Page 73 of 403 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

So, Laviolette might actually be available when the Canes fire Muller.

But, he'll probably have a job by then. So Rutherford will call Paul Maurice.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Three games in? When did George Steinbrenner buy the Flyers?

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Three games in? When did George Steinbrenner buy the Flyers?
    Zing!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Here's an idea, NHL: Just 86 the half-assed "skills competition" display currently used to decide tied games and decide it on the ice. If it's tied after OT, it's tied. Oh, and by the way, how about NO points when you lose? What is this, NASCAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    So, Laviolette might actually be available when the Canes fire Muller.

But, he'll probably have a job by then. So Rutherford will call Paul Maurice.
    Is Muller on the hot seat?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Here's an idea, NHL: Just 86 the half-assed "skills competition" display currently used to decide tied games and decide it on the ice. If it's tied after OT, it's tied. Oh, and by the way, how about NO points when you lose? What is this, NASCAR?
    I've got a better idea - just play until someone scores, like in the playoffs.

Ties suck. Soccer has ties, which is all you need to know.

And yes, no points for a loss.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

NHLPA not thrilled about playing 3 to 4 hour long games in the regular season, esp. when teams have to travel and play the next night. I say they should just play the 5-minute OT, but 3 on 3. Open up the ice and give us 5-minutes of furious action. If it's still tied, so be it.

You don't see this everyday !!

How slowly do you think the Kings goalie was seeing that puck as it made its way into the empty net?

That's gotta be the worst feeling ever.

Not for me! I wish that GIF had a few seconds more to see fan reactions. It was a giant collective headslap

I couldn't believe that went in. Rangers looked real good last night.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Not for me! I wish that GIF had a few seconds more to see fan reactions. It was a giant collective headslap

I couldn't believe that went in. Rangers looked real good last night.
    Full replay here includes Coach Sutter's reaction - "What happened?" And of course the obligatory fans jeer at a long lob in save by Quick.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...454030&lang=en
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Flyers, in the 1st period, have already scored more goals than they have in any other game.

I guess Laviolette was the problem.

Stupid question, but what was the reasoning between suppressing the old divisions and creating these bigger ones??

I mean, it's a terrible idea to see Tampa and Florida in the same geographical division as Boston and Toronto, when you've got all of the "metropolitan division" in between these North-South-extremes

Ditto for the Oilers and Flames (but not the Avalanche) having to fly over the rockies for the rest of their division games...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hughes,

Not an easy answer but here goes:

1) having Detroit and Columbus in the West and Winnipeg in the East didn't make any sense, so that was the first concern. Minimizing travel is always a biggie for both the League and the Players.
    2) retaining some semblance of the old rivalries (e.g., having Montreal/Boston, Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto Calgary/Edmonton in the same division)
    3) I totally agree that Tampa Bay and Florida (Sunrise) are the odd ones in that they are not geographically close to anyone else. I guess Carolina is the closest.

There may have been an element of appeasement to the Florida teams to give them more games against some of the most historical teams like Toronto, Montreal and Boston. Remember, a lot of Canadians and New Englanders go south to Florida for the winter months.

I'm sure others have more ideas of the logic used to arrive at this configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    There may have been an element of appeasement to the Florida teams to give them more games against some of the most historical teams like Toronto, Montreal and Boston. Remember, a lot of Canadians and New Englanders go south to Florida for the winter months.

I'm sure others have more ideas of the logic used to arrive at this configuration.
    That doesmake sense in a way...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What I was trying to say is that most of the people who attend hockey in "non-traditional" markets are not native to those locations. Rather, it's transplanted northerners who go to the games in places like Phoenix and Florida. By the same token, if they had a professional cricket team in Toronto, I believe that most of the fans would be new Canadians.

9-2?????????????????????????????????????????????
    Well, after we scored on the 2 man p.p. early & then gave up a quick s.h.'er after, I had a feeling all was not going to be right. BUT, NINE - TWO????

Ouch...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

4 zip already???????????????????????????????????????????

edit - 5 nil 1/2way through game. At least they're consistent.
    edit2 - wow, 6 nothing end of 2. I did not know we are this bad. Gonna be a loooong season.
    Last edited by Obscured; 10-10-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Rangers started the season with a West Coast trip? Didn't they start the season 2 years ago(?) with a tour of Europe? Somebody in the schedule making committee must truly hate them.

Habs looking pretty much as I expected: lose 1, win 1, etc...

I think the renovations to MSG are still being completed. The Rangers don't have their home opener until the end of October.

Brutal! They may be in a deep hole by then the way they're giving up goals of late!

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I think the renovations to MSG are still being completed. The Rangers don't have their home opener until the end of October.
    Wow. That's a loooooooong road trip.

The Leafs are playing well and at the top of the standings. Somebody pinch me!

I was upset when they traded Scrivens for Bernier, but after last night's shutout by Bernier, maybe it was a good move after all. Still a bit early to say for sure.

Usual early season Leafs charge. They'll level off in a few weeks. They are lucky to be playing so often while they are playing well. The points you bank now are the ones you're not running after come April.