Page 54 of 404 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 10077

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Speaking of horrible calls - the Pens got some very favourable missed calls on Sunday night
    They always do.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Because they are GOOD, Scott, unlike the EVIL Flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    What a goal by Nyquist, eh? Then, right after, you guys picked up the second goal and the crowd erupted. It was loud even on television. Fortunately, you guys are building a new arena. As far as the worst building goes, at least you guys aren't watching the game at Nassau on Long Island. That place is one of the worst, and the Islanders can't wait to get out of there.
    Yes, I believe there are tentative plans on the board for a new arena, although I am not sure that it is totally a done deal. At this point they have not even figured out a location, so assuming it eventually happens it will still be a while.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    too early to call...in hockey, more than other sport, the 2:1 lead in series means nothing...as Phill Jackson once said when Bulls lost and were 3:2 down on games...after playing 5 games someone has to be down...
    Yup, I know it could still go either way. The Red Wings really need to win on Thursday.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I agree that arena in Tampa is beautiful probably one of the nicest I've ever been to also the Panthers arena in Sunrise is pretty nice as well. What surprised me the most in Tampa was how into it their fans were for a warm climate city really great atmosphere for hockey.
    As was mentioned the Nassau coliseum is the worst a complete dump and I don't blame the Islanders for leaving. The local government jerked the owner Charles Wang around for years and he even wanted to spend his own money but they denied all of his proposed projects for various reasons. That situation In Detroit doesn't seem right either if there is an organization that deserves a decent arena based on success I would say the Red Wings would top that list.
    I have a friend who lives in Lakeland and he says that the Lightning have become the biggest thing in Tampa. They certainly draw a lot better than the Rays. I think it also helps in the winter that there are so many snowbirds from the north who live there. When my parents used to winter in Florida my dad became a Lightnings fan and used to go to some of the games. It is really a cool atmoshere in there now since the renovation. The big organ up on the deck, the tesla coils in the ceiling, an incredible sound system, a huge scoreboard.....as I said before it makes Joe Louis look like an old relic. Hell, our local minor league ECHL team has a nicer scoreboard than the Red Wings.

Steve Sly

Rangers inability to keep the Bruins 4th line off the scoreboard is one of many reasons they're on the brink of elimination. Just don't know what to say.
    It ain't over till the fat lady says it over I guess.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Darren Pang absolutely ripped the Rangers (well, Tortorella really) because of their style of play. He basically said that collapsing around your goalie and blocking shots is not a recipe for success. I'm afraid that as well as Lundquist played tonight, this series is over. The Rangers can't beat the Bruins with these players playing with this strategy. I have to give Boston a lot of credit beating the Rangers with three rookies on defence. I thought they could be had.

Darren Pang absolutely ripped the Rangers (well, Tortorella really) because of their style of play. He basically said that collapsing around your goalie and blocking shots is not a recipe for success. I'm afraid that as well as Lundquist played tonight, this series is over. The Rangers can't beat the Bruins with these players playing with this strategy. I have to give Boston a lot of credit beating the Rangers with three rookies on defence. I thought they could be had.
    I am afraid the defence was not an issue in the last game...they had halluva time to get to the scoring positions...Rangers kicked out Gaborik for Nash and they end up with the same crap...it is not players but the style they play...

I am afraid the defence was not an issue in the last game...they had halluva time to get to the scoring positions...Rangers kicked out Gaborik for Nash and they end up with the same crap...it is not players but the style they play...
    I think we're in violent agreement :-)

I think we're in violent agreement :-)
    ...sure on one issue... I was referring more to Pang's comments regarding their defensive style of the play..nothng wrong with that...

For a team that was in dire need for a win that was a very uninspiring performance last night. They looked tired and flat and the power play was crap again. Thinking back to that Islander/Penguin series and watching how hard the Islanders fought right to the end I didn't see any of that fight in the Rangers last night.
    As far their style of play I'm not sure what the answer is but I agree it's not working and Tortorella needs to make some serious changes. If he doesn't than they need to get some fresh blood in there running this team cause with the talent they have they should be getting better results.

Because they are GOOD, Scott, unlike the EVIL Flyers.
    No, because the NHL and media have anointed Cindy as the second coming.

Nothing evil about the Flyers these days - unless sucking is evil.

