Page 205 of 402 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215255305 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    He'd be an awesome addition. Hey man, what are your feelings about Talbot? Loved him here.
    He has had flashes of greatness but the Oilers D just continues to be so bad. He's been Ok but not good enough to overcome that. They're given him a big extension so management is obviously happy with what they've seen so far--I'm just not completely sold yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Wow, I can't believe the amount of negativity and bullshit that flies around P.K. Subban right now. The guy has his faults and yeah he's a little too cocky but man, he's such a great player most of the time and adds so much to the team(who somehow made a HUGE committment to him) that to suggest they're going to trade him, is pure bullshit. Subban for Drouin?? Give me a frickin' break!! He's leading the team in points, has 41 assists, will probably beat his best-previous point total and has been in on almost 1/3 of all Canadien's goals. If he hadn't lost an edge and made a great play to help win the game he'd be the hero wouldn't he? But the hindsight experts are as always out in full force. Oddly enough, even after he lost an edge, there were still 3 Habs back in the play.
    This is the same guy who put a dirty elbow on Giroux the other night, knocking him out of the game, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    Re: Isles

Okposo is not being traded by deadline as his chemistry and contribution is too important for the run at the playoffs. Plus the last time the Isles traded one of Tavares ' close friends (Moulson) for that overrated piece of cr@p Vanek, the Isles and JT went into a tailspin.

Hamonic is tough. He has not slacked off or pouted. He understands that he is a good defenseman at a great contract price and that Snow will not move him unless he gets a comparable blueliner because after Travis, Boychuk and Leddy, it goes downhill fast for Isles D.

isles really need a goalie upgrade to compete with Henrique, Holtby et all.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Re: Isles

Okposo is not being traded by deadline as his chemistry and contribution is too important for the run at the playoffs. Plus the last time the Isles traded one of Tavares ' close friends (Moulson) for that overrated piece of cr@p Vanek, the Isles and JT went into a tailspin.

Hamonic is tough. He has not slacked off or pouted. He understands that he is a good defenseman at a great contract price and that Snow will not move him unless he gets a comparable blueliner because after Travis, Boychuk and Leddy, it goes downhill fast for Isles D.

isles really need a goalie upgrade to compete with Henrique, Holtby et all.
    I don't think he goes during the season, but I don't think they are going to resign him. I'm happy with the goalies, what we need is a lockdown defensive defenseman and a scorer.

This is the best hockey interview ever! Apparently, Rich Clune (Former Predator, current Leaf) and Cody Bass (Predators) don't like each other and some words were exchanged during practice today. Then this interview with Clune happened after the first period of tonight's Leafs/Predators game. I apologize for the poor quality, but I guess it's a bit too soon for this to hit many sites yet.

Patrick Roy got some practice time today before the alumni game this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is the same guy who put a dirty elbow on Giroux the other night, knocking him out of the game, right?
    C’Mon Ref: Subban deserved penalty, but no discipline

By Kerry Fraser

P.K. Subban

P.K. Subban, Bill Wippert/NHLI via Getty Images
    Columnist image
    Kerry Fraser

Archive

I received several questions on the hit that Montreal defenceman P.K. Subban delivered on Philadelphia forward Claude Giroux with 2:10 remaining in regulation time in the Habs shootout win over the Flyers on Friday night at the Bell Centre. Ty (@tyFFBC) asked via Twitter, “Could you talk about the Subban hit on Giroux the other night? Seemed very similar to the Komarov hit and yet no discipline.”

Toronto winger Leo Komarov was suspended three games by the Department of Player Safety on Feb. 19 after being assessed a match penalty by the referee(s) for an illegal hit to the head of Ryan McDonagh of the Rangers. Subban was not assessed a penalty on the play, nor did the Department of Player Safety deem the contact worthy of a fine or suspension.

There is no question that a penalty should have been called against Subban. Depending upon the angle that the contact was observed, the penalty could have been a minor for an illegal check to the head or elbowing. It might have also risen to the level of a major penalty for elbowing if the referee determined that Giroux’s fall was more about the degree of violence of the contact as opposed to a player’s natural tendency to go with the hit and spin away to help minimize the impact.

Embedded Image

While both McDonagh and Giroux received varying degrees of contact to their head, there are some significant differences between the angle of approach, method of initiating contact and degree of force exerted that resulted in a suspension to Komarov and nothing to Subban.

Subban approached with much less gap between himself and his opponent compared to Komarov, resulting in a more spontaneous contact versus a direct target of the head. The angle of approach differed considerably as well, contributing greatly to Komarov picking McDonagh’s head. Subban approached more squarely through Giroux’s body, while Komarov at no time altered his path to indicate that he intended to hit McDonagh squarely through his body.

While both Giroux and McDonagh were in a lowered body posture, the Rangers player pulled up and away from the impending contact, while the Flyers’ captain exposed his head to front contact.

Embedded Image

Embedded Image

The velocity of contact and the elevation/extension Komarov’s elbow was significantly greater and flush to the face of McDonagh. The Rangers captain sustained an obvious injury (bloody nose at the very least), while Giroux made it to the bench under his own steam and finished the game.

