Page 231 of 403 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241281331 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Habs have overcome that humiliating loss last Friday.. Good overall effort last night!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Best wishes to Bryan Bickell
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Wow. That's got to be a tough diagnosis for anyone, but especially for someone whose livlihood depends on having peak physical ability. Maybe his physical strength will help him to fight off the effects. I wish him a very slow onset of symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    I
    But let me make a bold statement here, so you will remember where you read it first: Mitchel Marner is a magician on the ice. 18 years old and he's already a wizard out there. Rookie of the year, and future NHL points leader, and superstar.
    Lino! Great to see you here. That JVR, Bozak, Marner line is outstanding so far. Win or lose, watching the Leafs is fun again. I can almost imagine that Babcock might actually come through for us on his rebuild promises.

I'm looking forward to watching tonight's game against the Habs. We've got tickets for Leafs/Avalanche on Dec. 11.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Lino! Great to see you here. That JVR, Bozak, Marner line is outstanding so far. Win or lose, watching the Leafs is fun again. I can almost imagine that Babcock might actually come through for us on his rebuild promises.

I'm looking forward to watching tonight's game against the Habs. We've got tickets for Leafs/Avalanche on Dec. 11.
    Now...If we only had a defence!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

The Vegas Golden Knights are officially the 31st team to join the NHL. https://www.nhl.com/news/vegas-golde...?tid=281011650
    When I first saw the logo, on a non-sports website, I thought it was a promo for the next Transformers movie.

Their second logo is a bit weak too.

I thought they'd have more of a bright, classic Vegas themed one.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I like the name and the logo... Never wanted to see Vegas myself but once the Raiders move there I'll have to plan a trip to see both a football game and hockey game in the same weekend.

Meanwhile...Habs being exposed in November after flying out of the gates in October....same as it ever was...

Oh come on Yves, the Habs were the much better team last night. Many of their rushes were dangerous: Gallagher hit the crossbar and Byron was robbed by a great glove save in the third period. I would say the difference was that Anderson outplayed Price last night. For whatever reason, the Sens seem to be in Price's head a bit, as they have had a lot of success over him in the recent past.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

In 2093, as the Habs start planning the 100th Anniversary celebration of their last Cup, they will realize that each member of that team is long gone, have a Homer Simpson "d'oh" moment and apply to join the KHL, thus leaving the NHL with the "original five". The only upside for them will be that, at that point, the arch-nemesis Maple Leafs will be running a streak of 126 straight Cup-less years, and counting...........

Ugh. No need to expand hockey. No need to have hockey in Vegas when there are Canadian cities that desperately want a team. And what a god-awful name.

The logo is nice, though.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Oh come on Yves, the Habs were the much better team last night. Many of their rushes were dangerous: Gallagher hit the crossbar and Byron was robbed by a great glove save in the third period. I would say the difference was that Anderson outplayed Price last night. For whatever reason, the Sens seem to be in Price's head a bit, as they have had a lot of success over him in the recent past.
    the Habs have been relying on their defensemen or their 4th liners to score since the season began. It is catching up to them.

Lame name, lame logo, even lamer idea to put yet another expansion team in a non-hockey market.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Lame name, lame logo, even lamer idea to put yet another expansion team in a non-hockey market.
    I couldn't agree more. I wonder how many tourists will choose hockey over Cirque du Soleil?

Yep.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

...and your team will be losing some quality players to them this summer... In fact, if this were happening tomorrow, the Habs could lose Price!

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...se-carey-price

They could have grabbed Andrew Hammond who was sent down to the AHL after he cleared waivers. I'm sure they will juggle things around before the draft so that they have an expendable goalie to offer up. Price ain't going anywhere.

The article gives certain possible scenarios. They will need to sign Montoya or another goalie knowing he could be claimed. If not, then he's under contract. This scenario will repeat itself with different players on just about every team.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The article gives certain possible scenarios. They will need to sign Montoya or another goalie knowing he could be claimed. If not, then he's under contract. This scenario will repeat itself with different players on just about every team.
    Not on my team. This is typical Canadiens mis-management at work. Can you say Ryan McDonagh?