I admired the Penguins' talent until their series with the Flyers last year. After that, I have less than zero respect for them. Dirtiest and whiniest team I've seen in years.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

...sure on one issue... I was referring more to Pang's comments regarding their defensive style of the play..nothng wrong with that...
    OK, in that case, I disagree.

What Pang was saying was that the defensive shell they play precludes them from making good breakouts which precludes them from generating good entries into the offensive zone which precludes them from scoring. At least that's the way I interpreted his comments and with that, I agree. And in terms of players - how much are Richards and Nash contributing to the offence? Not a whole heck of a lot. This is the time of year when your best players have to be your best players. That's just not the case with the Rangers.

I think Torts is coaching in his final season. Rangers are underachievers. Bruins gonna sweep them. In fact, Boston is looking more and more like the team that took it all a few years back. I think they might make it to the finals against...wait for it... DETROIT! Original 6 BABY!

Sorry I hadn't posted in a while but I was on vacation. Visited Toronto and was amongst the crowd outside the ACC for Game 7 of the Leafs-Bruins. It was a great time...untile the 3rd period!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I admired the Penguins' talent until their series with the Flyers last year. After that, I have less than zero respect for them. Dirtiest and whiniest team I've seen in years.
    Yankees (or Miami Heat) of the hockey...they picked up the best of the older players for the opportunity to get it all...I hope they lose!

Yankees (or Miami Heat) of the hockey...they picked up the best of the older players for the opportunity to get it all...I hope they lose!
    Except neither of those teams are as dirty or whiny as the Penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Boston is looking more and more like the team that took it all a few years back. I think they might make it to the finals against...wait for it... DETROIT! Original 6 BABY!
    Have ya seen the Penguins?? Say all ye wants about the kid, lord knows I have too but Cindy & Co. are the team to beat.
    Up 7 - 2 in tonight's game.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Ugh! That was an unduly harsh serving of reality delivered by Pittsburgh last night. The Pens finally woke up and dominated the Sens in every way. The only negative for the Pens was that Kunitz went down in the second period and was done for the night.

The big controversy here this morning is last night, when asked if it was feasible for Ottawa to win the next three in a row, Daniel Alfredsson responded "probably not". Maybe he won't be mayor here after all.

Vancouvers axes its coach. As much as I do not care for the team, AV was a classy guy. It's a shame he got canned, to me the GM is the one who should be fired.

The big controversy here this morning is last night, when asked if it was feasible for Ottawa to win the next three in a row, Daniel Alfredsson responded "probably not". Maybe he won't be mayor here after all.
    Eeek! I mean, it's true and it might be okay to think it to yourself, but for the Captain to use his out-loud voice to say it... At least he qualified it with "probably" and didn't say an outright "no".

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Have ya seen the Penguins?? Say all ye wants about the kid, lord knows I have too but Cindy & Co. are the team to beat.
    Up 7 - 2 in tonight's game.
    Yesterday's game certainly was impressive. I do think Boston has a team that can respond to the Pens better than the Sens though. Should make for an interesting series!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Yesterday's game certainly was impressive. I do think Boston has a team that can respond to the Pens better than the Sens though. Should make for an interesting series!
    Hold your horses... Rangers are not dead yet...

I'd like to believe they won't go out in 4 straight, but I'm seeing little to no offensive thrust from them, despite the high-profile off-season acquisitions. Where's the PP??

Bruins ain't exactly filling the net either but theiy're getting what they need when they need it. Look, it pains me to say anything good about the Bs, being a Hab fan and all, but they're built for the playoffs and it's starting to show. I'd love nothing more than for the Blue Shirts to turn it around though!

I'm of the opinion that the team that survives the Hawks-Wings series will be hoisting Lord Stanley. The Pens have all sorts of firepower but they play a different brand of hockey in the West...

...and I hate Crosby!

Brad Richards will not suit up for the Rangers tonight. Add his name to the ever growing Contract Buyout Amnesty List that is forming behind Sergei Bryzgalov.

Brad Richards will not suit up for the Rangers tonight. Add his name to the ever growing Contract Buyout Amnesty List that is forming behind Sergei Bryzgalov.
    unfortunately he has been useless in NYR system (just like Gaborik and Nash)...he is still a great player though...