Page 45 of 402 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Oh my, forget the "Battle of Ontario". What we have brewing here is potentially gargantuan. I gave Michel Therrien a lot of credit for getting so much out of his team during the regular season, but the playoffs are a different beast. Neither team is particularly physical (not like the Leafs or the Bruins) but Ottawa clearly has a size and toughness edge over Montreal. So Montreal (and Ottawa to a lesser extent) resorted to playing a chippy game tonight and the refs weren't standing for any of it. There was a brawl that saw 8 players (4 a side) get game misconducts. Ottawa played most of the game with only 5 defencemen as Wiercioch went down in the first period. That's the second of three games that they've been short-handed on defence and still won.

Paul MacLean called a timeout with 17 seconds left with Ottawa on the power play. Do you think he was yanking Therrien's chain just a little? I guess it was payback for Therrien calling him disrespectful after Game 1. In tonight's press conference, he called MacLean "classless". Paul Maurice cracked me up - he said "These two coaches hate each other so much right now, they can't even stand each other's tie."

Eric Gryba will be back for Game 4 after sitting out his two game suspension. Do you think they'll be trying to separate his head from his body?

Lastly, nice work by J.G. Pageau, showing a real good nose for the net and a good, quick release. The fans were singing the "Olé-Olé" song but sang "Pageau-Pageau".

maclean was deinately just trying to get more into therians head. habs coach has been way to emotional since his player got hit. you can't do that in the playoffs hes costing his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    maclean was deinately just trying to get more into therians head. habs coach has been way to emotional since his player got hit. you can't do that in the playoffs hes costing his team.
    Really? He seems so much more calm than in his first tour of duty behind the Habs and Pens benches. His face always used to be that bright red that said "blown head gasket" all over.

Big pressure on the Rangers tonight a must win game. Hope the offense shows up!

I LOVED what McClean did with that timeout. Habs were taking cheapshots all 3rd period long. And on top of that all the whiny bullshit coming from the Habs players the game before. That game was great...Ottawa just flat out embarrassed Montreal in every possible way.

Meanwhile, Caps are totally dominating yet again. Still early, but not lookin good.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Caps scored first at 4 minutes.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Rangers tied it up.

Rangers up 2-1.

Did the Caps shit that up or what.

Redwings pulled off a nail biter tonight. Jimmy Howard in goal was the hero in the first two periods as the game could have easily gotten out of hand at several points early, but they finally pulled it together.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I LOVED what McClean did with that timeout. Habs were taking cheapshots all 3rd period long. And on top of that all the whiny bullshit coming from the Habs players the game before. That game was great...Ottawa just flat out embarrassed Montreal in every possible way.
    So basically he just lowered himself to their level.

IF...and it's a big IF... the Habs claw their way back into the series, to a man they will point to that timeout as the turning point. We'll see tonight. I think the Habs have overreached this year. Ottawa should not have been a 7th rank team and the Habs should not have been a 2nd rank team. Sens are showing some playoff experience and the Habs are showing how green they are. At the end of it all I will be satisfied with Montreal's season. When I look at all the young talent on this team I can only believe that this will be the first year in a string of playoff appearances.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Fluery looking a little soft tonight but you have to give the Islanders credit their playing a heck of a series. And they seem to be getting better as series progresses. Looks like the Pens could be in trouble.

Freakin' Ottawa just tied the game with only 25 seconds left. They're going into overtime.

GO SENS! (Sorry Yves)

Absolutely! Isles look real impressive.

Meanwhile...what a game in Ottawa! Tied it up with like 20 secs left. Man I love this time of year...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The momentum is with Ottawa but, still, Go HABS!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Spoke too soon. Ottawa wins.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Vancouver-SJ. OT about to start. Cool.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

SJ moving on. Love the handshakes.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Who would've thought this scenario was going to happen at the start of the season... Scott Gomez (and the Sharks) goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs while the Habs are about to head to the golf course!

The Habs thoroughly outplayed Ottawa last night, but couldn't put them away. I'm not sure that Zibanejad's goal was a good one, but the War Room and the refs did. Nonetheless, the Habs are built to win the regular season, but aside from Brandon Prust, they don't enough grit to win in the playoffs (they need big upgrades on guys like O'Byrne, White, Moen and Armstrong). And really, Anderson has outplayed Price in the series. (This does not bode well for Canada in Sochi). Give Marc Bergevin a chance to absorb it all after the series ends (I don't mean to count out the Habs chances of coming back, but ...) and he will see what more needs to be done to elevate the team. There's a good nucleus of talented players, but they are the smallest team in the playoffs and sadly, it's a big man's game now. If you remember, a few years ago, Ottawa won the President's Cup and fizzled out in the playoffs. Same for Vancouver more recently.

ottawa should have been avoided like the plage. they would have won that division if they didn't have the serious injuries.

Stan, I agree with every point you made in the post above ( though O'Byrne is not a Hab anymore. Halpern perhaps?). Habs have got a lot of pieces in places but a few are missing still.

I'll place the blame for last night squarely on Therrien's shoulders. He shouldn't have shortened the bench so soon in the 3rd. Galchenyuk was one of the best forecheckers all night yet he missed a few shifts in a row. The strategy to dump the puck along the boards and down the ice constantly for an entire period does not work. Sens caught a lucky break on a controversial goal, then caught the Habs looking like the Keystone Cops in their own end with 23 seconds left to play. Add to that having to go to a cold goalie for the OT period, and the writing was on the wall. Habs may take game 5 but will ultimately get bounced.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Vezina finalists:

Niemi, Lundqvist, and Bobrovsky.

Way to go, Holmgren!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry, O'Byrne is a Leaf now. Brain fart. I guess I was trying to say that they need to upgrade their toughness on defence as well as up front. Perhaps replacing guys like Diaz and Boullion. Losing Emelin certainly has hurt.

The eons are closing
    Checking in...
    Was at Isles-Pens game 3. Fantastic atmosphere, classic Cindy uncalled embellishment in OT, ends with shitty result

Game 4: Another top flight game though its obvious that Bettman has taken a page from his mentor David Stern and ordered the refs to assist the Pens anyway they can. Thankfully Fleury has been worse than Nabokov so the NHL's game rigging attempts are failing.