Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Frankly, having awards categories like 'Best Editing' is ridiculous. Without access to a pre-edited cut of the film to compare with the finished product it's impossible for anyone to know or evaluate what the editors did.
    Good editing may be subtle but bad editing stands out like a sore thumb.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Without access to a pre-edited cut of the film to compare with the finished product it's impossible for anyone to know or evaluate what the editors did.
    Not at all true. Bad editing is obvious and distracting. The difference between good editing and great editing can be more difficult to discern, though. When done well, editing is invisible at first glance, because one is only engaged with the story.

- - edit - -

Or, what rcarlberg said.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I remember one film, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," where the editing became the central theme of the movie. Only by following the hair color of the central character, played by Kate Winslet, could you place the scenes in chronological order and begin to piece together the plot from its disjointed and out-of-sequence pieces. It was nominated (and won) for a bunch of screenwriting awards but the editing didn't win squat.

Nobody appreciates good editing.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I think of Trainspotting as an example of great editing. There is a superb visual rhythm to the film, and the visual beats are flawless.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I like shows that don't show everything that happens. The "Fargo" TV series is great for that -- they set up that something is about to happen, and then the next shot reveals evidence that it happened, without having to show it. That kind of storytelling allows much more plot to happen, and it doesn't insult the intelligence of the viewer.

Saw the film a while ago. I liked it. Loads of fun. Blows away those prequels to kingdom come. Looking forward to the next episode.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-S...ek-113007.html

Why Star Wars Fans Will Want To Follow Chewbacca On Twitter This Week

Chewbacca made his triumphant return to the big-screen back in December when he appeared alongside his old pal Han Solo in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It turns out that was just the beginning though. Because Peter Mayhew, the actor that has portrayed everyone’s favorite Wookiee since Star Wars began, is going to be releasing pages from his original 1976 Star Wars script on Twitter.

Why has Peter Mayhew decided to release such a prized possession onto the world-wide-web? Well, because he wants to celebrate the start of filming on Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Over the next few days 71-year-old Peter Mayhew will release a few page of The Adventures Of Luke Starkiller as taken from the Journal Of The Whills by George Lucas to his Twitter account @TheWookieeRoars. Peter Mayhew will start uploading these pages to his account at 8PM EST on February 17. Which means that you either need to head over there right away and wait patiently for the first Tweet. Or click over to catch up.

But what makes the unveiling of this script even more exciting is that once the final pages have been uploaded to Peter Mayhew’s Twitter page, the 7 ft 3 in actor will pair it with a huge announcement.

"the Wookie Roars" he-he-he

The Hand of the Solo

Star Wars fans leak painstaking restoration of 1977 original film

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/16...s-restore-1977

[a segment of the article]

The Silver Screen version is without the special editions’ dialogue tweaks, visual polish, and Mos Eisley’s added CGI creatures, and Han naturally shoots first (Atad points out that it’s actually jarring to realize that not only does Han fire first, but Greedo doesn’t shoot at all). There have been similar renegade restoration attempts in the past (such as the fan-made Despecialized Edition), and the Silver Screen edition still has plenty of visual flaws (pops, scratches, color issues). But connoisseurs of bootleg Star Wars video claim this edition is the most impressive they’ve seen so far
    The specs for the Silver Screen Edition

History : Star Wars was the second print procured
    by Team Negative1.
    6 x 35mm reels were scanned and archived.
    There was 6 reels of a Spanish LPP print, and 5 reels
    of a red faded Eastman print, and 1 further reel 5 with
    10 minutes.

The LPP had minimal damage, but more on the heads and tails.
    There was a constant amount of dust and dirt throughout.

There were no splices except for the original crawl, and
    Han shoots first scene.

Technical : Scan was in 2k, and resulted in a HD 1080p version.
    Later, select shots were rescanned in 4k, along with the rest
    of the LPP print. This was not used as the workflow was already
    1080p.

Features:
    - Major dust and dirt cleanup
    - Deflickered
    - Stabilized
    - Major scene by scene color correction
    - Replacement shots from Eastman print

- Intro, and original 1977 crawl
    - Han shoots first
    - Various dark scenes
    These fans really get into it!

