe multiple times) before it runs out. I suggest fellow Beer Snobs look in their local area or state for a similar organization.
    I have thought about joining, although most of the event that they sponsor on not on my side of the state for some reason. What to they charge for membership?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The only time I brewed beer was when I was a broke student and the only criteria I needed was "is it drinkable?" Cos man it was cheap to make. (the answer was usually barely)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have thought about joining, although most of the event that they sponsor on not on my side of the state for some reason. What to they charge for membership?
    Steve, membership is $55 a year. Also, a number of brewpubs offer discounts to members.

I'm a member of S.N.O.B.s, the Society of Northern Ohio Brewers, which is a home brewing club. I'm not a home brewer, though. Maybe after I retire. Their events are a lot of fun to attend, which makes it worthwhile at this time.

I've been a home brewer for about 25 years. I had some really good batches and some not so good. I tried a sour once; it tasted like Budweiser gone bad. Found out later that's how it was supposed to taste. Won't be doing sours any more. I used to grow my own hops and had great luck with that, but they required a lot of care, so I gave the canes away. With the ingredients I use I don't save any money brewing my own, but there's the satisfaction of doing it myself and not sharing any of the final cost with the state department of revenue.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm gonna need a whole lot more time in my schedule if I want to add brewing beer to my list of extracurricular activities. Maybe someday when I retire...
    <sig out of order>

Steve, membership is $55 a year. Also, a number of brewpubs offer discounts to members.
    Cool, I will have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm a member of S.N.O.B.s, the Society of Northern Ohio Brewers, which is a home brewing club. I'm not a home brewer, though. Maybe after I retire. Their events are a lot of fun to attend, which makes it worthwhile at this time.
    We have an organization here in Kalamazoo called The Kalamazoo Libation Society which sounds similar. Most of the members are home brewers, but you don't have to be to become a member. My friend who makes the wine is a member, and they have some cool events. I have thought about joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I've been a home brewer for about 25 years. I had some really good batches and some not so good. I tried a sour once; it tasted like Budweiser gone bad. Found out later that's how it was supposed to taste. Won't be doing sours any more. I used to grow my own hops and had great luck with that, but they required a lot of care, so I gave the canes away. With the ingredients I use I don't save any money brewing my own, but there's the satisfaction of doing it myself and not sharing any of the final cost with the state department of revenue.
    I have a friend of mine who used to work for the same company I did, who started home brewing and was really good at it. He used to bring me in samples of his beer and they were actually quite good. He eventually got hooked up with some people who were looking to open a brewpub here in town. He quit his job with my company and these people sent him to a brewers school in Chicago and he became the brew pub's first brewmeister. He eventually had a falling out with them and left. He worked for a spice company here in town for a while and saved up enough money to open his own brewery. Gonzo's Big Dog Brewing has been open for several years now and appears to very successful. His tap room / restaurant is always packed and he has distribution in stores and bars throughout the state. Here is a link to his website if interested in his story: http://gonzosbiggdoggbrewing.com/the-biggdogg-story/

I had this nice dark lager today made by Brocklebank Craft Brewing which is pretty small and local to me. A nice change from my usual IPAs.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/38743/259155/
    <sig out of order>

Happy Fathers Day to all the Snobs..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Happy Fathers Day to all the Snobs..!!!
    Right on! The beer diet today consisted of (even though it's been hot as hell) a '16 BBA Dark Horse Plead the 5th, a DFH Olde School, and sitting here in the dusk with the fireflies sipping a KBS.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Had some Barrel House Z Bamboozle IPA, Trillium Free Rise Saison & a Trillium DIPA Vicinity.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I haven't had a brew in a couple days but I mowed the lawn this morning and it was a real bitch. So tonight I'll pour one of Summit's Dakota Soul (Czech pils with North Dakota barley) and then a Two-Hearted after that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Drinking a Kuhnhenn Solstice Stout. In 2011, Kuhnhenn took two of their aged beers, Solar Eclipse (a 18% ABV Russian Imperial Stout) and 4D (a 13.5 ABV Old Ale), blended them and then aged that further in bourbon barrels for 3 years. This was released in 2014 at their Summer Solstice party in bottles and one keg. I sat at the bar and drank it on tap. It's still the best beer I've ever had. The keg was empty in 35 minutes. Bought a bunch of bottles and I have one every year, on the Solstice. 4 years later and still tremendous.

