Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Wow can't believe I am the first to post here.

Very excited by all the positive reviews so far, great to hear and can't wait to see.

My son and I have watched Episodes I to VI in the past week and of course Fanboys (I love this movie ) and have Spaceballs in the queue.

We will go next week to see will,wait for e weekend crowd to get their fix in.

I'm excited for this movie!!!

We have had an ongoing discussion that might interest you:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-Jar-Jar-Binks

I am not as big a Star Wars junkie as many, but my wife and I are taking my dad to see it in IMAX on Sunday. Other than the original and "Empire" was have been pretty underwhelmed by all of the other films, but we'll see I guess.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I feel like the only person who couldn't give a crap. I could barely make it through any of the prequels once.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    What's this Star Wars thingy?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

The last two films were pretty horrible but Abrams does a good job of respecting the old franchises --Star Trek wasn't too bad---and think he'll do the same with Star Wars--trying to go this weekend.

I've heard some negative things about it actually most of which say it is a remake of the original trilogy and doesn't add anything new and that Abrams is too much of a Star Wars fanboy etc etc.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I feel like the only person who couldn't give a crap. I could barely make it through any of the prequels once.
    I thought I saw them all, and I know I saw the 4th, but I just read the wiki summaries for the 5th and 6th ones and they don't ring a bell. I may have been asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I care about the new Star Wars almost as little as I care about Genesis. The Ewoks fouled the franchise beyond recovery.

Saw it last night. I liked it quite a bit. I'll never be a wide-eyed 10 year old again, and it was NEVER going to recapture that same sense of awe as the first few films...but it was nonetheless a really cool film. The new actors were some of the best the franchise has ever offered up. So nice to see actual acting happening, after some of the cut & paste "first take is fine, we'll fix in in post" performances of the prequels.

Is it one of the greatest films of our time? Nope. Not even the greatest SW film ever. But it was fine quality fun. I'm glad they made it
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

if it's half as good as the hype, it should be a great movie.
    Star Wars: The Greed Awakens

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Saw it last night. I liked it quite a bit. I'll never be a wide-eyed 10 year old again, and it was NEVER going to recapture that same sense of awe as the first few films...but it was nonetheless a really cool film. The new actors were some of the best the franchise has ever offered up. So nice to see actual acting happening, after some of the cut & paste "first take is fine, we'll fix in in post" performances of the prequels.

Is it one of the greatest films of our time? Nope. Not even the greatest SW film ever. But it was fine quality fun. I'm glad they made it
    This pretty much reflects just about every review I've read.

Which makes me happy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

In a galaxy far, far away, we go boldly where no one has gone before, seeking out new music forms to infinity and beyond in a Sci-Fi Echoes. Upon the release of the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, Star Captain John Diliberto awakens the space music aliens. It’s a different kind of Star Wars soundtrack tonight on a Sci-Fi Echoes. http://wp.me/p4ZE0X-5To

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This pretty much reflects just about every review I've read.

Which makes me happy.
    Yeah, made me happy too.

Not as happy as it must be making Iger (Disney CEO) though...apparently it made $57 million in just one day, and is on track to pull in $215-220 million this weekend. I read an article this morning that for the $4 billion Disney paid for the franchise, they've already made around $8 Billion including all the merch sales. Not a bad ROI, IMHO.

I will be seeing it again a couple of times, with different friends during the holiday season. I actually think it will be an even more enjoyable film on second viewing...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I can just imagine the MAD magazine parody for this: Star Wars: The Farce Awakens.

I'm going to try to see it next week, but I'll probably bring a book just in case.

I can imagine the Mel Brooks version. The Schwartz Awakens.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    In a galaxy far, far away, we go boldly where no one has gone before, seeking out new music forms to infinity and beyond in a Sci-Fi Echoes. Upon the release of the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, Star Captain John Diliberto awakens the space music aliens. It’s a different kind of Star Wars soundtrack tonight on a Sci-Fi Echoes. http://wp.me/p4ZE0X-5To
    It seems that this has been pre-empted by something else(unfortunately).

That's pretty much what my 16 yr old son said (he saw it at 2am last night) - I don't think anyone could have hoped for much beyond this! Sounds worth seeing.

I actually think it will be an even more enjoyable film on second viewing...
    Let us know if that's the case.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    if it's half as good as the hype, it should be a great movie.
    Star Wars: The Greed Awakens
    The Franchise Awakens.

I've never seen ANY Star Wars movie and have no wish to. It's for kids. Nothing wrong with having movies for kids, but I'm just not a kid anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The Franchise Awakens.

I've never seen ANY Star Wars movie and have no wish to. It's for kids. Nothing wrong with having movies for kids, but I'm just not a kid anymore.
    It's for all ages. Unless you're too old to have fun.

Star Wars - The Force Awakens

I saw it last night. Fun is the right word - which is my view of most of the other SW movies. As much depth as may be suggested by the existence of so many different planets and races, the stories seem sort of only "skin deep" in comparison. That's not a bad thing though, in my opinion.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 12-19-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The Franchise Awakens.

Ok, give us a quick list of your top 5 films, just so we know what's wrong with you.

Mind you, I'm not really interested in this new Star Wars, but when the original came out I was 14 so the timing was great.

Also, no Star Wars film would make my top 10 (or 20 films) but the original three were great fun.

Let's not and say we did.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.