Terrible name. Stupid idea to put another hockey team in a desert. It worked so well the last time.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Terrible name. Stupid idea to put another hockey team in a desert. It worked so well the last time.
    Where is it exactly that you think the LA Kings reside?

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Where is it exactly that you think the LA Kings reside?
    The "last time" I was referring to was Phoenix...or Arizona...or whatever it is that team is called lately. As far as L.A., the NHL, and every other league, needs to have a team in L.A. because of the TV audience and West Coast population. But oftentimes even L.A. teams fail (like the old L.A. Rams, for instance). The Kings' owner once filed for bankruptcy, and that was after the NHL orchestrated a desperate trade to bring Gretzky to L.A. to pump up sagging attendance. Even after several Stanley Cups, L.A. is middle of the road attendance-wise (they rank 15th this year and last year, which is crazy for a city of 4 million people):

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ndance_figures
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    The "last time" I was referring to was Phoenix...or Arizona...or whatever it is that team is called lately. As far as L.A., the NHL, and every other league, needs to have a team in L.A. because of the TV audience and West Coast population. But oftentimes even L.A. teams fail (like the old L.A. Rams, for instance). The Kings' owner once filed for bankruptcy, and that was after the NHL orchestrated a desperate trade to bring Gretzky to L.A. to pump up sagging attendance. Even after several Stanley Cups, L.A. is middle of the road attendance-wise (they rank 15th this year and last year, which is crazy for a city of 4 million people):

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ndance_figures
    LA is NOT New York. Yet, although they have been a lame franchise for most of their existence (excepting Gretzky, Dionne and Robitaille), they have had success...........in a desert. Winning Stanley Cups always trumps attendance in the NHL's eyes. That being said, I have a friend who lives in Vegas who is quite convinced there will be a viable market for hockey there. There already is a minor league team that does fairly well, and Vegas is as much a "see and be seen" place as LA is. Phoenix is definitely NOT, and that is the problem where that team is concerned. And if recent history is any indication, the Vegas Knuckleheads (or whatever the heck they're called) will be a boutique team which wins a Cup within 5-7 years (see Anaheim, Carolina, et. al.).

The eons are closing
    Fuck this Vegas shit.

Why is that stoonard Bettman continuing to go out of his way to prop up teams in markets where hockey doesn't work and yet does NoTHiNG to support a historical franchise that is the last one to win three cups in a row (never minding four wins and five straight finals).

Allows a fraud to 'purchase' the team even momentarily via his recommendation and due diligence;
    no 'pressure' brought to bear on Long Island "leaders" like done in Phx / Az and Vegas (never minding the other poor location choices) for a better lease, debt forgiveness or even a new arena;
    Presides over a move to an arena unfit for hockey where the most primo seats are held by a Honda SUV because 3 years warning is not enough time to prepare an NhL worthy arena (blech).

Bettman is by far the worst commissioner ever. Legacy franchises...eh...what have you done for me lately.... Canadian cities....youre 2nd fiddle to FLA and AZ....

/rant
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Fuck this Vegas shit.

Why is that stoonard Bettman continuing to go out of his way to prop up teams in markets where hockey doesn't work and yet does NoTHiNG to support a historical franchise that is the last one to win three cups in a row (never minding four wins and five straight finals).

Allows a fraud to 'purchase' the team even momentarily via his recommendation and due diligence;
    no 'pressure' brought to bear on Long Island "leaders" like done in Phx / Az and Vegas (never minding the other poor location choices) for a better lease, debt forgiveness or even a new arena;
    Presides over a move to an arena unfit for hockey where the most primo seats are held by a Honda SUV because 3 years warning is not enough time to prepare an NhL worthy arena (blech).

Bettman is by far the worst commissioner ever. Legacy franchises...eh...what have you done for me lately.... Canadian cities....youre 2nd fiddle to FLA and AZ....

/rant
    Nobody listens to Islanders fans anyway. Nice try with the NJ rendition of guinea, btw. Are you the Situation?