Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever forced yourself to listen to an artist/band and ended up liking them

Many many times. One clear example that comes to mine is Yes. The first Yes album I bought was "Going For The One". Prior to that I had heard "Roundabout", "All Good People" and that's about it. I bought "GFTO" on a whim.......and hated it. I listened to it a couple of times and shelved it.......but every so often I would dig it out again and at some point it just clicked. Of course I then became one of the biggest Yes fans on the planet and GFT0 is one of my favorite albums.

My musical tastes have expanded greatly over the years mainly by exposing myself to music that I might not initally like. The festivals have been great for this as well.

Steve Sly

The Band.

I was indifferent toward them, didn't hate or love them. Then, I saw them "live", and they blew me out.
    I made a point of listening to those first two LPs, and while I don't think The Band is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I came to dig them well enough.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Thinking Plague was a bit like that; it took having Mike Johnson chime in here at PE to get my head into a space where I could listen to the stuff and get some kind of a grasp of what they were shooting for. Now I consider myself a fan and am slowly exploring everything I can find.
    Yeah, I'm still struggling with Thinking Plague. Yes, I know I should like them, but something holds me back from making a connection. I'm still trying. I think I have a problem with high vocals (hence my Yes problem).

Steven Wilson.
    Didn't like his voice or what I heard as "Floyd-isms". Now I do, especially later stuff.

Believe it or not, Jeff Beck.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Believe it or else, that's how I started out with XTC. I was familiar with a few of their earlier songs, then when Dear God came out, I went out and bought Skylarking. I wasn't prepared for the psychadelic 60s pop that came forth, being still in a metal phase, so it sat on a shelf for a year. Then, after the first CD issues of The Beatles came out, I swiped up about four or five of the CDs and was at the end of a listening binge when I guy I knew dropped by and started discussing bands influenced by the Beatles and he said "oh, you should check out XTC." Later on I put Skylarking on and let it spin for a while and days later had a few of its tunes in my head. For a month or so, I'd to go to sleep to it. Then Oranges & Lemons was released. I never did really take a shine to the older albums though.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I guess I could say I forced myself to listen to YES. When I got re-aquainted with Kansas in the late 90s I started surfing the web and discovering prog/rock forums. Yes and Genesis were often brought up in discussions (on Kansas fan forums mostly) so I started slowly. I thought I had to start with arguably the most well known prog group. I think my first YES album was Close To The Edge. On first listen the epic didn't click. And You And I was pleasant but I thought it was kinda lightweight. Siberian Khatru knocked me off my feat though. Well, I forced myself to sit through the epic a few more times and eventually it had me by the throat, and wouldn't let go. That album turned me into a prog/nerd for a few years. It opened my mind, and ears to a whole new world of music that I thought I'd ever care about.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Believe it or else, that's how I started out with XTC. I was familiar with a few of their earlier songs, then when Dear God came out, I went out and bought Skylarking. I wasn't prepared for the psychadelic 60s pop that came forth, being still in a metal phase, so it sat on a shelf for a year. Then, after the first CD issues of The Beatles came out, I swiped up about four or five of the CDs and was at the end of a listening binge when I guy I knew dropped by and started discussing bands influenced by the Beatles and he said "oh, you should check out XTC." Later on I put Skylarking on and let it spin for a while and days later had a few of its tunes in my head. For a month or so, I'd to go to sleep to it. Then Oranges & Lemons was released. I never did really take a shine to the older albums though.
    Sounds like auto-brainwashing to me...

but
    for the psychadelic 60s pop that came forth
    ... never thought of psych or 60's when I hear XTC
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Phish. As a DeadHead, when Jerry died in '95 I was in search of my next jam-band fix. Saw both the Dave Matthews Band first and then Phish Summer '96. I immediately swore off DMB. Phish, I said after the show "Talented group but way too goofy for my tastes".

Fast forward to Summer '09. My best friend asked me to attend the one of the first reunion shows@Jones Beach (they had disbanded in Summer '04). Though I iniitially agreed, the day of I tried, unsuccessfully, to get rid of the ticket to another fellow friend not once but twice against my other friend's will. I just didn't want to feel like I was wasting a ticket/spot, know how dedicated their fans was. But I ended up going and by the end of the night I declared it to be the show of the year. And it was my show of the year. Something happened in the 13 years between when I saw them 1st and thereafter and I don't know who to put it into words and maybe it doesn't need to be put into words but it became a musical love affair, over 40 shows seen/heard live and most of them having the time of my life. Go figure!

Peace,
    Alex

Yes, quite a few bands, actually. Not least Yes and King Crimson! Neither of them came easy to me, but there was just something addictive even on the first listens I didn't enjoy, and then of course rich pleasure in the music followed not that long afterwards. Spock's Beard took a while to click for me, but when they did they fast became one of my favourite bands.

Of course, the opposite can happen - where one might listen to a band and really like them upon the first listen, only for them not to stand up to the test of repeated listening and experiencing different albums. For me, Pendragon were like this - loved them when I first heard them, but now I don't enjoy them much.