Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Washing all that down with some Founder's Dirty Bastard...
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Great stuff!
    I know you like it! It was good - I had too much of the stuff. Calorie wise, not alcohol. They're a pretty solid brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I got a gift box of three 750s from Boulevard Brewing. I usually consider them a pretty mediocre brew but last night I opened the Imperial Stout. Sweet mercy that was a great beer. Apparently the fussbudgets at Beer Advocate agree.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/45541/
    They always get into the argument: What *is* beer?

Banned
    Down in Florida and had a Hi 5 IPA from Terrapin (GA). Very fresh hop taste, balanced and not too bitter[emoji39]

Suppin' this Sunday morning on a Odd Side Hipster Brunch Stout. A stout with a mix of coffee, maple and bacon flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Suppin' this Sunday morning on a Odd Side Hipster Brunch Stout. A stout with a mix of coffee, maple and bacon flavors.
    The Project Pam I had from Founder's was brewed in Maple casks, and that gave it a nice bit of maple syrup taste. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I got a gift box of three 750s from Boulevard Brewing. I usually consider them a pretty mediocre brew but last night I opened the Imperial Stout. Sweet mercy that was a great beer. Apparently the fussbudgets at Beer Advocate agree.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/45541/
    I think the Bourbon Barrel Quad is pretty solid too.

The Project Pam I had from Founder's was brewed in Maple casks, and that gave it a nice bit of maple syrup taste. Nice!
    One of the few founders I have not tried yet. I need to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One of the few founders I have not tried yet. I need to look for it.
    I actually didn't love it, but it was ok. Any idea why it's called Project Pam?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

One of these was under the .
    I'm afraid to drink it, because then it will be gone!

There is a story behind it that they posted on Facebook when it came out, but I don't remember any details.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

One of these was under the .
    I'm afraid to drink it, because then it will be gone!
    My local pub has this permanently on tap. Nice, if a bit sweet for my taste. Typical Belgian style. Cool bottle though - I've never seen the bottle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My local pub has this permanently on tap. Nice, if a bit sweet for my taste. Typical Belgian style. Cool bottle though - I've never seen the bottle.
    My guess is you have the regular Gulden Draak on tap. The pic Dave posted is for a version of GD aged in whiskey barrels, substantially rarer than the typical offering.

“Project PAM refers to the code name we used in the cellar.” explains the head of the brewery’s barrel-aging program, Jason Heystek. “As with a lot of our barrel-aged beers, each one gets a code name to keep things fun and maintain some mystery. With Project PAM, the maple-bourbon barrels provide sweetness to keep the hop bitterness in check, but also impart the flavor complexity of an oak bourbon barrel.”
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned
    Went to the Twisted Trunk Brewery in PGA Blvd. The IPGA was very good.

...but the Leroy Brown was bad, bad....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Banned
    A growler filling machine:

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Tried this one last night, very nice Red Imperial IPA from Clown Shoes

beer.jpg
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    A growler filling machine:
    Nice. I wish my local brewpubs had this. I've given up on growlers because the damn beer is always flat. They fill it straight from the tap.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've never felt the need to own a growler of anything. It's just not how beer is supposed to be packaged, imo.... I'm of the opinion that nothing beats the 473ml can. It holds just enough to pour the perfect pint.

I've got some growlers that I fill occasionally when I'm on vacation and there's a local craft brewer in the area. Since I'm on vacation it's easy to finish. But if I fill one at home I usually get halfway through it and it goes flat in the fridge. And ... it is definitely more expensive to buy a growler than a bottled version.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Wifey and I strolled over to the local beer shop last night after dinner at the pub (so perhaps we more properly "ambled" . . . ), and since it's like 70 here in Charlotte, I sampled the lemon gose on tap (which I swear was from a NY brewer but now I can't find the name, so perhaps I'd already had a pint too many by that point?) and picked up a bottle Wicked Weed's Tropicmost Passionfruit Gose. Seems appropriate given the weather.

If for any reason any of you do find yourself in Asheville, NC (a great mountain town to visit), do yourself a favor and stop by the Wicked Weed Brewery. They consistently produce the best sours and goses I've had. I also grabbed a bottle of their foeder-aged sour red ale fermented with cherries. Doesn't that sound delicious?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

While Asheville sounds lovely and so does this brewery, sours and goses are 2 types I just can't get into. They seem to be on an upward trend here in Québec of late so I've sampled enough to know that I just don't like them. Whisky barrelled aged beers ,on the other hand, are a trend I can seriously indulge in.

Wicked Weed is a cool bar with plenty of other good beers to try. Well worth the visit if you are in the area.

I usually pass up barrel aged beers. I think (and I might be wrong here so feel free to correct me) but the aging process usually creates a stronger ABV which, for my pallet, usually means too sweet.

I think what helped turn me around to sours was Duchesse de Bourgogne. It's a Flanders red sour and certainly doesn't have the sour bite other beers in this style have.

And, yes, Wicked Weed does produce many fine non-sour beers. They've recently started bottling 12-oz bottles and selling them in four packs, so maybe they're looking to amp up distribution.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Heading here for lunch today ... http://www.azwbeer.com/

Toss up to try either:

> The Big Gye Rye 8.6% - Rye makes up a portion of this IPA's grain bill, blending earthy malt tones with Nelson Sauvin dry hops.

-or-

> Peanut Brittle Ale 6.4% - Holiday ale based on an old family peanut brittle recipe. Floor malted Maris Otter lends rich bready flavors along with peanuts and local lactose sugar (Arizona Dairymen). ALLERGY WARNING: CONTAINS REAL PEANUTS
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-