Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

The rehash in the story was pretty eye-rollish, but I think there was "just enough" new stuff in it to keep it enjoyable and keep me interested. But just barely.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    The rehash in the story was pretty eye-rollish, but I think there was "just enough" new stuff in it to keep it enjoyable and keep me interested. But just barely.
    Right. This is where I'm at. Along with the word that the next film will be directed by someone other than JJ Abrams (forget who, at the moment) and that it will be very different. We'll see.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I feel a disturbance in the force.

I find your lack of prog disturbing...

I am your father.

Huh, IMDB already has the plot of 8 listed:
    Act I:
    Luke has been training Rey in the ways of the force for several years in the high cliffs of the Jedi temple. Rey is learning the ways of the Force, but Luke is troubled by her immense power and inability to control her passions. Luke reveals that he is her father. She asks questions about her mother, but Lukes answers are evasive. Luke notes that Kylo Ren killed her when he turned to the dark side. Luke sees the anger rising in her and ends their training for the day.
    Captain Phasma, trying to redeem her failures at Starkiller Base, teams with a mysterious shadow figure to set a trap for the Skywalkers. Phasma, the Shadow, Luke and Rey battle through the Jedi Temple in the cliffs. Luke cuts off the bio-mechanical arm of the Shadow while Rey and Phasma tumble through a window down a precipice and plunge into the ocean. Luke moves to eliminate the Shadow and has a shocking realizationthe Shadow is a simulacrum of his dead wife, Mara Jade. Luke is stunned and can not kill her, allowing her and Phasma to escape.
    (Note:If you think Im just pulling this out of my ass, Im not. This plot directly rhymes with events in Attack of the Clones and mirrors events in Empire Strikes Back. These events introduce the mystery and set the stage for the events in Act II: a flight to safety; the investigation of a mystery; and the capture and rescue by our heroes. Review the Key Elements at the top of this article.)
    Act II:
    Luke contacts Leia and they discuss the appearance of Mara Jade. They are both shocked at the re-appearance of Lukes dead wife and agree Rey must be protected. Its too dangerous to risk her falling into the dark side. Rey isnt happy about being shunted away again and resents her father and aunt. Poe is assigned to protect Rey and they retreat to safety, setting the stage for their romance.
    The Republic figured out the First Order is a major threat and declared war after the destruction of the Hosnian system by Starkiller base. Finn worked with Leia, Poe and the Republic to hunt down the First Order and they are on the run. Finn, now a military hero, volunteers to accompany Luke to investigate Mara Jade and her strange biomechanical nature.
    We see Kylo Ren training with Snoke when Captain Phasma and Mara Jade return from their failed assassination attempt. Jades arm is already growing back. Kylo Ren is perturbed by Jade, but its not clear why. Snoke discusses how their new alliance will enable them to defeat the Republic. Kylo Ren does not trust their new friends and says they should trust in the Force. Snoke dismisses his concerns and General Hux consults with his secretive allies.
    During their journey and from discussions between Poe and Rey, we learn that Lukes romance with Mara Jade and their child was the catalyst for Ben turning to the dark side. Ben felt like Luke betrayed the Jedi code by taking one of his older Jedi pupils as a wife. It was then that Snoke appeared and taught Ben the truth about his grandfatherthat Anakin had been the Sith lord Darth Vader, a fact that Luke, Leia and Han had hidden from him.
