Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jethro Tull albums after Stormwach- How do you rate them?

...now onto Walk Into Light and Under Wraps... I can't listen to this stuff... ugh
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Where is everybody getting "rid" of these excess and superfluous possessions to?

Do you just throw them out? donate? sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Where is everybody getting "rid" of these excess and superfluous possessions to?

Most of the post A Tull I got rid of, I got rid of long enough ago that I got something for them, either a bit of cash or a trade. Today, I'm not sure what I'd do with them. It's hardly worth unloading these things for $1+postage on e-Bay or Amazon. I guess I'd try the trade route, but that isn't as good an option on the new PE (no criticism intended, that's just been my experience).

Bill

A is easily as good as SFTW.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    A is easily as good as SFTW.
    To you maybe, not to me. I did keep A, and enjoy parts of it. But I don't like it nearly as much as SftW, or Heavy Horses (two of my very favorite tull albums). I even like Stormwatch better than A, but not by much.

The song I really like from A which rarely gets a lot of attention is Uniform. I love the violin in this song, and the sort of dissonant melody. If more of the album was like this, I'd probably like if more, but to me there's a lot of "fluff" on A that I feel is disposable.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    To you maybe, not to me. I did keep A, and enjoy parts of it. But I don't like it nearly as much as SftW, or Heavy Horses (two of my very favorite tull albums). I even like Stormwatch better than A, but not by much.

The song I really like from A which rarely gets a lot of attention is Uniform. I love the violin in this song, and the sort of dissonant melody. If more of the album was like this, I'd probably like if more, but to me there's a lot of "fluff" on A that I feel is disposable.

Bill
    I agree that A is not essential but it's my third favorite from this group of albums after RtB and Crest of a Knave. There's a feeling of enthusiasm on A that was lacking on Stormwatch, which was recorded under a cloud due to Glascock's failing health and bad vibes between Anderson and Barlow. A is more than decent and is better than CR, Under Wraps, BSatB and Rock Island put together. IMHO.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 12-17-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: CoaK
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Fylingdale, Uniform, And further on, Pine Marten are great tracks to me. I also dig Walk into light. Nice snare sound he used for most of the tracks. Hopefully these 2 have some extra material to add to future releases

Sell. I cut my CD collection in half over the last couple of years. I can't justify owning as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Fylingdale, Uniform, And further on, Pine Marten are great tracks to me.
    "Batteries Not Included" is also fun.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

1. Broadsword - the best Tull album after the classic era (and has lots of great additional material on the remaster as well).
    2. A - an average album elevated by Jobson's writing/performances.
    3. Roots to Branches - very strong, but a bit same-y in parts.
    4. J.Tull.com - an overlooked album, with a terrible name/cover. If you took the best songs and combined it with the best of Ian's The Secret Language of Birds you'd have an excellent album.
    5. Crest of the Knave - a bit AOR, but overall good music.
    6. Under Wraps - good songs, but marred by the production/drum machines.
    7. Rock Island - a weak album, I never revisit it.
    8. Catfish Rising - unlistenable, the worst music in their discography.
    I can't comment on the Christmas album as I don't own it! Still, most of their albums after Stormwatch are worth seeking out.

A- I enjoy this one, though not as much as the few that came before it. Black Sunday is a monster track, and Crossfire, Flyingdale Flyer, and Batteries Not Included are solid songs.

Broadsword- an improvement in my opinion over A. Pussy Willow, Beastie, Slow Marching Band, Broadsword, Clasp, Seal Driver, and Fallen on Hard Times are all can't miss Tull tracks.

Under Wraps-other than a song or two, never did really enjoy this one. It sits in my collection and hasn't been played in many years.

Crest-really dig this one, despite its somewhat 'Dire Straits-ish' sound at times. Steel Monkey, Farm on the Freeway, and Budapest are classics.

Rock Island-this one gets blasted a lot, but I always enjoyed it. Perhaps nothing essential on it (save for the title track) but pretty solid Tull.

Catfish- perhaps too bluesy in spots, but it's the hard rock tunes that work for me, like This is Not Love, Occasional Demons, and Doctor to My Disease. Perhaps Tull's first really 'generic' sounding album. Not bad, but certainly not great

Roots-easily my favorite of all the ones we are talking about. Love the Middle Eastern themes, the textures, and Martin's incredible guitar work. Ian is really creative with the flute melodies on this album, signaling things to come on his solo records. The title track is a drop dead Tull classic.

Dot Com- meh. A few good tunes, but overall it sounds like the band going through the motions and putting out a Tull album just because they had to.

Christmas album- love this. This one gets a lot of play around the holidays in my house.

Listening to Broadsword And the Beast right now.

Suspended
    I am listening right now to Broadsword, the only post-Stormwatch Tull that I have. My goodness I had forgotten how good some of the songs are, especially Flying Colours, Slow Marching Band and Seal Driver.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I won't count the Christmas Album because it contains previously released material that's been re-recorded. And none of the new versions are as good as the originals. Still, a pleasant album.
    It contained previously unreleased material too, I believe. It all works very well as a package, IMO.

My sister has a garage sale every summer, and I always bring her a box of excess CD's. I have also donated quite a few to Peter Renfro to sell at ProgDay over the years as a fundraiser.

Stormwatch seemed a bit tired at the time though I;ve come to appreciate it more now. I grew to love A. After that nothing grabbed me until 'El Nino' on Roots to Branches and "Rare and Precious Chain' on dot.com. I used 'Budapest' as a pee break at Tull concerts in the 90s/2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Stormwatch seemed a bit tired at the time though I;ve come to appreciate it more now. I grew to love A. After that nothing grabbed me until 'El Nino' on Roots to Branches and "Rare and Precious Chain' on dot.com. I used 'Budapest' as a pee break at Tull concerts in the 90s/2000s.
    Vise versa - El Nino is on Dot,Com, Rare and Precious Chain from RtB.

I like "Roots to Branches." "Catfish rising" is pretty bland and boring. "Rock Island" is almost as bad but not quite. Despite it's 80's production and sound "Crest of the Knave" is actually not too bad and quite enjoyable for the most part. It's certainly better than the two that came after it. I can't comment on most of the others.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-15-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Catfish Rising has that recognizable melancholy bitterness, and satyre spirit,very characteristic of Tull, while thing like B&tB is an attempt to make a pure commercial album. I hardly hear a melody through truimphal drum stomp. Rock Island is very good, wonderful album. Roots to Branches sounds different, very good album too.