Page 196 of 402 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,900 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Just in general, I think that every time a player gets a suspension, they should get suspended based on the act in question and then they should get a one game suspension for every previous suspension. For example, in this case, Marchand would get his three games for the hit and then another two games for his priors. For repeat offenders, these additional games could add up pretty quickly.
    I like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Even given all those contracts coming up, Stamkos is an elite player and the face of the franchise. I guess there is some history to them unloading that face (see Lecavalier, Vincent).
    In the case of LeCavalier, they made the right move at the right time.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I know that the price will be too high for either of these players as far as the Habs are concerned. Any trades will probably involve teams from the West, not teams within the same division...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just in general, I think that every time a player gets a suspension, they should get suspended based on the act in question and then they should get a one game suspension for every previous suspension. For example, in this case, Marchand would get his three games for the hit and then another two games for his priors. For repeat offenders, these additional games could add up pretty quickly.
    I think teams just shouldn't be allowed to replace suspended players in the game-day lineup. When a player is suspended, the team can only dress 19 players instead of the usual 20. If two players are suspended for the same game then they can only dress 18 players, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    I think teams just shouldn't be allowed to replace suspended players in the game-day lineup. When a player is suspended, the team can only dress 19 players instead of the usual 20. If two players are suspended for the same game then they can only dress 18 players, and so on.
    I'm not sure that I want to penalize the team like that. I get where you're going with it, but I'd rather punish the player.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Why not punish the team? Of course it's the player's fault and not the team's, but if the team also gets penalized maybe this would be a little added incentive NOT to be stupid. I like the idea, Brad.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Why not punish the team? Of course it's the player's fault and not the team's, but if the team also gets penalized maybe this would be a little added incentive NOT to be stupid. I like the idea, Brad.
    I just don't think that the team is to blame (in most cases, anyway). Believe me, as a fan of the Flyers, I know when there's a culture of goonery, but I'm never a fan of punishing a group when you can punish the individual who actually committed the act.

The problem I have with the idea is if a goalie is involved. I know it happens rarely since Ron Hextall retired, but what if you lose a goalie to a suspension. That means you can only dress one other goalie? What if he gets hurt?

So when Raffi Torres is suspended for 40+ games his team is forced to be one short on the roster for that length of time? It's a nice idea but I think a little too harsh on the team. Plus I think the NHLPA would have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    So when Raffi Torres is suspended for 40+ games his team is forced to be one short on the roster for that length of time? It's a nice idea but I think a little too harsh on the team. Plus I think the NHLPA would have an issue with it.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    In the case of LeCavalier, they made the right move at the right time.
    And the Flyers are making the right move, too, as they just traded Vinny and Luke Schenn to the Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I just don't think that the team is to blame (in most cases, anyway). Believe me, as a fan of the Flyers, I know when there's a culture of goonery, but I'm never a fan of punishing a group when you can punish the individual who actually committed the act.
    I agree and I'm fine with how it is. But I think there could be something said for players being on higher alert knowing that their team could be punished as well. Just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post

there's an exception. I'm surprised this guy is even going to be allowed to play in the NHL again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The problem I have with the idea is if a goalie is involved. I know it happens rarely since Ron Hextall retired, but what if you lose a goalie to a suspension. That means you can only dress one other goalie? What if he gets hurt?
    You give the Zamboni Driver a Professional Try Out contract.

Speaking of Hextall and Lecavalier...

Ron Hextall has worked his magic again! Not only has he found a team willing to take Vincent Lecavalier, but he was able to clear the log jam in on the blue line with one big trade.

Bob McKenzie is among many reporting that Hextall has traded both Vincent Lecavalier and Luke Schenn to the Los Angeles Kings for Jordan Weal and a 3rdround pick in 2016. Elliotte Friedman is reporting that the Flyers will retain 50% of both contracts, as the Kings do not have the cap space to take on both salaries.

Weal is a 5’9, 179 lbs forward who is known play making abilities. He posted 47 and 49 assists in back to back seasons for the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL in 2013-14 and 2014-15. He had no points in 10 games with the Kings this year.
    http://www.letsgoflyers.net/2016/01/...rks-his-magic/

...and Ryan Johanson of Colombus goes to Nashville for Seth Jones. That's an interesting one!

Speaking of Hextall and Lecavalier...
    Pure salary dump for Philly, but perhaps not much of one with them still retaining half the contract. Indications are Lecavalier will retire at the end of the season despite two more years remaining on his contract. Not sure if the cap hit for those final two years will persist or vanish; I think it depends on his age when he signed the contract but I don't remember what the 'magic age' for that rule is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Pure salary dump for Philly
    Indeed, but it makes room for younger players that Hexy wants to bring up, and they get a prospect and draft pick. Brilliant!

Yeah. Nice move by Philly. And adding Cement Shoes Schenn I'm thinking adds to your happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah. Nice move by Philly. And adding Cement Shoes Schenn I'm thinking adds to your happiness.
    Subtracting him, yes.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's Winter Classic Day! I love this New Year's Day tradition.

And I 100% agree with Birdy. Happy New Year everyone.
    It's kind of a nifty idea, but I can't imagine it makes for a good hockey-watching experience in person, with the rink being so far away from the stands--especially in a football stadium over a baseball park. Has anyone been to one of these in person?

Even the TV coverage was sub-par compared to what you'd see with an arena show. The skycam is cute for showing replays of kick returns, but IMO does not work well at all for showing live hockey, and the more distant center red line shots weren't as good, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's kind of a nifty idea, but I can't imagine it makes for a good hockey-watching experience in person, with the rink being so far away from the stands--especially in a football stadium over a baseball park. Has anyone been to one of these in person?

Even the TV coverage was sub-par compared to what you'd see with an arena show. The skycam is cute for showing replays of kick returns, but IMO does not work well at all for showing live hockey, and the more distant center red line shots weren't as good, either.
    I'd never go see it live. Who the hell wants to sit in sub-zero temperature for three hours? I watch it at home, in my pajamas, with a big cup of tea in the first period, and then I switch to wine. And lots of snacks.

I do the same thing for Hockey Day in Canada (Feb. 6th, this year).

I'd sit out there for 3 hours for a football game but how can you follow the puck from the nosebleeds of a stadium? Those people were merely watching it on the Jumbotron. They were there for the "event" of it.

Nice tribute to the late Dickie Moore by the Canadiens.

Habs made a trade yesterday and I wasn't even aware of it. They sent Tokarski to the Ducks for a forward named Friberg... I knew Tokarski's days here were numbered when the Habs traded for Scrivens a few weeks back. I'm not sure Tokarski has what it takes to become a no 1 goalie. Habs have got Fucale perfecting his craft in the AHL so Tokarski became expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Habs made a trade yesterday and I wasn't even aware of it. They sent Tokarski to the Ducks for a forward named Friberg... I knew Tokarski's days here were numbered when the Habs traded for Scrivens a few weeks back. I'm not sure Tokarski has what it takes to become a no 1 goalie. Habs have got Fucale perfecting his craft in the AHL so Tokarski became expendable.
    Tokarski and Hutch, I remember them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Tokarski and Hutch, I remember them.
    LOL!