Page 24 of 402 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Watching DiPietro lose to Ottawa last night reminded me of all the truly shitty goalies Ottawa has had over the years and how nice it is now that they actually two or three guys who DON'T SUCK!.
    I didn't get to see the game. How bad wasDiPietro? When your own coach won't comment about you after the game, that can't be good. I'm sure it's in his contract, but he really should go to the minors and play full time to see if he can recapture his skills. Isles fan since 75, and with the move to Brooklyn, Wang isn't going to spend a dime. Hopefully he sells to the Russian billionaire and he revives the franchise

The eons are closing
    I watch at least an hour of ESPN daily and everything in that article is true. MMA, NASCAR and European football get as much or more coverage than the NHL on ESPN TV. And I agree that the ridiculous amount of NFL coverage on ESPN is sickening; but further drives home the point that the NHL is a 33rd class citizen on the network.

But what Bails said is true as well though....The 2004 debacle cost ESPN serious cash both in dollars paid and ad dollars lost.
    But now the network is acting like a petulant teenage girl who is still holding a grudge because she didn't get a cabbage patch doll for her 5th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    But now that the Outdoor Network has become NBC Sports (after having been Vs.), it has worked out. Not saying he saw that coming, but the NHL works well on NBC Sports.

And, honestly, how much do any of you guys watch ESPN anymore? I barely even watched MNF this past season. And Sportscenter? No thanks. I don't need an hour of basketball highlights and inane football speculation.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    DiPietro was average for two periods and then in the 3rd; he reverted to his poor man's Brodeur-wannabe style of needing to touch the puck every time it goes behind the end line. He will never get his skillz back (if they were that good to begin with) because his body is broken. He could kill it in Bridgeport but will never be a starting NHL goalie again.

Wang is willing to spend money (No one has lost more money than Wang as an owner) but not without new revenue streams. Brooklyn helps that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I didn't get to see the game. How bad wasDiPietro? When your own coach won't comment about you after the game, that can't be good. I'm sure it's in his contract, but he really should go to the minors and play full time to see if he can recapture his skills. Isles fan since 75, and with the move to Brooklyn, Wang isn't going to spend a dime. Hopefully he sells to the Russian billionaire and he revives the franchise

The eons are closing
    No Hansen / Hossa talk? Was it deliberate? (IMO it was). While I understand Hansen is not a serial offender (a la Raffi Torres); it was not a "hockey play" and I think one game is too light.

I kind of though he would get more than 1 game also. THere was a slew foot in a Calgary game recently that Milbury and Jones talked about. It wasn't even looked at by the league and this really gets me angry. It's probably the most dangerous thing you can due to a player in terms of serious head injury because when you take a players legs out like that he's completely vulnerable. No way to brace yourself from the ice. It's no different than what Hansen did to Hossa other than the fact that the players head luckily didn't hit the ice.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    Once the league let on that it was a phone hearing; the max games you can get with a phone hearing is 5. I thought it might get 3; down to 2 with appeal. Essentially, Shanahan is saying "rabbit punches": no big deal.

I thought the 1-game was a joke. Why even bother?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I don't know who these people are on the ice impersonating the Leafs, but I like them!

(Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, but I think the Leafs may have been attacked by body snatchers!)

The eons are closing
    Yes!!

Hey Klonk, welcome to Uglyville. They put a stat up on the screen at one point that 13 or 14 of the guys in Ottawa uniforms tonight were on the Calder Cup winning team from Binghamton from 2 years ago. Subtract the best goalie in the league this year and you get ugly, ugly hockey. Even the shootout winner was a fanned shot. Can't wait to hear Tort's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Wang is willing to spend money (No one has lost more money than Wang as an owner) but not without new revenue streams. Brooklyn helps that.
    Wouldn't mind if you are right but without anything to build( not the team, but buildings), I think he will sell. As long as someone gets some help for Tavares, Moulson and Streit, I will be happy

How come Broduer is so good? I dunno. Ask the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...anted=all&_r=0

(I don't have time to read it right now before work, but figure this was a good place to bookmark it for myself.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Habs let a point slip away. Credit to the Isles power play that seemed to score at the right moment to keep them in the game.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing
    Yves: Due to a serious Verizon FIOS fuckup; I missed 99% of the 1st period (I was on the phone with Customer Svc yelling the whole time!)
    Got the game just as the Habs took the penalty at the end of 1st period.