^ We've intended to make a trip to Kuhnhenn as well as a Meadery (Dragon Mead?) in the Detroit area, but haven't got around to it, due to time constraints as much as anything. Might have to make it a priority.

^^^^ For meaderies in the Detroit area, Scramms and B. Nektar are the best and they are close to each other.

^ We get B. Nektar regularly down here. They are indeed very good.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Was in Total Wine today picking up some brew..Saw a 4 pack of Bells Cherry Reserve Stout for $ 22.99 !!! I definitely bought it a few years ago in a 6 pack, was a lot less expensive..Why the spike ? Cherries at a premium ?
    Walked away with 2018 Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (tasty, now drinking), Highland Brewing Hawaiian Lounge Juice, and for my sons birthday tomorrow, I picked him up a 4 pack of Evil Twin Nasty Trunks ...go figure, he likes sours ! (he will be 22)

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Was in Total Wine today picking up some brew..Saw a 4 pack of Bells Cherry Reserve Stout for $ 22.99 !!! I definitely bought it a few years ago in a 6 pack, was a lot less expensive..Why the spike ? Cherries at a premium ?
    Walked away with 2018 Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (tasty, now drinking), Highland Brewing Hawaiian Lounge Juice, and for my sons birthday tomorrow, I picked him up a 4 pack of Evil Twin Nasty Trunks ...go figure, he likes sours ! (he will be 22)
    Does it happen to be the 30th Anniversary Cherry Reserve Stout? That one was a special batch, and had a higher price around here.

^^^^ For meaderies in the Detroit area, Scramms and B. Nektar are the best and they are close to each other.
    The best meads I've had are made by Crafted Artisan Meadery in Mogadore, Ohio. However, rumor has it they are moving their operation to Asheville, NC.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    16th Annual Best Beers in America:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...rs-in-america/

"1. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale*
    2. Russian River Pliny the Elder*
    3. The Alchemist Heady Topper*
    4. Bell’s Hopslam*
    T5. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale*
    T5. Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)
    T5. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
    8. Three Floyds Zombie Dust*
    9. Founders Breakfast Stout
    T10. WeldWerks Juicy Bits*
    T10. Founders All Day IPA
    T12. Cigar City Jai Alai IPA*
    T12. Tree House Julius*
    T12 Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA*
    15. Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale*
    16. The Alchemist Focal Banger*
    17. Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue*
    T18. Lawson’s Finest Liquids Sip of Sunshine*
    T18. Sierra Nevada Celebration*
    T18. Russian River Blind Pig I.P.A.*
    21. Melvin 2×4 DIPA*
    22. Deschutes Black Butte Porter*
    T23. Surly Todd The Axe Man*
    T23. Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
    T25. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
    T25. Odell IPA*
    T27. Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro*
    T27. Old Nation M-43 N.E. IPA*
    29. North Coast Old Rasputin*
    T30. Russian River Pliny the Younger*
    T30. Surly Furious*
    T30. New Holland Dragon’s Milk*
    33. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA*
    T34. Arrogant Bastard Ale*
    T34. Ommegang Three Philosophers*
    T36. Firestone Walker Parabola*
    T36. Allagash White*
    T36. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA*
    T36. Fat Head’s Hop JuJu Imperial IPA*
    T36. Prairie Artisan Ales Bomb!*
    T43. Summit Extra Pale Ale*
    T43. Founders Dirty Bastard
    T43. Bell’s Oberon Ale*
    T43. Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale*
    T43. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter*
    T43. Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
    T49. Odd13 Codename: Superfan*
    T49. Tree House Green*
    T49. Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing IPA*
    T49. Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin
    T49. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA*
    T49. Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA*
    T49. New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red*
    T49. Odell Rupture*
    T49. Creature Comforts Tropicália*
    T49. Orval

All breweries marked with an asterisk (*) are small and independent craft brewers."

Of the above, I have sampled Sierra Nevada, Russian River, Founders, Deschutes, Ballast Point, Odell, North Coast, Arrogant Bastard (currently in this arrogant bastard's refrigerator), Firestone Walker, Oskar Blues, and Lagunitas.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Does it happen to be the 30th Anniversary Cherry Reserve Stout? That one was a special batch, and had a higher price around here.
    Yes , I believe it was..