Page 197 of 402 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    John Scott has been voted in by the fans as one of the 4 All Star Game captains
    And has just been demoted to the minors after clearing waivers!

We need to get back to hockey here in Montreal! Habs haven't played since Saturday so the media feasted on the story about Galchenyuk's girlfriend slapping him after a dispute...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

John Scott was apparently just traded to Montreal.

Seriously.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

And the Oilers grabbed Zach Kassian earlier this week. It's the Renaissance of the Tough Guy. Or something.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    John Scott was apparently just traded to Montreal.

Seriously.
    Habs gave up Jarred Tinordi, a "failed former top prospect", for him.

Here's the deal in a nutshell... Weird trade imo... I fail to see how the Habs improve with this deal

"The Montreal Canadiens have acquired forward John Scott from the Arizona Coyotes and defenceman Victor Bartley from the Nashville Predators in a three-team trade, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

The Preds sent Bartley to the Coyotes for defenceman Stefan Elliott, then Bartley and Scott were moved to Montreal for defenceman Jarred Tinordi and minor league forward Stefan Fournier."

I think something else is brewing. I get the feeling Smith-Pelly and possibly Nathan Beaulieu may be on their way out of Montreal as well...

I agree, Yves. I also think they will move Scott quickly and call up Galchenyk's girlfriend to fill the goon role.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

4 guys who should be traded:

Eller

Emelin

Markov

Plekanec

Habs have gotten caught up in overestimating certain players for too long now. The absence of Price does not account for their total lack of goal scoring. They need to act now while they're still in race for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    4 guys who should be traded:

Eller

Emelin

Markov

Plekanec

Habs have gotten caught up in overestimating certain players for too long now. The absence of Price does not account for their total lack of goal scoring. They need to act now while they're still in race for the playoffs.
    Well they do need something and I think have a fair number of options still, but I disagree with trading Plekanec. 33 years old, veteran, experienced. great 2-way center and 2nd on the team with 32 points in 44 games. I think they just need to look at their combos when they get Price and Weise back and go with what worked in the beginning of the year.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

OK.. we'll keep Pleky. he had a good game last night and he's our best PK forward...

I don't know if the Habs just keep running into hot goalies or if they keep making opposing goalies look hot. They deserved better last night...again...

I consider a guy like Plekanec to be so much than just a scorer. I've admitted my admiration for him here elsewhere. Clearly, they didn't just give him that extension because they thought he was going to blossom into a 35 goal scorer at this stage of his career. Ottawa has similar a player in Milan Michalek. He'll never be a marquee offensive threat, but he's very versatile in that he can play PP, PK and up and down the lineup and you never hear a peep from him about his ice time or his line mates. Guys like that go way beyond the stats. So I'm glad you've had a change of heart on Pleks, Yves. Now about those other three pylons, ...

And speaking of oh so tepid Sens: Just when it looked like they were ready to slide to the bottom, because they entire team has gone cold offensively, they "explode" for four against Jonathan Quick (plus an empty-netter) and grab a win in LA. I'm still bleary eyed after watching two NFL games and the Sens.

Speaking of the NFL, I thought they were supposed to have their best reffing crews in the playoffs the same as the NHL. Well, the two crews that worked the games on Saturday didn't have their best stuff. Some of the missed calls (and oh so obvious reversals after reviews and challenges) made them look like, well, NHL refs.

If the playoffs began today, the Habs would be sitting at home... Not sure just wtf is going on but it's time for a major shake up of this roster. The effort is there almost every night but it has become obvious that the talent is not. Habs have dropped something like 18 of their last 23; almost all of these in regulation so no garbage single point....

Yves, how has the PP been? I always that that if you could contain Subban and Markhov on the points, the PP would be less effective. I know that Subban only has a couple of goals this season, so that may be a big contributor to the Habs lack of success,

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Well they do need something and I think have a fair number of options still, but I disagree with trading Plekanec. 33 years old, veteran, experienced. great 2-way center and 2nd on the team with 32 points in 44 games. I think they just need to look at their combos when they get Price and Weise back and go with what worked in the beginning of the year.
    ...and he'll get you at least 4 minutes of PP time per game by diving
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Rangers slowly seem to be getting their game back on track. Played great last night. There's still things that need to be fixed on D and a handful of disappearing acts on O, but hoping we can put together a string of wins and get the good vibes back in the locker room.

