Page 96 of 403 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 10053

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

So? Who's winning the gold? I'm not convince Canada will repeat. Possibly Sweden?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I think any of CAN, RUS, USA, SWE have a good chance. Personally, I think CAN is way too stacked to not get gold. We shall see!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The large ice surface will take some getting used to. Expect the teams made up of players who play in Europe to have an early advantage. That being said, those countries are a little short on pure talent. I agree that it will be one of the four you listed. I'm hearing the Russians are looking good, but Russians tend to fold under pressure. They don't have the grit that CAN and the USA have.

I'm with Scott about those four being the top contenders. I'm picking the Canadians based on depth at forward and defense but who the hell knows when it comes to the Olympics. Bigger ice and slightly different rules always make it a bit more of a crapshoot that it really should.

Sweden looked pretty good taking apart the Czech team today.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I think it will be Sweden and Canada in the final. I'm rooting for Canada. But if King Henrick plays unconscious, Sweden will take it.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Canada looking very ordinary so far in 1st period. It'll take a game or two for a certain chemistry to set in. I think Carey can win them the early games though. He's stolen a few for the Habs this season!

Busy day at work so I didn't have a chance to watch any of the game. But my thoughts are two-fold:

1) don't be overconfident against a lesser opponent. Switzerland has given Canada fits in the recent past and they don't want to take anyone too lightly
    2) play smart and figure out how Babcock's system works (unfortunately most of Team Sweden and Russia already know his system, not enough Canadians do)

I haven't seen Kunitz' hit from behind. Hopefully he won't get tossed from the tournament for it.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Uh oh. First Datsyuk goes down and now Zetterberg has had to shut it down with that herniated disc in his back he had earlier in the season. Detroit could be in tough down the stretch without those two.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Uh oh. First Datsyuk goes down and now Zetterberg has had to shut it down with that herniated disc in his back he had earlier in the season. Detroit could be in tough down the stretch without those two.
    Yea, this is not good news for us. The Red Wings are in a world of hurt at the moment. Ijuries continue to take their toll.

Wild shootout win for USA! Exciting well played game by both teams a little bit of controversy on the no goal call on Tutin shot. With different shootout rules than the NHL it became the Oshie vs Kolvalchuk dual. Best game of Olympics so far.

Didn't know it was on, so I only caught the shoot-out. I might have to watch the re-broadcast of that one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Probably an ok time to wear this tonight

20140215_201751.jpg

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

^^^^
    He's practically a national hero right now! 4 for 6 in a shootout against the Russians in the Olympics...he deserves all the recognition he can get what a performance!

John Tavares went down in the quarter-final game against Latvia. Not sure if it was Weber slapshot to the ribs or a knee-on-knee collision as I forgot my phone at home today. D'oh.

OK, I found something that points to a collision in which Tavares ended up against the boards. But there is still no information about the nature or extent of the injury.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 02-19-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Found more info

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    TUUKKA

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    John Tavares went down in the quarter-final game against Latvia. Not sure if it was Weber slapshot to the ribs or a knee-on-knee collision as I forgot my phone at home today. D'oh.

OK, I found something that points to a collision in which Tavares ended up against the boards. But there is still no information about the nature or extent of the injury.
    As a long suffering Islanders fan, it doesn't get much worse than this. When they don't tell you anything except he's out of the Olympics, one gets that 'Here we go again' feeling.

Tavares is done for the season. OUCH!!!!

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Next Leafs game is on Thursday.

Hey hey hey, the trade deadline is on the horizon. That's were we get speculate endlessly on stuff that is in reality, unlikely to ever happen. A few injuries from the Olympics could alter some teams' plans re: buying and selling.

Speaking of which, I can replace three guys on my office pool team. I'm dropping John Tavares, Henrick Zetterberg and Brian Elliott and picking up Joe Pavelski, Taylor Hall and Ben Bishop in their places and coming in $1,000,000 lower to boot. I'm in first place by a single point and I have been trending down because of the lackluster play of some of the guys that had good starts like Bobby Ryan, Matt Moulson, Braden Holtby and Logan Couture. Hopefully Couture will be ready to go when the season resumes. The reason I am unloading Elliot is because the rumour is that STL is high on the list for getting Ryan Miller. That makes him expendable and even if they trade Halak, Elliot won't get into too many games the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Next Leafs game is on Thursday.
    B'Hawks at the Garden vs. NYR.

I think the intensity and excitement of NHL hockey will go up a notch as the ice shrinks in comparison to the Olympics size. Can't wait.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Heavy duty rumors about a trade coming too. Callahan may not be a Ranger for that Blackhawk game.

I just read that James van Riemsdyk may have a hand injury.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/...s-van-riemsdyk

Who's getting Vanek and McDonald? It's that time of year for the Islander salary dump. Not that there is much salary to start on this team .

I'm sure someone will go for Vanek but to be honest, I really don't think he's worth the money he's getting now, let alone what he thinks he's worth in his next contract. He'll get paid, because the cap is going up to around $70M next season, so someone will throw a bunch of money at him, but buyer beware.