Page 18 of 402 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

^ As are the Devils. They looked very good in shutting down the Penguins in this weekend's home and home. Pre-game talk in both games was about the Pens' powerful offense. I never saw it.

And if you weren't keeping track, Clarkson has 9 goals in 12 games.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Mikail 'Chompy' Grabovski
    Accuse me of being a homer all you want, but I would have done the same thing. Watch the replay. Grabovski's arms are engaged with another hab, Paccioretti comes in from behind and with a forearm across grabovski's nose and mouth, locking on the the helmet strap...honestly, put yourself in the situation of not being able to use your hand to remove another guy's arm from your mouth. Panic sets in. The only thing he did wrong is not taking flesh with him and spitting it back at him. If he gets even a game suspension, it's another win for the weasels of the world.

They announced today that he won't get a suspension.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Accuse me of being a homer all you want, but I would have done the same thing. Watch the replay. Grabovski's arms are engaged with another hab, Paccioretti comes in from behind and with a forearm across grabovski's nose and mouth, locking on the the helmet strap...honestly, put yourself in the situation of not being able to use your hand to remove another guy's arm from your mouth. Panic sets in. The only thing he did wrong is not taking flesh with him and spitting it back at him. If he gets even a game suspension, it's another win for the weasels of the world.
    I did actually put myself in that position and you're right. I would have done the same thing.

Right now in the East, it's all NJ and Boston. Rangers have Boston next and we have a bit of a roll going. Hope to keep it up. Seems like all 4 lines are now finally starting to click.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Lino
    That's good news, because he didn't deserve one. I'm sure once Shanny looked at the tape, it was a no brainer. I'm sure he's also aware of what the score was in the game at the time. I wouldn't expect anything less from any NHL team when they didn't play well and got beat down by a division rival at home. It's always been that way in hockey.

In any event, I'm not here to gloat because this NHL season will be like this...look like a champ one night and a chump the next. However, I have to say that I've watched 90% of the Leaf games over the years and that was the best game I've seen them play in 20 years.

The biggest difference with the Leafs this year (so far...fingers crossed lol) is the guys in the lineup who can fight. I'm not just talking about 4th liners, every team has those. I'm talking about these new defencemen the Leafs have ...Carlyle makes sure that either Holzer or Frazier are out there on D when their 2 top lines are out. You can just see the courage in guys like Khadri, Bozak and even Kessel. At any given time, the Leafs will have at least one guy on the ice who has proven to be an able pugilist. I wasn't joking when I said last year that the Leafs saved some lives by not making the play offs. If they had, 3/4 of the team would be in hospital too small and afraid. This year they brough Colton Orr back, added McLaren, and have 3 BIG d-men in Koska Frazier and Holzer who can scrap. And Phaneuf I suppose can break a few opponents knuckles by making their punches land on his forhead.

Sometimes you need to compare to realize what you had before. Wilson wasn't in carlyle's class. Don Cherry said it best: if Burke wasn't so damn loyal to his friends (Wilson, Allair), he'd still be GM and watching the fruits of his labour come to a bit of a fruition.

Lino
    Klonky... Colton Orr had the game of his life on Saturday night, you would have loved it. Got a nice assist too!
    ...and last year Burke said he was sad to let him go, because he has no place in today's NHL. uhhh, what?? He's one of the big reasons why Toronto is 7-5.

Leafs played like the Habs had been playing until the Boston game. They got solid goaltending and they crashed the net. Thank goodness the Habs are on the road for the next two games. Time to get back to basics. They're in 6th, in the hunt, and they need to keep pace. I think Saturday's game was a carry-over from the one they lost in Buffalo earlier in the week.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Wayne Simmonds with the goal!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, gee, that was fun for a while.

^I'm still having fun!

And the fun just keeps on coming.

Yeah, yeah....

Lino
    Ehhhhhhhsther! lol

What a team! Colton Orr another stellar game...second star! 1 goal and 3 hits, playing the 4th line.
    Just wanted to give credit to Burke for a second. He gave away too much for Kessel. But They fleeced Philly for Van Riemsdyk. Schenn is an ok defenceman, but JVR is gonna be a star. Gardner and Lupol for Beauchemin was a steal. Franzen from Nashville is starting to look like good deal too. So he fucked quite a few things, but his trades weren't all bad.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ As are the Devils.
    Yeah, but they're just an expansion team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yeah, but they're just an expansion team.
    Yeah, they're just a Mickey Mouse organization, aren't they . . .

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yeah, they're just a Mickey Mouse organization, aren't they . . .
    An expression that has never made sense to me in the manner it is used. Disney is a Mickey Mouse organization and it generates billions of $$$.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    But They fleeced Philly for Van Riemsdyk. Schenn is an ok defenceman, but JVR is gonna be a star.
    I don't know about this.

JVR was severely underperforming in Philly, and they needed a defenseman. Schenn's been pretty solid, playing on their top defensive pairing, and has gotten better as the season has gone on.

The consensus 'round these parts is that it was a trade that benefited both teams.

Lino
    You may have point Scott. Luke wasn't getting any better here and there weren't too many tears shed when he got traded. Glad to read that he's doing ok there. JVR has been outstanding for us. Our leading goal scorer, some much needed size up front...I appreciate that Philly needed D and he's doing the job...but from our side, we gave up a kid who was floundering, and got back a guy who looks like he's ready to take a serious step up in class. 9 goals so far i think, and a real beauty last night against his old team.

Don't get me wrong - most of us loved JVR here. Great kid, great attitude, but never seemed to live up to his potential. Really glad to see he's seeing success in TO. Except for last night.

What I remember about JVR playing us as a Flyer was he was always in the goalies face. Pissed me off!

Rangers have been scoring goals lately. Let's hope it keeps up tonight against the big bad Bruins.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    Isles season over! Can't or won't play defense.
    This will be the longest 48 games ever.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Isles season over! Can't or won't play defense.
    This will be the longest 48 games ever.
    LOL. The highs and lows of a hockey season. Don't despair. They weren't as good as you thought they were a week or two ago and they aren't as bad as you think they are now. (I know, cause I'm going through the same thing with my team at the moment. They were playing above their heads early on and now they can't buy a goal against teams like Carolina and Winnipeg. WTF!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    An expression that has never made sense to me in the manner it is used. Disney is a Mickey Mouse organization and it generates billions of $$$.
    Are you questioning the Great One?

Let's put it in context - they weren't very good for a long time. If only the Great One had said "rinky dink" instead.

Lino
    Thomas, you guys got an extra goalie you want to give away for like...uhhh...Mike Komiserik??? :P That'll help you guys hit the cap floor. lol Didn't look good for Reimer as he was helped off the ice last night. Though they won't be looking to make a big deal (if they do, I will dis-own them), but a small one for a veteran back up till Reimer comes back may be in the works.