Page 16 of 131 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    A beer I've really been enjoying lately is Founders Sumatra Mountain. The coffee flavor is excellent.
    Had that for the first time at the America On Tap Beer Festival here in Kalamazoo today. I am not a huge coffee fan, so it was a bit too coffee flavored for me, but it is very good for it's style.

Banned

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Saw a tropical version of Flying Dog's Raging Bitch, called Tropical Bitch.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Happy Memorial Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-29-2016 at 06:45 PM.

My after dinner beer tonight is a Bell's Black Note. It's a real treat. And Happy Holiday to you fellow Prog Beer Snobs.

My after dinner beer tonight is a Bell's Black Note. It's a real treat. And Happy Holiday to you fellow Prog Beer Snobs.
    Holy shit, where did you find Black Note? They have not released any in quite a while. I had some at a beer dinner Bell's hosted a year or so ago, and have not seen in bottles in about 2 years. Truly a nectar of the gods.

I picked up a 6 of Hopsoulution IPA today. I've never had it before, but it's Bell's, so I'm expecting it to be excellent.

Also picked up Rhinegeist Truth IPA, which is becoming one of my regulars, and Dayton Beer Co Oregon Alley IPA, which I've not had yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I picked up a 6 of Hopsoulution IPA today. I've never had it before, but it's Bell's, so I'm expecting it to be excellent.

Also picked up Rhinegeist Truth IPA, which is becoming one of my regulars, and Dayton Beer Co Oregon Alley IPA, which I've not had yet.
    Hopsoulution is a double IPA that Bell's has had on tap off and on at the brewery here in Kalamazoo for several years, but they have never bottled it before. It is a good solid double IPA, but not on the same level as Hopslam or The Oracle (also from Bell's) IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Holy shit, where did you find Black Note? They have not released any in quite a while. I had some at a beer dinner Bell's hosted a year or so ago, and have not seen in bottles in about 2 years. Truly a nectar of the gods.
    I bought just over a case of Black Note when it was last released in 2014. I have one every so often, holidays, etc.

^ I wasn't familiar with it, so I went to RateBeer and searched for a description. They claim it is a "retired" beer, so you may not see it again.

and Dayton Beer Co Oregon Alley IPA, which I've not had yet.
    Had one last night. It's 8.0 and 99 IBU, so I was hopeful, expecting good things. However, this is a malty IPA, sorta like Cellar Rats, and I can't recommend it. Musty and dense, not really hop forward, I won't be purchasing it again.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Last nights beers were :-

Mystic De Varenne wild ale 6.5%
    mystic1.jpg
    Mystic Saison 7.5% fermented in Sauvignon Blanc barrels
    mystic2.jpg
    Trillium Heavy Mettle Double IPA 9.3 %
    trillium.jpg

Very good night, all really nice, toss up between the Saison & DIPA as the best of the evening
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^^ I'd like to try some beers from Trillium, Jack's Abby and Tree House. Have read only good things about them.

^^^ I'd like to try some beers from Trillium, Jack's Abby and Tree House. Have read only good things about them.
    Maybe if you're a good boy this year, Santa will bring you some to ProgDay.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^^^ Lopez = my best friend haha. And I can bring some beer goodness from Michigan.

I bought just over a case of Black Note when it was last released in 2014. I have one every so often, holidays, etc.
    Cool, I was only able to get my hands on 4 of them during that release and they are long gone.

^ I wasn't familiar with it, so I went to RateBeer and searched for a description. They claim it is a "retired" beer, so you may not see it again.
    It is not really retired, but is a beer that Bell's only does every couple of years. Not sure why since it is so highly rated and popular, but there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when they decided to make a batch.

Anybody tasted Peak Organic King Crimson ?

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13884/55115/

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very good night, all really nice, toss up between the Saison & DIPA as the best of the evening
    I love a good Saison. Was first introduced to it at the Biermarkt on the Esplanade in Toronto some years ago.

Anyone had the Rogue Yellow Snow IPA? Delightful brew.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned

Down here in the coast of North Carolina, I see a pretty good selection of Founders, which bodes well for visitors to Total Wine at Progday. I picked these beers up today, most being Founders which I haven't seen in MD. I can't wait to try Re-Dank-ulous, Red IPA:

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Down here in the coast of North Carolina, I see a pretty good selection of Founders, which bodes well for visitors to Total Wine at Progday. I picked these beers up today, most being Founders which I haven't seen in MD. I can't wait to try Re-Dank-ulous, Red IPA:

I have not tried the Re-Dankulous yet as it is a new release that just came out. Mosaic Promise is solid. They first brewed it for the Artprize festival in Grand Rapids (a huge month long arts festival) a few years ago and it went over so well that they have now added it to their regular summer brew selection now. I think some of the other IPA's they make are a bit better, but Mosaic is a good one too. Founders Pale is always a good choice. It is a little hoppier than the average Pale Ale which personally I like. I am not that big a fan of Devil Dancer, but some people love it. I think it is around 11% alcohol, so it will kick your ass. Really, you can't go wrong with anything made from Founders.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The podcast Benjamin Walker's Theory of Everything has done a two-part series on craft brewing, entitled "Sudculture." I found it worth the time.

https://toe.prx.org/2016/06/sudculture-part-i-of-ii/

https://toe.prx.org/2016/06/sudculture-part-ii-of-ii/

For me, there are a few craft breweries active in my county now. I bought a stainless steel growler flask, and decided that one of my summer projects will be to check their taprooms. Last Tuesday I went to the Discretion Brewing taproom and picked up a Belgian style Hibiscus Wit. Tasty, when it gets closer to room temperature, the hibiscus gets a little more prominent, but just undergirds the whole experience.

Around Memorial Day I had tried a couple bottles of their Lavender IPA. I should have bought more, because it is gone. I have found precious few IPAs I actually enjoy, but somehow the astringency of the lavender worked well with the hops.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Banned
    I have not tried the Re-Dankulous yet as it is a new release that just came out. Mosaic Promise is solid. They first brewed it for the Artprize festival in Grand Rapids (a huge month long arts festival) a few years ago and it went over so well that they have now added it to their regular summer brew selection now. I think some of the other IPA's they make are a bit better, but Mosaic is a good one too. Founders Pale is always a good choice. It is a little hoppier than the average Pale Ale which personally I like. I am not that big a fan of Devil Dancer, but some people love it. I think it is around 11% alcohol, so it will kick your ass. Really, you can't go wrong with anything made from Founders.
    Re-Dankulous is awesome. Pours with a creamy head[emoji106]

Re-Dankulous is awesome. Pours with a creamy head[emoji106]
    I will have to check it out for sure.

...Founders...
    I haven't had anything yet by Founders that I didn't think was wonderful. Looking forward to trying these. We, in Boston, only get a few of what they offer. A Total Wine opened up in the next town over from me a couple weeks ago. I'll have to mosy over there and see what they have by Founders.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    I will have to check it out for sure.
    Get ready for a mouthful of hops, malt and a bit more alcohol since it is an Imperial Red Ale. But not sweet, like some can be.