Page 81 of 402 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    Yeah, I've been noticing that trend. Some of it is a result of teams in the west beating teams in the east, but a lot of it has to do with more teams gaining points out of the ether when they tie in regulation. I like the excitement of the 4 on 4 sudden death and the shootout but I hate the way it makes for a 3 point game. Don't know the solution though.
    The solution is simple: do away with points altogether. Play 4-on-4 overtime until there's a winner. Compile the standings based on wins and losses. You either win, or you lose. There's no reward or penalty for overtime.

There's no need to make it complicated. Make it like the playoffs, except for the 4-on-4.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We've argued the 3-point regulation win here for years.. You're preachin' to the choir, man! It's the only solution that makes sense! It would also create some exciting late-season games. A team getting hot down the stretch could cover a lot of ground in a hurryin a playoff race.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Scott, the NHLPA would not have it. Some teams play back-to-back games on successive nights. Habs in Wash today and at home to Pitts tomorrow. Asking them to play a game until 1:00AM tomorrow would make no sense whatsoever. This is why the current OT format was adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Scott, the NHLPA would not have it. Some teams play back-to-back games on successive nights. Habs in Wash today and at home to Pitts tomorrow. Asking them to play a game until 1:00AM tomorrow would make no sense whatsoever. This is why the current OT format was adopted.
    Exactly.

I like the 3pt idea, but wouldn't mind seeing 3 on 3. I think that would be pretty exciting.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I think going to 3 on 3 is getting dangerously close to the shootout (i.e,, it's dangerously removed from normal 5 on 5 hockey).

What's the current idea being floated by the GMs- 3 on 3 for the first 5 minutes then a shootout or 5 minutes of 4 on 4, 5 minutes of 3 on 3 and then the shootout?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Don't look now, but the Flyers are 5-0-1 in their last 6 games.
    And the Devils are coming together, too. Do they have the vest goaltending in the league?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...in-the-league/
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

5 on 5 for five minutes.

Use a goal half the size of the regular goal.

No goalie.

A "lane" area around the goal that would be illegal to stay in for more than 3 - 4 seconds.

Whoever scores the most wins the game.

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

If I'm commissioner, I would implement my previously-stated plan, but I would also do away with back-to-back games on successive nights. They're inherently unfair unless both teams are playing back-to-back.

Of course, I'd get rid of about 1/3 of the regular season, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    What's the current idea being floated by the GMs- ... 5 minutes of 4 on 4, 5 minutes of 3 on 3 and then the shootout?
    That's how my niece's hockey league works. LOL!

Also, no hair pulling or biting allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That's how my niece's hockey league works. LOL!

Also, no hair pulling or biting allowed.
    No, that's what we have football for:

jason-babin-andre-ellington-haircut.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    If I'm commissioner, I would implement my previously-stated plan, but I would also do away with back-to-back games on successive nights. They're inherently unfair unless both teams are playing back-to-back.

Of course, I'd get rid of about 1/3 of the regular season, too.
    You wouldn't be the commish for very long, throwing away $$$ like that! Also, scheduling is based on arena availability. Bell Center here is the busiest arena in North America I heard. The Habs are not the number one priority. For example, the Habs are always on a raod trip over Christmas and New Years because the Bell Center plays host to all sorts of concerts and events for kids, which pay them more than the Habs do.

I'd like to see 4 on 4 for the full 60 minutes. It'd open up the ice. Most teams play a system now that is clogging up the ice like the old trap used to. It makes for less exciting hockey. Last night's Habs game is a fine example. Habs jumped up to a 3-0 lead then kind of smothered the Caps. Washington scratched and clawed for 2 goals to make it close, but the Habs held them to only 3 shots in the 2nd period. Glad we got the win, but 4 on 4 hockey would open up the ice and games would end 5-4 or 6-5 instead of 3-2 and 2-1.

Going to take advantage of a triple bill on NHL network today, starting with the Canes / B's at 1 EST

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Habs had a perfect week! Wins over the Wild, the Caps, and the Pens! WooHoo! Now, time for a 4-game losing streak!

My brother got us tickets to see an exhibition game of the Canadian Women's Olympic hockey team vs. the US Women's Olympic team. It'll be me and my husband, my brother, and my two nieces (who both play hockey). It should be a fun night!

It's on Dec. 30th. Something to look forward to in the lull between Xmas and New Years.