    Snoke convinced Ben that the jedi were corrupt. Ben joined the Knights of Ren, a group of clones still trying to execute Order 66. He became their leader and they slaughtered Lukes Jedi academy. Snoke killed Mara Jade while she was protecting young Rey. Luke almost killed Snoke with a lightsaber strike to the head but Snoke escaped with Kylo Ren. A distraught Luke had Rey hidden on Jakku with his old friend Lor San Tekka to watch over her (along with the map, which Tekka was to give to Rey when she was older).
    During the journey, Luke realizes that Finn is force sensitive, and gives him some basic lessons in the Force. They meet up with Lando Calrissian, now an arms dealer. Landos hot, cocky daughter named Chance catches Finns eye and their affection smolders. Lando and Chance tell Luke and Finn about the arrival of a new species in the galaxy, the Yuuzhan Vong, who have become secret allies of the First Order.
    Lando relates stories about the First Order and Yuuzhan Vong becoming allies. With information from Lando, Luke, Chance and Finn infiltrate the First Order base and discover Kylo Ren, Captain Phasma and Mara Jade, who was saved from the edge of death by Yuuzhan Vong biotechnology and is now their agent. Luke confronts Mara Jade, but she betrays him with the help of the Yuuzhan Vong. Luke and Finn are captured and Kylo Ren decides to use them as bait to attract his cousin. Chance escapes to warn the Resistance.
    (Ready for your sex secrets?) Meanwhile Poe and Rey are falling in love. Rey confesses her resentment at being squirreled away and suffers a series of disturbing visions. The Yuuzhen Fong and First Order discover them and chase them through an asteroid field. Rey taps into the power of her anger to defeat them. She uses the dark Force mind reading power she learned from Rey to find out where Finn and Luke are being held.
    Reys passions rise and we can see the beginning of her descent into the dark side. Luke is intensely disturbed, both by his perception of Rey falling to the dark side, the mystery of his dead wifes re-appearance and his realization that the Yuuzhan Vong are outside the Living Force.
    Poe and Rey rush off to the First Order base to save Finn and Luke. Chance informs Lando of the capture and location of the First Order base, and he works with Leia, Chewbacca and the Republic to coordinate an attack.
    Act III:
    The Resistance discovers the First Order base in a barren wasteland and launches a major ground attack against them and their Vong allies. Reys quick thinking destroys a main element of the enemys defenses and the Resistance presses their attack. Rey and Poe rescue Luke, but Finn is taken away by Captain Phasma (and frozen in carbonite, ha!) for re-education. Rey impulsively presses ahead and confronts Mara Jade and Kylo Ren alone.
    Rey kills Mara Jade by beheading her with a lightsaber, but the Force impact stuns her. Kylo Ren is now more powerful than Rey, having fully embraced the dark side, and defeats her by taking her hand. However, he does not kill her, but reveals that she just killed her own mother. She is distraught that neither Luke or Leia told her, and Ren uses this to tempt her to the dark side. He tells her that the Jedi are corrupt and she should join him.
    But while Rey is overcome with emotion, Luke appears and defeats Kylo Ren, forcing him to run away. Rey picks up her mothers severed head and swears vengeance. Poe arrives to comfort her.
    The First Order and their Yuuzhan Vong allies retreat. However, a final scene shows Kylo Ren and Snook discussing the upcoming conflict. In the background, a First Order fleet is dwarfed by a massive Yuuzhan Vong invasion force. General Hux notes how their new allies will turn the tide of the battle and Snoke tells of a vision he had where the Yuuzhan Vong will transform the balance of the Force.
    Luke, Lando and Leia discuss their worries about Rey and the arrival of their new enemies. The movie closes with Poe and Rey at a secret retreat together passionately embracing.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Huh, IMDB already has the plot of 8 listed:
    Why do I get the feeling this is only a fan theory?

