Page 21 of 131 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This place has hop vines growing all over theses trellises out front.
    I grow my own. I have several Cascade canes in the garden on the side of the house. Harvested about a bushel full yesterday. Should be good for the last 5 minutes of the boil in my next batch. I dry hop with store-bought hops pellets.

13% at 8:45 in the morning, Bob? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! Breakfast of champions!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Had a great Deschutes IPA at the Red House in Kent WA (near Seattle). This place has hop vines growing all over theses trellises out front. Menu was awesome, Seafood Gumbo, Portuguese seafood stew and King Salmon.

Kent's not too far. We're going to check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founders has apparently made it to California, folks. I bought a four back of Breakfast Stout at BevMo this weekend. A damn fine brew, for sure.

Still haven't seen Bells around here, though I've had Oberon at a family reunion years back, when my cuz brought some.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Sitting on the deck and having a Dark Horse Plead the 5th. Was happy to turn a couple of Wisconsinites (Mike and Vicki) on to this at ProgDay. It's become a tradition for us to have an Imperial Stout during the performance of the first band on Sunday. Prog Church Stout.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Kent's not too far. We're going to check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry this is Renton and I'm back for the Seafood Gumbo[emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I grow my own. I have several Cascade canes in the garden on the side of the house. Harvested about a bushel full yesterday. Should be good for the last 5 minutes of the boil in my next batch. I dry hop with store-bought hops pellets.

13% at 8:45 in the morning, Bob? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! Breakfast of champions!
    Starts the day nicely!
    Last edited by philsunset; 09-12-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Founders has apparently made it to California, folks. I bought a four back of Breakfast Stout at BevMo this weekend. A damn fine brew, for sure.

Still haven't seen Bells around here, though I've had Oberon at a family reunion years back, when my cuz brought some.
    Founders began distribution throughout the state of California last year. The last I knew Bell’s was only distributed in parts of Southern California and not yet in the whole state.

I kept looking for the Founders, but when I found it, they had hidden it on a side shelf.
    LOL.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

A beautiful Sunday afternoon here in Michigan. Have a rack of babybacks smoking low and slow on the grill and sipping a Dark Horse Plead the 5th. It's a good afternoon!

--a little off topic...but you might find it funny...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...revolt/2294340

...beer pranksters at work !

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    --a little off topic...but you might find it funny...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...revolt/2294340

...beer pranksters at work !
    Aside from pranksters, World of Beer pubs are awesome. I stumbled on to my first one in a great way. I was in Hilton Head and we decided to drive to Savannah and take the Trolley Tour. Got there early and got off Stop 1 about 9:45 and not many stores were open. We walked into a store front with hundreds of Tap Handles in the windows, not knowing it was WOB. After a few minutes, a local walked up and we started talking beer. After 5 minutes the guy says, I'm the manager and we are not open yet, but come on in for some samples. He locked the door behind us and started pouring samples from the 60 some taps of awesome beer. After i5-20 samples I said I really liked the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale and could I have another sample. Sure, he says while pouring both my wife and I a full pint. After we downed that, now it's about 10:15 in the morning, we were felling good. As we prepared to get on our way, the guy asks if we like Ciders. Of course we said, so he starts pouring 7 or 8 Cider samples for us. Now we were really ready to leave, and because Savannah has an open container law, he poured us each a pint of Cider to walk out with along with calling a Beer Distributor on the other side of town to reserve a case of the Kentucky Ale to pick up.

There are none close to me but there is one in Jersey about an hour away.
    Hyfi
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Systen - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS 400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergystic Reserch
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Secondary - Oppo 93 > Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos+> Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs & Zip Cord

HopCity - Polly Want A Pilsner

Heard good things, but it's nothing particularly impressive. Incredibly pale... Not bad though!

polly.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned

Stone - Xocoveza (bottled on 09/20/16). Having my first bottle of this. Despite the high ratings on BA (96 and the brothers rating of 100), I find it kind of meh. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Stone - Xocoveza (bottled on 09/20/16). Having my first bottle of this. Despite the high ratings on BA (96 and the brothers rating of 100), I find it kind of meh. YMMV.
    I tried one of these when it came out last year and kind of had the same reaction. It was good, but it did not blow me away as I expected it to.

Banned

Tonight's selection and I chose a paddle of 4 5 oz servings of Clown Shoes Space Cake and Witbier, Star Hill Last Leaf Maple, and Terrapin Luau. $8 for 20 oz of beer.

How was the Luau?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    How was the Luau?
    Quite good, but I like the tropical citrus hops flavor.

Clown Shoes Space Cake was good "Mosaic" hops based IPA. Their Wit was good for that style, not too much Corriander. The warm Firkin of Star Hill's Last Leaf Maple was tasty, perhaps a little sweet for some tastes, but herbal woody taste of Virginia Maple was nice.

On the way home today I found some Dogfish Head 120 Minute on the shelves. Opinions vary a lot on this brew. For me, it changed my perception of what beer can be. I really enjoy a bottle every couple of months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    On the way home today I found some Dogfish Head 120 Minute on the shelves. Opinions vary a lot on this brew. For me, it changed my perception of what beer can be. I really enjoy a bottle every couple of months or so.
    I like it, although I wouldn’t choose it over some of the better Michigan double IPA’s like Oracle, Hopslam, Double Trouble, Double Crooked Tree, etc….

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I like it, although I wouldn’t choose it over some of the better Michigan double IPA’s like Oracle, Hopslam, Double Trouble, Double Crooked Tree, etc….
    For daily consumption I agree with you. Oracle or Double Crooked Tree are the best. But once in a while or special occasions it's 120. We're talking 18% here.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    120 is too hoppy for me, I much prefer the 90
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    too hoppy
    Not in my vocabulary.

Seriously though, I think 120 is so well crafted that, while being very hoppy, it still works better than most attempts at an extreme IPA. Comparing it to a typical DIPA isn't suitable, in my book, as this beer pushes the envelope more than most of those efforts.

I think all craft beer fans should try letting one age for about a year or so. I've found extraordinary notes of oak within the slightly muted hop profile at that stage.