Aaaaaaand the old Leafs are back.

An embarrassing 6 - 0 loss to Columbus. I can't believe that Reimer wasn't pulled. That was shittiest game of the season so far.

Flyers put up a bad one tonight, too. Can't seem to get over .500. They've been pretty impressive since they fired Laviolette, so we'll see how they react now, after their streak was broken.

Not sure if this is big news in the USA, but up here in HockeyWorld (like WaterWorld except our hair is always frozen, not wet), Rogers Communications signed a deal with the NHL for pretty much exclusive rights to all hockey content in Canada (cable and internet) for the next 12 years for $5.2B Canuckistan pesos. CBC has been marginalized to only having regular Saturday night broadcasts, but they have lost control over the content and even no longer have control over on-air personnel. Talk about a kick in the teeth.

Bettman probably had to change his underwear several times during the announcement he was so fucking pleased with himself.

I don't like when one company gets pretty much exclusivity - it's bad for the consumer. Currently, there are three English language broadcasters showing NHL on various nights. This will down to two (with the CBC only broadcasting on Saturdays).

I figure I will still see all the Habs games in French whether it's still RDS (French TSN) or some other channel Rogers might own. I think Rogers should get rid of Don Cherry from the CBC as their first order of business...

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Not sure if this is big news in the USA, but up here in HockeyWorld (like WaterWorld except our hair is always frozen, not wet), Rogers Communications signed a deal with the NHL for pretty much exclusive rights to all hockey content in Canada (cable and internet) for the next 12 years for $5.2B Canuckistan pesos. CBC has been marginalized to only having regular Saturday night broadcasts, but they have lost control over the content and even no longer have control over on-air personnel. Talk about a kick in the teeth.

Bettman probably had to change his underwear several times during the announcement he was so fucking pleased with himself.

I don't like when one company gets pretty much exclusivity - it's bad for the consumer. Currently, there are three English language broadcasters showing NHL on various nights. This will down to two (with the CBC only broadcasting on Saturdays).
    I fucking hate Rogers. You just know that they'll find a way to screw it all up. Can you see them blocking games from other cable providers? It's bad enough already that we have to pay $10/mth to watch the games on Leafs TV.

You are right about this being a kick in the teeth for CBC. They are already struggling to stay alive. This is going to hurt them bad, I think. All that advertising revenue gone.

I figure I will still see all the Habs games in French whether it's still RDS (French TSN) or some other channel Rogers might own. I think Rogers should get rid of Don Cherry from the CBC as their first order of business...
    I think it will all go to TVA en francais, Yves.

WRT Cherry, I doubt they will get rid of him. He still brings in the ratings and unless they can't stomach his salary (somewhere between $600,000 and $750,000) he's probably safe. I'm curious if Rogers will pick up the TSN broadcasters like Chris Cuthbert and Gord Miller who I think are both excellent.

So TVA is part of the Rogers family? They might be smart enough to pillage the entire RDS hockey broadcasting crew away from RDS. I watch English Canadian broadcasts (on occasion) and US broadcasts (more rarely) but nobody covers hockey better than RDS...

Here's an internal memo from Hubert T. Lacroix, President and CEO of CBC/Radio Canada to CBC staff...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...6561--nhl.html

I went to the RDS site to see how they will be affected and they have nothing on their site. So I went to TVA Sports site and the fans are truly divided over this. Apparently RDS will retain the majority of the Habs games but TVA Sports will be the "official French Language Channel Of The NHL"... I have both channels so whatever...If the announcers suck, I'll put on some tunes while watching the games.

So TVA is part of the Rogers family? They might be smart enough to pillage the entire RDS hockey broadcasting crew away from RDS. I watch English Canadian broadcasts (on occasion) and US broadcasts (more rarely) but nobody covers hockey better than RDS...
    I think it's part of the Peladeau media empire (Videotron?). I think it's a side deal between Rogers and TVA because Rogers doesn't have a strong French-language stable of holdings. It's the same with the CBC - both these side deals will help defray the cost of the overall deal. But Rogers is keeping total control over the content. That's the tough part for the CBC. Not so much for TVA. Not sure where RDS fits in here, because in the case of TSN, they are shut out of any NHL broadcasts. They will continue to have their experts and panels, just no games.

Does this mean more or less media bias towards the Leafs?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***