I have the Despecialized HD Editions and they are the only versions I watch. The work that went into those is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-S...ek-113007.html

Why Star Wars Fans Will Want To Follow Chewbacca On Twitter This Week
    Or you could read the graphic novel The Star Wars ...
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

"THE FORCE AWAKENS" -- available on Digital HD this friday, April 1st!

Bluray available April 5th!

I saw it for the second time in the theater the other night(Tues.). I think it is a very good movie but it falls short of being what I would call a perfect film or a masterpiece of cinema. I would give it a B+.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I saw it for the second time in the theater the other night(Tues.). I think it is a very good movie but it falls short of being what I would call a perfect film or a masterpiece of cinema. I would give it a B+.
    I haven't seen it all yet, but enough to understand what's there story wise. When I see it all I'll have more of an opinion. Seems well shot and the production design is fine, but I think those criticisms that it's basically a remake of Episode IV are understandable. My guess is they were afraid of some backclash like the prequels and so made it as close to the originals as possible. Also Abrams is a fan of those (as I understand it) so it's all logical in which direction he went. I just don't get why they couldn't take some risks with it. It's enough if it looks good, just make something new with the story. Also they seem to lack confidence in the new actors if they strech the presence of Hamill and Fisher to at least one more film. I think it's done on purpose as those newcomers are hardly someone who can carry an entire film on their shoulders. With no Ford or Hamill the filmmakers would have to rely on the brand's name to get the box office they want because let's be honest - a lot of people wanted to see this because the old actors returned. I'm one of those. I would want to see it anyway but my enthusiasm wouldn't be very big. I saw the prequels only some years after they came out. And I don't even remember much about the second or third one.

The trailer for Star Wars: Rogue One (one of the three spin off movies) which comes out in december:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oec_YR_fJtM

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story PE thread started yesterday.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well, I've been way behind but finally watched The Force Awakens yesterday, then followed it up today with Rogue One. Overall, I found them to repeat themes and scenes from the original trilogy a bit too much. How many movies can you watch about rebels trying to destroy a planet-killing weapon? But I'm going to advance to The Last Jedi and see if it offers something different.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm going to advance to The Last Jedi and see if it offers something different.
    Oh it definitely does. That's why it's so divisive among the fan base.

I loved TLJ from the first time I saw it precisely because it was different, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Bad editing is obvious and distracting. The difference between good editing and great editing can be more difficult to discern, though. When done well, editing is invisible at first glance, because one is only engaged with the story.
    I recently watched Paul Schrader's "First Reformed" (2018) starring Ethan Hawke. The editing on that film had a very odd effect.

Schrader intentionally left the camera running as characters left the room, or started it a few beats before they entered. He used static camera positions entirely, and a lot of long shots.

The effect -- confirmed in his commentary as on purpose -- is that the film viewer is pushed away. Instead of feeling INVOLVED in the movie, the viewer feels like a passive observer, like a fly on the wall. Like the movie isn't unfolding for him alone. That the story is happening quite apart from whether the viewer watches the screen or not.

It was slightly off-putting, and not entirely to the film's benefit (in my view) but it was what Schrader wanted to do.

Of course some directors can do the same thing with Ewoks or Gungans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno
    The Silver Screen version is without the special editions’ dialogue tweaks, visual polish, and Mos Eisley’s added CGI creatures, and Han naturally shoots first (Atad points out that it’s actually jarring to realize that not only does Han fire first, but Greedo doesn’t shoot at all). There have been similar renegade restoration attempts in the past (such as the fan-made Despecialized Edition), and the Silver Screen edition still has plenty of visual flaws (pops, scratches, color issues). But connoisseurs of bootleg Star Wars video claim this edition is the most impressive they’ve seen so far.
    It seems very odd to me that somebody has to do a "fan restoration" of the original un-messed-with film. It's not like the original cut has never been released!

I have two DVD boxed sets of the original trilogy: the common Spielberg abortion (which I think is an abomination) and a very limited-edition, pre-altered DVD set that came out as a promotional set or something. It was expen$ive due to its rarity, but I know it exists because I own one.