Hmmm...nothing about Gandalf in there...damn....

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Why do I get the feeling this is only a fan theory?
    It probably is, but it's pretty good, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

A lot of Episode VII comes from the Expanded Universe of Star Wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...anded_universe

Kylo Ren's character was a ripoff of Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Kylo Ren's character was a ripoff of Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.
    As well as Anakin Skywalker from Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    A lot of Episode VII comes from the Expanded Universe of Star Wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...anded_universe
    Disney declared that the EU was not canon as soon as they bought the rights. I don't doubt they'll steal from it since there were some fantastic stories and ideas in that vast body of work, but nothing that happened in those books, games, comics and other media will be part of the continuing Star Wars universe. Officially.

I'm waiting for the name Mara Jade to pop up in the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Disney declared that the EU was not canon as soon as they bought the rights. I don't doubt they'll steal from it since there were some fantastic stories and ideas in that vast body of work, but nothing that happened in those books, games, comics and other media will be part of the continuing Star Wars universe. Officially.
    Oh yeahhhhh… they will definitely continue to borrow from the expanded universe.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I'm waiting for the name Mara Jade to pop up in the next movie.
    I'm hoping for it. Would be interesting to see how they tie her into the current storyline. She would be a great character to introduce into the series.

Zahn felt she was necessary since there weren't many strong female characters in Star Wars up to that time. With Rey, either she's going to fill that need now, or be a reflection of her mother, Mara. I think it would be great if they add Mara Jade to the new story. Luke needed some action anyway...that wasn't his sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Man, I hate JJ Abrams.
    Then you should be happy that this is the only one of the new Star Wars films that he will write or direct.

These topics could be debated from all kinds of various angles. One just has to look at the list of the 10 highest grossing films list of the year, some of the answers are there. Maybe Scorcese is right when he said that the commercial competition started in the 80's, maybe Carpenter is right saying that we're still living in the 80's and they never ended. My guess is that there was always going to be somebody who turned the moviemaking into more of a business than anything else. If it wasn't Lucas it would be somebody else. Perhaps the formula would be different and instead of Star Wars it would be something like Back To The Future as a gamechanger.
    There are all kinds of flicks made each year, but even among the so called B movies, independent or low budget cinema there could be better things than there are. There is a word that now these films cost so much that they're hardly small independents anymore. And they need to be promoted heavily to get to an audience. But perhaps it has always been like that (if it's even true).
    For every Star Wars or Avengers there is a It Follows, but there absolutely needs to be more of those, if there is an audience for them and most importantly - if there are talented folks who are interested and capable of making them.

In other news, these are John Mitchell's (Arena, Frost*) shoes:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    In other news, these are John Mitchell's (Arena, Frost*) shoes:

Whatta guy!

Myself, I prefer the Boba Fett edition…

I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Sunday. I was pleasantly delighted with the film. I look forward to the next one.

Of the original trilogy, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite; Jedi is the weakest mainly due to the Ewoks. I was not very pleased with the prequels, but I did enjoy the battle scenes. Episode 3 is probably the best of the prequels, even though they botched the Vader transformation.

So, when the opening crawl started for Force Awakens, tears came into my eyes. It was a great feeling to read the opening of a new Star Wars film without knowing ahead of time what it was about… especially seeing some familiar character names! During the film, I got chills each time an old favorite would step into frame. I wept during another scene. Bravo!

Hey, I'm a Star Wars fanboy. I never have been afraid to admit it. I was a wee lad when I went to see Star Wars in Hollywood in '77. I've been hooked ever since. I buy select merchandise (including the expanded novels), but I am very picky in what I choose to add to my collection. I still have some of the original action figures and soundtrack LPs, but I do not buy anything and everything that gets released. However, my Star Wars collection is larger than my music collection. Star Wars has been a family bond since the beginning. Many of my relatives (including very close friends) are big fans. I know the stories and the acting are usually mid-level, but it's how it makes me feel inside that gives those mediocre points some energizing life.

My older brother wants to have a Star Wars themed Halloween party in 2016. We will be creating life-size replicas of many Star Wars characters that will be displayed throughout the party floor: Darth Vader; Darth Maul; Boba Fett; Emperor Palpatine (ROTJ version); Kylo Ren; Han Solo in carbonate chamber. It's a fun project that we get to do with our children. My daughter (age 3) was my assistant as I built Yoda this week. About 75% done… I just need the eyes, final robe and to decide if I want his hands and/or feet to be exposed. He's slightly taller than the film version, but I think he's looking ok.

PS-
    The two best characters that were underutilized in Star Wars films: Boba Fett & Darth Maul.

May The Force Be With You, Gruno.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    May The Force Be With You, Gruno.

That Yoda is pretty awesome.

Yoda was for me the beginning of the end of SW's appeal. I just could not get it out of my mind that Yoda was what Kermit The Frog was going to look like at 100.

It's hard to accept the aging of childhood idols.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>