Thread: Prog article in mainstream music magazine circa 1991

Prog article in mainstream music magazine circa 1991

For some reason I was just thinking about this.

I remember back around 1991(could have been 1990)my brother showed me an article about progressive rock in one of the well known music or entertainment magazines. It was probably either Rolling Stone, Billboard or Entertainment weekly. I am not sure and it could have been something else. I'm just wondering if anyone remembers seeing this.

Here is what I remember about it:

I'm pretty sure they talked about it in the past tense(which makes sense being it was 1991 and there was no clearly defined visible scene yet or at least not one that would reach the mainstream)although they might have mentioned Marillion. I don't remember many specific bands being mentioned and I'm not sure I read the whole thing. I remember there was a story about a guy playing Magma for his female roommate and she said it was the worst piece of music she ever heard. Also, they mentioned "Nursery Cryme" through "The Lamb Lies down on broadway" being some of the best progressive rock albums ever recorded(which of course is true imo).

I honestly don't remember much else about it or what other bands were mentioned though I suppose all the biggest names were mentioned. It seems that there was some re-newed interest when this article appeared but I don't remember seeing much else like it at the time at least not in mainstream music magazines. A few years later The Supernatural Fairy Tales Boxed set came out which also portrayed prog in a retro way. Fortunately the days of prog being portrayed in the past tense would eventually come to an end.

If anyone remembers seeing this please refresh my memory. I remember asking my brother about it later but he either couldn't find the magazine or forgot all about it(probably both).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-19-2015 at 12:27 PM.