The Isles' main issue is actually not offense but not having even one credible top tier blueliner. Streit is an offensive d-man; as is TheLubeJob. Streit is average on D at best and TheLubeJob is worse. Hamonic, MacDonald, Hickey, Finley...I mean c'mon.

If it wasn't for the PP; the Isles wouldn't have any wins at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    No Hansen / Hossa talk? Was it deliberate? (IMO it was). While I understand Hansen is not a serial offender (a la Raffi Torres); it was not a "hockey play" and I think one game is too light.
    At least this time the ref's on the ice called a penalty, even though it was 2 minutes for roughing. Last year, when Torres assaulted Hossa in the playoffs, the ref's did not even call a penalty on Torres, and Torres got to play the rest of the game after Hossa was carried off the ice on a stretcher.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...203576&lang=en.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Hey Klonk, welcome to Uglyville. They put a stat up on the screen at one point that 13 or 14 of the guys in Ottawa uniforms tonight were on the Calder Cup winning team from Binghamton from 2 years ago. Subtract the best goalie in the league this year and you get ugly, ugly hockey. Even the shootout winner was a fanned shot. Can't wait to hear Tort's comments.
    Torts head almost exploded when an Ottawa reporter asked him if he had sympathy for Anderson. I mean seriously, what kind of dumb ass question is that to ask a coach who just lost a game? Obviously the clown just wanted some headline quotes. I think Torts replied, "Do I have sympathy? No, he was tripped...and it was a goal!"

I have to give Ottawa props. They're working hard and getting wins even under the bad circumstances. And it was a shame to see Anderson go down. He's been unbelievable this year. Hope he gets back soon. I didn't think it was a bad game. I actually thought there was a good flow, (not like the coma that was Montreal the other night) but yeah it was a little ugly. And even though we lost, I thought the Rangers played a pretty solid game. That shootout winner had me slap my forehead.

That Swedish kid who netted that shorthanded backhander? He has some serious talent.

Tomorrow night, the coma returns...

I hope and have to think that it will be a better game, Yves. I'd laugh my ass off if for the first 5 minutes, Torts has the players continuously ice the puck to give Bell Center a taste of their coaches medicine.

Pretty scary scene with Artem Anisimov in Detroit/Colombus game last night. Had to be taken off in a stretcher. Hope he's ok.

The eons are closing
    Canadiens iced the puck SIX TIMES in an eight minute span during the 3rd period.
    Which was fine with me...worked in the Isles favour for sure.

I always thought that the helmets the players wear are flimsy at best. But... they need something they can rip off their heads easily in order to fight. A football style helmet just won't do!

Isles put DeePee on waivers.

The eons are closing
    Waivers for DiPietro

Just saw it Klonker...

For many fans, DiPietro has become a figure of sympathy, a victim of bad luck anchored down by a contract he had the nerve to sign when it was offered to him (for shame). As the Islanders creep forever closer to their Blackhawks-like franchise revival lovefest among NHL fans – and to a glorious move to Brooklyn – it would have been gratifying to see DiPietro have his fortunes reversed with them.

To not, for once in his career, be a punchline.

anchored down by a contract he had the nerve to sign when it was offered to him (for shame)
    I'll never understand why fans criticize players for making too much. Would you turn down a multi-million dollar contract to play a sport?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    That Swedish kid who netted that shorthanded backhander? He has some serious talent.
    Agreed. Silfverberg is going to be a premier scorer in the league. The word is getting out about his quick release. He beat Brodeur in the shootout cleanly, so credit to King Henry for getting a piece of it.

I guess I'm having trouble adjusting to the flow of the games with Karlsson on the shelf. Ottawa was playing a high-tempo game with that wild-card of the d-man rushing the puck, creating 4 on 2s or 4 on 3s. Now, it's more dump and chase, more banging on the boards, jamming the front of net and getting those dirty goals like the game tieing goal by Zibanijad last night. It's crazy - after Karlsson went down, they called up three guys from Binghamton - 2 forwards and defenseman. All three are between 6'2" and 6'3" and between 210 and 220 lbs. The good news is they all can skate and Eric Gryba (defense) looks like he has a lot of upside, as he gets more used to he pace of the NHL game. \

One last note - I'm glad there wasn't any head-hunting after the first round playoff series last year. There were a couple of iffy hits (one on Richards where he turned and got hit by Smith and was winded for a minute) and one on del Zotto (I hope he's OK). Looks like Boyle is in the dog house this year.

Excuse my ignorance in these matters, but anybody claiming DiPietro would inherit that contract? If he clears waivers is he an unrestricted free agent?