Page 72 of 403 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

I played on skates a bit when I was younger, but access to rinks was such a hassle so I took up roller hockey. Basically the same game other than starting/stopping. Played in a couple leagues, nothing hardcore, but fun as hell. I still play some, but my 42 year old lawn guy body is slowly falling apart. I can barely wash my hair or tie my shoes anymore without pulling a muscle :cry
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Unfortunely, my nephew, Ben Eager was a heathy scratch for the Oiler's opener and was put on waivers and is now going to their farm team. You can imagine his disappointment. He had just bought his Mom (my sister) a new car. There is a pretty good chance he'll be back.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

If he wouldn't take so many bad, untimely penalties, your nephew would be a welcome 4th liner on any team. Plays the game real hard.

Your probably right. He was in great condition too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I played outdoors as a kid, but never played organized hockey indoors until I entered university. Played house-league there and after graduation, played in a variety of city/recreational leagues. I remember one time a couple of guys from a high-end French team came out. We were like pylons to them. They were playing the game in a completely different dimension than us.

Had to give it up when I could no longer keep contact lenses in my misshapen eyes. That was about 20 years ago.

My brother-in-law in Markham, ON (just north-east of Toronto) is a very calibre goalie - aged 62. He plays with some former Leafs (and their current radio announcer, Joe Bowen - the "holy mackinaw" guy). He says the former Leafs shoot the puck so much harder and quicker than the younger, fitter guys, it's incredible.

The Sens' season finally starts tonight in Buffalo. After the way they got spanked by the Isles at the end of the preseason, I think they have some work ahead before they start winning consistently. All eyes are on the guys who were injured last year - Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, Cowen and Anderson. Spezza has not been healthy so far this year. He has had a bad groin. The jury is still out on whether Karlsson has lost a step or two. It would be a shame, as he was playing unbelievably well when that bastard Matt Cooke sliced his Achilles. Anderson has not been particularly sharp so far. Cowen missed a lot of training camp because of his hold-out. And Michalek opted for a non-surgical remedy for his wonky knee. So far he's been good, but will it last?

Nonetheless, all is right in the world. My least favourite hockey guy - Torts - got spanked last night by the Sharks. We'll see how long it takes before the Canucks start dropping like flies as they buy into his shot blocking obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...and we start 0-1

Definitely a new look for the Rangers. I love the open style of play. Much more fun to watch, but it's going to take a little time for these guys to adjust to the new game plan I think. A clear issue for us is in front of Hank. We have excellent D, but not one of them can move bodies in the crease. Concerns me.

What I want to know is, where are the goals going to come from? Rick Nash has been sleepwalking since the playoffs, Richards needs to retire, Kreider's back in the minors, Stepan just played his first game since last season, and I don't think Callahan or Hagelin are going to be 30 goal scorers. At least the defensemen should stay healthier since they are allowed to stay on their skates in the defensive zone this year.

I actually thought Richards played a pretty good game last night. I'm really hoping he can turn it around, but I think it would have been best if he was bought out. Our hair is brushing against that cap ceiling. Nash is trying to do too much I think, but good on him for dropping the mitts last night to defend Stepan. I'm not worried about him.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    My brother-in-law in Markham, ON (just north-east of Toronto).
    I'm in Markham too! Where abouts does he live?

The Sens' season finally starts tonight in Buffalo.
    Watching the Sens this year is not going to be the same without Alfredsson. But I'm sure I'll get over it...eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Watching the Sens this year is not going to be the same without Alfredsson. But I'm sure I'll get over it...eventually.
    You'll just have to get on him when the Red Wings come to town!

I agree that the Battle of Ontario won't be the same without all the Crusty the Clown comments. But based on the animosity in the first round of the Habs/Sens series last year, there is the potential for some nastiness in the season series. And believe me, when the Habs come to town, there are just as many fans cheering for them as the home team. Sigh, that's the price you pay for taking a 66 year hiatus.

Esther, if you don't mind, I will PM you more info on my family in Markham.

Great start for the Yotes. Looking forward to this season with the ownership issues out of the was and a full season ahead of us. Great to see Vrbata getting an early start this season after a somewhat disappointing season last year with injuries and the loss of his main setup man Whittney.

Sure. You don't have to answer the question at all if you don't want to. I'm just curious. It's always kinda fun when you hear about someone on-line who lives in your back yard.

I have to miss tonight's home opener. My husband's family picked tonight for an early Thanksgiving dinner since his sister will out of town next weekend.

Flyers are off to a hot start.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jaroslav Halak became the all-time Blues leader in shutouts with 17 (surpassing Glenn Hall).

The Sens wilted in the second half of last night's game against the Leafs. Don't read too much into Toronto's recent domination of Ottawa - the brainiacs who draw up the schedule have scheduled the last 6 meetings on nights after which the Senators have played the previous night and the Leafs have not.

Would someone please hose down Lars Eller? He is killing me in the office pool!

He'll get hurt soon enough...don't sweat it

You'll just have to get on him when the Red Wings come to town!

I agree that the Battle of Ontario won't be the same without all the Crusty the Clown comments. But based on the animosity in the first round of the Habs/Sens series last year, there is the potential for some nastiness in the season series. And believe me, when the Habs come to town, there are just as many fans cheering for them as the home team. Sigh, that's the price you pay for taking a 66 year hiatus.

It's the same with the Leafs in Ottawa! No sigh from me.

Flyers are now 0-3 and have absolutely no idea how to put the puck in the net.

Peter Laviolette, as much as I like him, will be the first coach to be fired this season - despite the fact that the GM, Paul Holmgren, is a complete failure.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Peter Laviolette, as much as I like him, will be the first coach to be fired this season - despite the fact that the GM, Paul Holmgren, is a complete failure.
    Flyers have called a press conference for 11:00 this morning. Reports are that Laviolette has been fired and replaced by bench coach Craig Berube.

I'm bummed.

Seriously? Already?

Seriously.

So, Holmgren is still GM, and they go to another guy already in the organization for coach.

This team will never, ever learn.

Sorry man, but the Flyers organization is a complete horrorshow. Laviolette is another guy I'm not crazy about (going back to his Carolina days), but he deserved a little more time than this! OTOH, Holmgren's moves have been really brutal (Carter, Richards, van Riemsdyk, Bryzgalov, etc.).

Is it just me or weren't Holmgren and Berube lunkheads when they played? Maybe they should try bringing someone in who didn't spend all their careers in the penalty box?

Dude, get outta my head!

When is Dave Schultz expected?

Seriously though, as a fan this has to be frustrating as hell. From what I can see, the Flyers line-up is fairly solid.