I have a feeling a move will be made involving Keith Yandle. It's unlikely Rangers will extend his contract. We'll see.

Rangers are still in the mix in their division. Nobody' gonna catch the Caps imo, but you could still easily grab one of the top 3 spots. Habs gonna be in a dog fight as a wild card if they don't remedy the situation. Some of you may recall way back when Therrien was hired that I was not a fan. I'm still not. Habs let some coaching prospects leave here in order to keep him. Gerard Gallant was a man I really liked. Look what he's doing with the Panthers...

The Caps are unstoppable right now.

The Caps are unstoppable right now.
    Except when they're playing the Sabres, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Rangers are still in the mix in their division. Nobody' gonna catch the Caps imo, but you could still easily grab one of the top 3 spots. Habs gonna be in a dog fight as a wild card if they don't remedy the situation. Some of you may recall way back when Therrien was hired that I was not a fan. I'm still not. Habs let some coaching prospects leave here in order to keep him. Gerard Gallant was a man I really liked. Look what he's doing with the Panthers...
    I like the way the Habs have improved in the last few years and maybe I'm being too optimistic but when I see a team that's outshooting the other team "most" of the time and having played a very tough bunch of teams lately, I think it could easily turn around the right way again. It's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to want to dump the coach or trade away this guy and that guy etc and I don't agree in this case. As far as Subban, not as many goals but great on assists this year and less time in the box....
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Out of the next 10 games, I'm predicting they win 7.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Toronto
    Columbus
    Columbus
    Flyers
    Sabres
    Oilers
    Hurricanes
    Lightning
    Sabres
    Coyotes

are the next ten for the Habs
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I like the way the Habs have improved in the last few years and maybe I'm being too optimistic but when I see a team that's outshooting the other team "most" of the time and having played a very tough bunch of teams lately, I think it could easily turn around the right way again. It's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to want to dump the coach or trade away this guy and that guy etc and I don't agree in this case.
    Fairly similar situation here in NY to and I agree. But with us, even though we've piled on shots on goal, it's the quality that's been an issue. Nobody in front digging for garbage and screening goalies. This is seeming to change the last few games.

Fairly similar situation here in NY to and I agree. But with us, even though we've piled on shots on goal, it's the quality that's been an issue. Nobody in front digging for garbage and screening goalies. This is seeming to change the last few games.
    I just told my house league team the same thing before the playoffs started because we weren't going to the net. In the first 4 games they've scored 23 goals. 23!!
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Hopefully Kreider is starting to wake up. When he first entered the league, I thought we had a baby Lindros on our hands. He's got the tools. Needs a little more snarl to his game. But, yeah, all the fancy-Dan, pass-pass-pass stuff just isn't getting it done consistently. Gotta change or the Rangers may have trouble winning even one playoff series.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Hopefully Kreider is starting to wake up. When he first entered the league, I thought we had a baby Lindros on our hands. He's got the tools. Needs a little more snarl to his game. But, yeah, all the fancy-Dan, pass-pass-pass stuff just isn't getting it done consistently. Gotta change or the Rangers may have trouble winning even one playoff series.
    right on. And I'm totally with you on Kreider. This kid is built like a truck, but just doesn't have that killer instinct. He's been more noticeable lately, but most of the season he's been invisible. So frustrating because he has the tools to be one of the most dominant power forwards in the game. I'm a little down on Girardi and Staal also while we're at it. Not having good seasons so far. Especially Girardi. Boyle too although he's put up some points lately on the PP. Boyle is so easy to knock off the puck. None of these guys can clear the crease. I think it's time to cut ties and let McIlrath get more playing time. He's been real solid even though he can let his emotions get the best of him.