Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Sure, the aliens can build great big interstellar space craft with lots of flashing lights -- and they want to talk to the guy who plays with his mashed potatoes.
    I haven't analysed the film in great detail. It would have been interesting to see what Mcqueen would have done in that role, he was Spielberg's first choice but he said to him that he couldn't act out the crying scene in the film.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Emmerich is a fan of Spielberg as in films like Independence Day you can see some of the same things which you see in Spielberg's movies. Maybe with a touch more intellect. And Cameron is somewhere there.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    ... in films like Independence Day you can see some of the same things which you see in Spielberg's movies. Maybe with a touch more intellect.
    LET'S

PUT

A

VIRUS

IN

THEIR

COMPUTER!

LET'S

PUT

A

VIRUS

IN

THEIR

COMPUTER!
    They'll certainly put something in their computer in the sequel which is coming this year
    The intellect stuff - it was meant in relation to Spielberg's output, that his films have more of that.

There is no intellect in Emmerich's films.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There is no intellect in Emmerich's films.
    Only beautiful, beautiful large-scale destruction.

Always a valuable alternative to intellect. (viz. Trump)

Movies are a visual medium, and I'd rather enjoy life, than dissect it. *shrugs*

Well when the internet connection sometimes is not up to speed while chatting on Skype, the other party does sound a bit like rd2d

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Movies are a visual medium, and I'd rather enjoy life, than dissect it. *shrugs*
    Generally agree, unless the premise is so stupid that it takes you out of the story.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar
    I'd rather enjoy life, than dissect it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates
    ὁ ... ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ (The unexamined life is not worth living).

…and where is Socrates now? That's right -- dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    Well when the internet connection sometimes is not up to speed while chatting on Skype, the other party does sound a bit like rd2d
    "Arturito Soup!"

Just read an article on Oscars and someone was either surprised or even upset that Star Wars was not nominated in some serious categories. There was a mention that it's a huge hit both commercially and critically and people love it and etc etc but that the Academy obviously doesn't care about all of these parameters. And I would say that it adds to their credibility and good for them if all that craze around the flick hasn't influenced them. On the other hand, how seriously the Oscars should be taken these days anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Abrams has acknowledged this:

“It was obviously a wildly intentional thing that we go backwards, in some ways, to go forwards in the important ways, given that… ‘Star Wars’ is a kind of specific gorgeous concoction of George [Lucas]’s that combines all sorts of things,” Abrams explained. “Ultimately, the structure of ‘Star Wars’ itself is as classic and tried and true as you can get. It was itself derivative of all of these things that George loved so much, from the most obvious, ‘Flash Gordon’ and Joseph Campbell, to the [Akira] Kurosawa references, to Westerns — I mean, all of these elements were part of what made ‘Star Wars.'”
    True enough, but George spun all those elements into a new pattern. I understand that a key theme of TFA is the way things repeat from one generation to the next, but even different generations should cycle through things in their own ways.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    On the other hand, how seriously the Oscars should be taken these days anyway?
    About as seriously as ever.

40% movie popularity
    60% actor willingness to appear without makeup

We saw the movie over the weekend and I was underwelmed. Along with many of the criticisms mentioned here, I was suprised about a couple of things. I thought there was a distinct lack of athleticism/choreography in the action/fight scenes that were present in the previous movies (IV - VI, never saw the prequels). I was also surprised that this many years later, the CGI battle scenes were hardly relevatory. Pretty much a been there, done it from a technical standpoint. Something like the Avengers movies seems to be (ahem) lightyears ahead in this department.

And one last quibble - I don't see a lot of 3D films in the theatre, but this one seemed extremely dark. I felt I was missing a lot of the mise-en-scène.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    And one last quibble - I don't see a lot of 3D films in the theatre, but this one seemed extremely dark. I felt I was missing a lot of the mise-en-scène.
    This seems to be typical of most 3-D movies. All the colours are dulled and everything becomes shades of grey. "Avatar" was the only exception to this rule I've seen since 3-D's big return in recent years.

^^^That's the one that I kept thinking about as I was squinting through the damn glasses.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

As a huge Star Wars fanatic, I had/have no interest in watching the latest film in 3D.

About as seriously as ever.

40% movie popularity
    60% actor willingness to appear without makeup
    George C. Scott and (I think) Jason Robards refused to accept their awards in the 70's, maybe they didn't want to go through the "I want to thank..." or "When I started the grass was different...".

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wa...ar-nominations

Nominations for the 88th Annual Academy Awards were announced today, and the latest film in the Star Wars saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has been nominated in five categories:

Film Editing – Maryann Brandon and Marty Jo Markey
    Original Score – John Williams
    Visual Effects – Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan, and Chris Corbould
    Sound Editing – Matthew Wood and David Acord
    Sound Mixing – Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio, and Stuart Wilson

This marks the most nominations for a Star Wars film since the release of the original Star Wars in 1977, which received 10 nods and won six Oscars; The Empire Strikes Back (1980) received three nominations, winning two Oscars; Return of the Jedi (1983) nabbed four nominations with one win; The Phantom Menace (1999) captured three nominations; Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005) both received one nomination.

We’re thrilled and congratulate all the nominees. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Bryan Burk, is a film that has introduced a galaxy far, far away to whole new generation, and we’re proud of everyone who worked to bring it to life.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Nominations for the 88th Annual Academy Awards were announced today, and the latest film in the Star Wars saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has been nominated in five categories:

Film Editing – Maryann Brandon and Marty Jo Markey
    Original Score – John Williams
    Visual Effects – Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan, and Chris Corbould
    Sound Editing – Matthew Wood and David Acord
    Sound Mixing – Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio, and Stuart Wilson
    Frankly, having awards categories like 'Best Editing' is ridiculous. Without access to a pre-edited cut of the film to compare with the finished product it's impossible for anyone to know or evaluate what the editors did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Frankly, having awards categories like 'Best Editing' is ridiculous. Without access to a pre-edited cut of the film to compare with the finished product it's impossible for anyone to know or evaluate what the editors did.
    That's an interesting point. I think the end result is still what matters. As an editor myself, if the final piece is an engaging outcome, it doesn't matter so much the prep or method used to get it to that point so much. That would be much more insider industry stuff anyways.

To take that a step further, can't you really apply the principle to directing and acting as well? How do you know what role a director played in an actor's performance for example? For these awards, it's all about the outcomes from my perspective (well, when it's not about popularity, politics, and who is dating who...lol).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Yes, it's been nominated in some, but not in the so called big categories. I think the article I read meant this aspect.