It would appear that Subban attempted to make contact off the centre mass of Giroux and that contact was initiated more from Subban’s triceps, as opposed to an elbow cap strike. The elevation of Subban’s arm/elbow resulted in a finish of the hit and not through contact. Komarov, on the other hand, elevated his elbow and shoulder to deliberately pick the head of McDonagh.

Embedded Image

Embedded Image

Finally, it was obvious that Subban demonstrated a complete lack of intent to strike Giroux in the head when the Montreal player showed concern for his opponent following an intended check that accidentally went afoul.

Embedded Image

While I never like to see contact of any sort to a player’s head, I believe there was an obvious difference between the two plays that warranted a suspension to Komarov and a pass to Subban on his attempted check on Giroux.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Poor guy. Even when he's good, he's bad-
    Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban sends baby to hospital with concussion after friendly puck toss during practice.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.2541056
    **After practice on Sunday, the Montreal Canadiens superstar tossed pucks into the stands for fans at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Unfortunately, one of the souvenirs accidentally hit one-month-old Beatrice Meloche in the head, knocking her unconscious and sending her to Montreal Children’s Hospital with a concussion. Coincidentally, that's the same hospital that named a wing "Atrium P.K. Subban" after he and his foundation donated $10 million last year.**

Why someone needs to bring a one month old child to....oh, nevermind.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Why someone needs to bring a one month old child to....oh, nevermind.
    Exactly
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Exactly my thoughts as well....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Clearly Subban was aiming at the child's head.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

He donated 10 mil to the sick kids hospital. He wanted to make sure that money wasn't just flushed down the toilet!

The October Habs resurfaced yesterday in DC. It's too little too late imo, but I hope the Habs can finish the season on a high note just to show us that there is some talent on this team and it doesn't need to be completely blown up in the off-season. A strong finish would also save Therrien's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The October Habs resurfaced yesterday in DC. It's too little too late imo, but I hope the Habs can finish the season on a high note just to show us that there is some talent on this team and it doesn't need to be completely blown up in the off-season. A strong finish would also save Therrien's job.
    Would even a strong finish save him if it comes down to a choice between him & Subban? I've been seeing stuff that indicates they don't exactly go out for post-game beers together.

Coaches coach and players play. Subban rubs some people the wrong way because he's a bit of a hot dog and a little over-the-top. I don't think he's going above Therrien's head for anything. He plays 25-30 mins per game despite his errors. What more could he ask for? Bergevin may surprise us and keep Therrien on board for next season citing the teams previous 2 seasons, with a healthy Price, as proof that Therrien's system works. I don't want to see a coaching change just for the sake of a coaching change but if some hot prospect came along I'd be OK with it. I was never a Therrien fan.

Saw that watching highlights last night. Great save!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Condon made an un believable save against the Caps on Wednesday. Unfortunately I can't find footage that gives us that clear overhead view of it. He reached around his back and back-handed the puck away with his blocker. he then had the presence of mind, while lying on his stomach, to keep his pad against the post to ensure the rebound wasn't knocked in....

he then proceeded to give up 2 soft 3rd period goals to make the game a lot closer than it should have been.....

Thanks! Goalies have become crazy good in the NHL! I heard one sportscaster proclaim that in all of North American professional sports, NHL goaltending is the one position that has improved the most over the last decade. Yeah, there's luck involved, but you create your luck by being in a position to have a chance at the lucky save.

Wow. A couple of great saves posted here. This is why I love this sport.

In Leafs news, they won 5 games in their last 21. Watching the game against Carolina last night (which they won!) the commentators were talking about how no one on the Leafs is playing for the playoffs this year, they're just playing to keep their jobs at this point. Every game is a job interview.

It was announced today that Joffery Lupul is out for the season. He requires hernia surgery and the organization decided to pull him from the line-up so that he could have the surgery and be ready to play for the start of next season. I hope he comes back to the Leafs and I hope he comes back healthy. I'd actually love to see him wear the C next season. Babcock is using the rest of the season to evaluate the players and the young guys coming up from the Marlies. I understand their position, but it's kind of a drag as we have tickets for March 15th. If I wanted to see the Marlies, I could see them for a lot less than I paid for these Leafs tickets.

Oh well. It serves me right. I should have known better than to buy Leafs tickets this season. It's almost April. GO BLUE JAYS GO!

Montreal will be crawling with Leafs fans this weekend as the Buds roll into town. It's always a lot of fun to frequent the bars and restaurants near the Bell Center and see as many blus shirts as red shirts... sometimes all sitting at the same table! Lots of good natured ribbing occurs...

Leafs/Habs games are usually a big deal for us. We have a group of friends who always try to get together at a bar to watch the game together. Our group is Leafs fans with one hard core Habs fans. The bar is usually 2/3 Leafs fans and 1/3 Habs fans. It's always a fun night with a friendly rivalry in the bar.

I just checked the schedule. This is the last time that our teams will meet this season.

You'll see a lot of crowd shots during the game where two apparently good friends, or a couple, will be wearing opposing shirts. It's all in good-natured fun because the games haven't meant anything in a long time. Should we meet in the playoffs though...