Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bands who's albums you listen from....?

Bands who's albums you listen from....?

Which bands albums do you only listen from a certain point in their catalogue?

For me it's

Genesis & Foxtrot. Their albums that pre-date Foxtrot are kind of weak & sold them on years ago.
    Rush & A Farewell To Kings. This was when they stopped trying to be Led Zep wannabes and found their own niche.

Suspended
    Opeth - not interested in anything prior to Damnation.
    Anathema - only from A Natural disaster onwards.
    The Beach Boys - nothing earlier than Pet Sounds (though there were a few early gems).

Genesis - I rarely listen to their last few albums but I'll occasionally listen to individual songs from that part of their catalog
    Jethro Tull - never listen to anything more recent than Broadsword
    Marillion - nothing after Fish left the band
    Phish - almost never listen to anything after Billy Breathes except for two songs: Guyute and Time Turns Elastic
    Supertramp - have never heard their first 2 albums
    ELP - Aside from Pirates or Fanfare, never listen to anything released after Brain Salad
    Kansas - skip the 2 non-Steve Walsh releases
    Last edited by flowerking; 12-18-2015 at 05:39 AM.

Tull - nothing after Heavy Horses
    Yes - nothing after Drama
    Spocks Beard - nothing after V
    IQ - nothing before Ever (I like the material when performed live, just don't care for the 80's studio sound)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    As a general rule, it's mostly the other way around... I teb-nd to stop listening to a band at some point in their catalogue.... Which means that after the said album, I find it crap, but generally everything before is wortwhile listening

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Supertramp - have never heard their first 2 albums
    Your loss really, because their debut is absolutely lovely (Ok, their second sucks)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Kraan, I mostly tend to skip the first 5 albums.
    That's rather odd, because most everyone I know listen to Kraan until their double live, and tend to avoid what comes after
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    IQ - nothing before Ever (I like the material when performed live, just don't care for the 80's studio sound)
    Yep! Me too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

For me it's

Genesis & Foxtrot. Their albums that pre-date Foxtrot are kind of weak & sold them on years ago.
    Rush & A Farewell To Kings. This was when they stopped trying to be Led Zep wannabes and found their own niche.
    You think Nursery Cryme is kind of weak? Wow, it's one of their best, IMO. Or at least for me it's firmly in there are a core album right along with Foxtrot. But I know it's all subjective...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Not that the earlier albums sound great or anything, but make sure you don't have one of those pirated versions. I had a pirated Tales from the Lush Attic for years, and it gave me a headache though I loved the songs. The official version that was released later was an improvement, then there's also that remixed version or whatever it is that came out a couple of years ago which I think sounded even better. I love Lush Attic, it's my favorite, really.

Genesis: Nursery Crime through Duke
    XTC: English Settlement through Wasp Star (their swan song)
    Yes: s/t debut through Talk
    Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste through The Missing Piece
    ELP: Tarkus through Brain Salad Surgery

For me it's

Rush - Start at 2112 and stop at Signals.
    Genesis - Start at Nursery Cryme and stop at W&W.
    Tull - Start at Stand Up and stop at A, except I also have Crest of a Knave.
    Pink Floyd - Start at Dark Side and stop with The Wall.
    VDGG - Start with H to He and stop at Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome.

Other than those, I can't think of another big name band where I don't own their debut and everything up to a certain point. For KC, I have everything except Islands, Beat and ToaPP.

Bill

[Spocks Beard - nothing after V]

Same with me except replace V with snow although to be fair I don't own anything after Snow except Octane which I haven't listened to yet.

[Genesis - Start at Nursery Cryme and stop at W&W.]

I think this is common for a lot of prog fans although with some they might go one album earlier and or one or two albums later.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's rather odd, because most everyone I know listen to Kraan until their double live, and tend to avoid what comes after
    Wiederhören still is my favorite Kraan album. I love the addition of Ingo Bisschof and I don't care that much for the loss of the saxophone. Joo Kraus also was a nice adding.

Suspended
    Re Genesis - I passed on Trespass for many years because I did not like The Knife, and still don't. It was my loss really, as I now think the rest of the material stands up well.

I can understand people only listening from Trespass onwards, but I think even the first album has its charm, though it does not sound like a real Genesis album. I still listen to it occasionally.

whose

Yes - after Drama I lost interest..one spin of each new album..
    Genesis - after Duke lost interest...
    Pink Floyd - from Piper to WYWH...
    Queen - after Night at the Opera lost interest...

For me it's

I think you're selling Nursery Cryme short, as I find it to be an excellent album. Where as I don't listen to anything after Wind and Wuthering. Agree with you on Rush.

I agree Jack, in fact Nursery Cryme is the only Gabriel period album I still listen to on occasion.

I listen to Genesis from Trick of the Tail up to and including Invisible Touch
    Iron Maiden, I skip the first two with Paul D'ianno

Renaissance everything up to Novella
    Tull everything up to TAAB 2 if we count that as a recent release
    Caravan everything up to Cunning Stunts

To the folks who have listened to no Tull after the 70s/80s--you are missing out on a wonderful Christmas album! the JT Xmas album (which is likely to be the last JT album) is a wonderful holiday tonic from Deck the Halls and Jingle Bells. I listen to it a lot this time of year.

White Willow--Ignus Fatuus. Absolutely love that album. Couldn't get into anything after that

If I really love a band, they are not allowed to make a bad album. When they do, I lose respect and move on.

Rush to Moving Pictures
    Genesis to Wind and Wuthering
    Tull to Songs from the Wood
    Floyd to Animals
    Gentle Giant to Missing Piece
    Yes to Going for the One
    ELP to Brain Salad Surgery
    Renaissance to Novella
    Zeppelin to Presence
    Elton John to Captain Fantastic
    The Doors to LA Woman
    Black Sabbath to Heaven and Hell
    UFO to Obsession
    Scorpions to Animal Magnetism
    Janis Joplin to Cosmic Blues
    Deep Purple to Burn

I don't mind early albums by a band... as long as they developed into a great band. I find that development very interesting and often very inspiring.
    I am always amazed how Pink Floyd took 8 albums to get to Dark Side of the Moon. To go from Meddle to DSOTM is just such a huge leap. Seems there should have been 4 albums between those two.

It's a concept record companies often overlook. A band needs time and support to really develop. You have to encourage them to stay on the art side of things and not make music with the sole idea of financial success.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    whose
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Thank you.
    "Whose" is probably Genesis' lamest album.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Genesis: Nursery Crime through Duke
    XTC: English Settlement through Wasp Star (their swan song)
    Yes: s/t debut through Talk
    Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste through The Missing Piece
    ELP: Tarkus through Brain Salad Surgery
    Totally agree with your YES run and they certainly have the most consistent run of good if not excellent albums!

I know people may have their hang ups about Wikipedia but they are spot on saying Genesis didn't hit any form until Foxtrot!