Page 255 of 402 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305355 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Heah no.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    uhhh...no! Fuck the "casual fan"! That glow puck was retarded!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    uhhh...no! Fuck the "casual fan"! That glow puck was retarded!
    I don't know if I'm a casual fan - I watched almost every playoff game last season - and a few regular season games but....I can't see the bloody puck!! I just can't. I mean , sometimes I can, most of the time its just too fast for me. I know I try to "anticipate" where its going, but the game is a turn-off to me sometimes because of this. So, yeah maybe I am a casual fan (I am a 'Leafs fan for life), but I would be interested in some newer tech to help me enjoy the game more. Hockey is still an amazing sport - for me its the 2nd best sport in the world
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I remember my immigrant Italian dad watching American football, and totally not seeing anything lol. "You guys are nuts for this game, but to me it looks like a bunch of guys jumping in a pile on top of each other!" Sounds ridiculous...but to the point, there's nothing wrong with the eye sight of the casual fan...it has everything with understanding the natural flow of any game. When we watch hockey and see a guy slap it around the boards, we don't try to follow the puck, we know where it's going and anticipate it. We can tell by the angle of a guy's stick when he's shooting, whether that puck will go high or low.
    Like baseball.... it's second nature to the fan, but think about how much of it you actually see on tv. Yet, you can tell a hame run swing by the sound, the body...you don't have to follow the laser, you can tell if he pulled it, went the other way...you know it's gone, and you wait for slow motion replay to see how close it came to the foul pole and how many rows back.

Exactly, Lino. It's understanding the flow.

That glow thing was ridiculous It was like watching an Atari game...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Exactly, Lino. It's understanding the flow.

Ha - yeah I remember it! The glow was OK, the trailer was a bit ridiculous, but with 2017 technology I think they could do something less "gaudy" and intrusive. There must be some nice middle ground, no? It does help to see that tiny fuckin' thing though!

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    I remember my immigrant Italian dad watching American football, and totally not seeing anything lol. "You guys are nuts for this game, but to me it looks like a bunch of guys jumping in a pile on top of each other!" Sounds ridiculous...but to the point, there's nothing wrong with the eye sight of the casual fan...it has everything with understanding the natural flow of any game. When we watch hockey and see a guy slap it around the boards, we don't try to follow the puck, we know where it's going and anticipate it. We can tell by the angle of a guy's stick when he's shooting, whether that puck will go high or low.
    Like baseball.... it's second nature to the fan, but think about how much of it you actually see on tv. Yet, you can tell a hame run swing by the sound, the body...you don't have to follow the laser, you can tell if he pulled it, went the other way...you know it's gone, and you wait for slow motion replay to see how close it came to the foul pole and how many rows back.
    As a huge football fan (European! not the NFL), I'm so used to seeing the soccer ball which is much slower in velocity and about 70 times bigger, so when you switch over to Hockey its a real shocker! I totally get the anticipation thing, but there is no way I could tell by the stick angle....no way, not me at least.

The glowing puck will never be universally endorsed anyway. Only Fox used it at the time. You'd be insulting Canadian fans if you used it on a broadcast up here.

in other news...Habs win! However, they used up 5 games worth of goals in one night, so expect them to lose by shutout over the next 4 games....

Can't say I'm a fan of the glowing puck (too obtrusive), but the ball flight technology they use on PGA golf broadcasts is really good.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Sens give away a point in the last 2 minutes last night to the Kings on a fumble by the backup goalie Condon.

This Kempe kid on LA is really good.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    As a huge football fan (European! not the NFL), I'm so used to seeing the soccer ball which is much slower in velocity and about 70 times bigger, so when you switch over to Hockey its a real shocker! I totally get the anticipation thing, but there is no way I could tell by the stick angle....no way, not me at least.
    The stick angle thing was just one example. Fans of a sport understand the body language of that sport. Just like when you see a slider low and away...you automatically know that the hitter isn't jerk pulling it down the line. And you can tell most of the time just by the swing, where that ball is gonna travel. Without sound on the tv, you still know when a guy has popped/fouled it somewhere around the plate...everybody is running, the catcher throws his mask off...we still really haven't seen the ball...but we know where it is. My older brother can watch golf on tv and know the second the guy swings that he pulled it or sliced it, or shanked it or whatever. This is going back to 1970s before technology lol. Well he's played 10 gazillion rounds of golf in his life, there isn't a swing he hasn't seen! lol I have to wait for announcer to tell me, and the cameras to show me just how the shot went awry. Most Canadians our age have thousands of hours of playing ball hockey and tv watching of hockey. It's second nature to most of us...so maybe we're even incapable of understanding how anybody CANT follow the puck lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ha - yeah I remember it! The glow was OK, the trailer was a bit ridiculous, but with 2017 technology I think they could do something less "gaudy" and intrusive. There must be some nice middle ground, no? It does help to see that tiny fuckin' thing though!
    Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Can't say I'm a fan of the glowing puck (too obtrusive), but the ball flight technology they use on PGA golf broadcasts is really good.
    Right. The article isn't calling for the same exact technology that no one liked. Surely the technology has advanced in such a way that it could enhance instead of detracting from the broadcast?

I'm ambivalent, but I thought it was interesting, given how it's been used in other forms.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Fans of a sport understand the body language of that sport.
    Exactly. I remember watching my first professional lacrosse game in the late 90's and having no idea where the ball was at any given time. It's always hidden in someone's stick. Today, I can figure out where the ball is without even seeing it being passed. It's become natural to read the movements of the guy carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk
    Thanks for posting that video. I forgot how cartoonish the puck looked.

What's next? Adding cartoon bubbles to fights?

Pow.jpg

I just got an invite from a friend to tonight's Leaf's game against the Hurricanes. WOOOOHOOOOOO!

Enjoy! You got a team worth going to see in person!

in other news...Habs win! However, they used up 5 games worth of goals in one night, so expect them to lose by shutout over the next 4 games....
    That's one! 3 more to go!

Flyers lost a point last night on an awful non-reversal that held up under review, despite rules saying that a goal should have been allowed.

Same old, same old....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I just got an invite from a friend to tonight's Leaf's game against the Hurricanes. WOOOOHOOOOOO!
    You are now banned from the ACC for the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Flyers lost a point last night on an awful non-reversal that held up under review, despite rules saying that a goal should have been allowed.

Same old, same old....
    You talkin' about that interference call? If that's the play it's called all the time. Guy was in the blue and bumped Elliot.

And the Rangers get a win! Against winless Coyotes! Let the win train begin!!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You talkin' about that interference call? If that's the play it's called all the time. Guy was in the blue and bumped Elliot.
    No, though that was questionable, too. They scored at the very end of the game, but they ruled that it wasn't a goal.

Stamkos is back. You have been warned. Beware of the Bolts.

You are now banned from the ACC for the remainder of the season.
    Yeah, not their best game but the seats were fucking awesome! We were in the 2nd row in the corner. Best seats I've ever had and am ever likely to have.

Here's a little picture I've named Leaf bums.

IMG_2786.jpg

And my buddies James van Riemsdyk and Morgan Rielly.

IMG_2785.jpg

Wow those are nice seats! My seats are the same view but right above the glass. I prefer this angle than center ice and side angles as I love to watch plays develop.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    And my buddies James van Riemsdyk and Morgan Rielly.

IMG_2785.jpg
    Hockey............

...............becomes

.......an entirely different animal from this perspective!
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.