Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wise After The Event 5.1 due

Wise After The Event 5.1 due

Great news, saw this just now on FB:

"Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of a deluxe 4 disc clamshell boxed set edition of the classic 1978 album Wise After the Event by Genesis founder member Anthony Phillips.
    Produced by Rupert Hine, Wise After the Event was Anthony’s second solo album and was a superb blend of instrumental music and songs. The record saw Anthony supported by an able cast of musicians that included Michael Giles & Mel Collins (King Crimson) and John G. Perry (Caravan, Quantum Jump). Featuring such wonderful compositions as "We’re All As We Lie”, "Now What (Are They Doing to My Little Friends)”, "Moonshooter”, "Paperchase” and the album’s title track, Wise After the Event is a genuine classic of the Progressive era.
    This deluxe edition features a new stereo mix of the album, a newly re-mastered version of the original album stereo mix and a CD of demos, out-takes and extras. The set also includes a DVD (NTSC – Region Free) of a new 5.1 Surround Sound Mix of the record and a lavishly illustrated booklet with a new essay by Jon Dann featuring interviews with Anthony Phillips and Rupert Hine (the album’s producer). Wise After the Event is released on 5th February 2016 and is the latest in Esoteric Recordings’ on-going series of official Anthony Phillips reissues."
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Good news.
    After The Geese and the Ghost,this is my favourite Ant album.Sure Esoteric will do they're usual brilliant best for this release! Looking forward to this.

Very cool!
    I've got everything else so I'll happily step up to the counter for this too!

Excellent! Autobuy for me... I'm glad that there's this type of music around, and along with the more out there recent purchases I've made like the Magma live box, Komara, etc. It's all great stuff...

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Great, I love this low key album, some really lovely songs on it.
    Have it twice on Vinyl (one picture disc) and also the remastered CD, but will definately get the surround version.

Sticking to the vinyl here. Good album nonetheless.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Still have my vinyl from the old days too, always enjoyed those early Ant albums, and their artwork was rewarding to study while spinning the discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like this (and the Geese reissue), but I'm honestly very happy with the excellent 2-disc versions Voiceprint put out a few years ago. Loads of bonus tracks, nice detailed booklets and good sound. The 5.1 mixes are the draw with these new issues, but with all the cash I've shelled out on Ant's catalogue, I just can't justify it. Nice though, that they are out there again for any potential new fans. Long live Ant Phillips and his beautiful music!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

This one is for me since this is an album I don't know yet! Looking forwards to it!

Just listened to the 5.1 mix of Wise and it's a treat. Done by Simon Heyworth and maybe his son? However there's was a missed opportunity here - the original album plan, with the interludes that ended up on PP*P II, would have more than worthy addition to the deluxe set.

Sigh.

The original running order for the album was as follows:
    Side One:
    We're All As We Lie
    Pulling Faces
    Link (Sitars & Nebulous from Back To The Pavilion)
    Squirrel
    Wise After The Event

Side Two:
    Regrets
    We're All As We Lie Link (Romany's Aria from Back To The Pavilion)
    Moonshooter
    Paperlink (Chinaman from Back To The Pavilion)
    Now What (Are They Doing To My Little Friends?)

The EP had the following planned running order:

Side A:
    Greenhouse
    Paperchase

Side B:
    Birdsong
    Hunt Link

(This is the link piece that can be heard after the track Wise After The Event on the released version of the album).
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Still have my vinyl from the old days too, always enjoyed those early Ant albums, and their artwork was rewarding to study while spinning the discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This one has my favorite art work. Absolutely beautiful. You need this one on vinyl just for that and opening it up with the lyrics.

Wonderful 5.1 mix. You can hear so much details.

And I like the instrumental version of Now What!

Yesterday I listened to side 1 (in 5.1) for the very first time: Instrumentally, I totally dig this. You just have to get used to Ant's voice! I find it interesting that this came out at almost the same time as "And then there were three", but "Wise" sounds like it was done several years earlier - almost like an alternative Genesis-offering for the period of ca. 1972 - 1975.

I got mine Saturday and have listened to the new Stereo mix. Excellent. The sonics are much improved...greater clarity in general, greater dynamic range, better separation. Very well done. I look forward to looking at the package and listening to everything else.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this recording. For some reason, despite the fact that I regularly revisit all of his albums, I have not been as regular with "Wise."

And there are so many instances where I hear guitar figures that remind me of how important his acoustic and electric guitars were to early Genesis.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A few reviews gripe that the subwoofer channel is not used, speculating that it might be a production mistake rather than an artistic choice. Any thoughts about that? I haven't picked this up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A few reviews gripe that the subwoofer channel is not used, speculating that it might be a production mistake rather than an artistic choice. Any thoughts about that? I haven't picked this up yet.
    Hmm...I still need to listen to the surround version. I will let you know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Can't help you with this. Although I have a surround-set I don't have a subwoofer. My chamber is too small for that.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Can't help you with this. Although I have a surround-set I don't have a subwoofer. My chamber is too small for that.
    Sorry to hear you're being kept in a chamber!

Seriously, though, how small is it? I ask because I've sometimes wondered how small a room you can usefully put a surround setup in, but I admit I hadn't thought of leaving out the subwoofer.
    How does it sound?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sorry to hear you're being kept in a chamber!

Seriously, though, how small is it? I ask because I've sometimes wondered how small a room you can usefully put a surround setup in, but I admit I hadn't thought of leaving out the subwoofer.
    How does it sound?
    My room is about 4 by 4 meters, although that would be without the walls being filled with LP's, CD's and books. And of course my tv-and-music-set-up and a desk to work on.

But when I place my chair strategically I can listen perfectly to the four surrounding speakers. And although I also have a mid-speaker, I wouldn't mind if I had left that out too. Especially after hearing 4.1 albums like Billy Cobham's Spectrum.

My studio is smaller than than and I have TWO Subs in there! (One for my monitors and one for my big PA that allows the Taurus pedals to really speak!)
    There is also the drum set, the keyboards, the amps, and the vibes in there. (My CDs and books live elsewhere so maybe that is why I have more room for other things...)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    My studio is smaller than than and I have TWO Subs in there! (One for my monitors and one for my big PA that allows the Taurus pedals to really speak!)
    There is also the drum set, the keyboards, the amps, and the vibes in there. (My CDs and books live elsewhere so maybe that is why I have more room for other things...)
    Wait a minute - do you live inside Geddy Lee's head?

I am a true Jack-of-all-trades (master of none)! I am equally terrible on everything that I try to play.
    But I have Big, Big FUN.

"Moonshooter" is an interesting piece. Some guitar part is almost exactly the same as in Genesis' "Your own special way"! I wonder if Ant and Mike Rutherford developed that together - it almost cannot be that similar by chance!

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    "Moonshooter" is an interesting piece. Some guitar part is almost exactly the same as in Genesis' "Your own special way"! I wonder if Ant and Mike Rutherford developed that together - it almost cannot be that similar by chance!
    Interesting.
    I had not seen a parallel before. The lilting, mid-tempo element is shared between them. I'll have to focus on the guitar to look for more.
    I do think Ant's lush backing vocals on the piece are very clever and perfectly "sweeten" the tune.

You can sing perfectly to it "go far enough, and you will see..." etc.