Page 179 of 402 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

I was Boffo!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Hockey season starts a month from today. Only 30 more sleeps!

How Marc-Andre Fleury kept a straight face while shooting this will forever be a mystery.

Maybe he's got a career after hockey!

Yesterday was the Canadiens' annual golf tournament. It usually symbolizes the beginning of the hockey year here in Montreal. Our local paper had 12 pages dedicated to it! Mostly because the Habs are supposed to name a captain this year.

Drop the puck!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

For those who care...I'll be activating both of our fantasy hockey leagues this weekend and setting up tentative draft dates and times.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    How Marc-Andre Fleury kept a straight face while shooting this will forever be a mystery.

Really good. They did a great job getting the exact details down. I met the real guy who played the goalie a few years ago
    when I played in Hamilton for a team that played against Commonwealth countries team and he signed me a postcard which reads, "Hey Mike, trade me right fucking now!". I would have NEVER recognized him though. Short grey hair etc.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

nice job. Those sideburns!

Regardless of how you might feel about him on the ice, how can anyone not love P.K. Subban?

Quote Originally Posted by CBC
    P.K. Subban donates $10M to Montreal Children's Hospital

The Montreal Children's Hospital is getting a boost from one of the city's favourite Habs.

It's naming its atrium in honour of P.K. Subban on Wednesday morning, after the star defenceman made what the hospital is calling "the biggest philanthropic commitment by a sports figure in Canadian history."

"Montreal has become my second home," Subban said. "My love for Montreal is why I wanted to make a significant contribution to this city and this province."

The funding will be used in part for a fund called P.K.'s Helping Hands, which will help families struggling financially with a child's illness.

An official announcement was made at the hospital today, but Subban missed the beginning of it as he was stuck in traffic.

He arrived to a standing ovation and shouts of "P.K.! P.K.!" from the large crowd gathered in the atrium for the announcement.

"As I was walking out of the backroom, I noticed the P.K. Subban lettering up there and I got goosebumps," Subban said pointing to his name which now adorns a wall on the atrium.

"It's not too many times I get goosebumps in what I do playing hockey for a very long time in front a lot of people. That's probably the only time I got goosebumps in a long time."

Greg Rokos, chair of the board of directors of the Montreal Children's Hospital foundation, said the donation was like "Christmas in September."

On hand for the announcement this morning were Subban's parents, his sister Natassia, Élise Béliveau, the wife of late Canadiens legend Jean Béliveau, and Michel Lacroix, head announcer of the Montreal Canadiens.

The new Montreal Children's Hospital opened at the Glen site earlier this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ital-1.3230086

Great story! That Glen site is about a 20-minute walk from where I live. It's Montreal's new super hospital. It's a beautiful facility. Good to see a young man who doesn't feel the need to throw his money around on bling and ho's!

Rookie tourney was on the weekend and training camp starts tomorrow. Here it comes ...
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Rookie tourney was on the weekend and training camp starts tomorrow. Here it comes ...
    Three weeks today. 21 sleeps.

I'm not sure what to make of the Habs for the upcoming season. They seem to tweak their roster every season without making any truly impactful moves. I guess we'll score 2 goals per game and hope Price only lets in 1...again.... I love the tradition and class of the organization but I find it to be a little bit too conservative in its approach; too focused on doing things "The Habs Way" as opposed to truly shaking things up. There are guys on our roster who merely take up a spot without ever progressing. Yet every season, there they are... Guys like Lars Eller for example...

Yeah I'm not sure what to make of Rangers yet either. For the most part the team is the same. D is all the same with hopefully McIlrath making a push to get in the line-up. New additions Stoll, Etem and Stalberg I'm not really too familiar with. Hopefully Stoll will help in the face-off dept. and PK. Etem from what I've read has wheels and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. I know Stalberg has skills, but I hear he's hot/cold. And of course we still have Henrik which always helps.

Camp starts tomorrow and first preseason game in Monday. Drop the puck!!

Must be hockey season soon - Klonk has the Rangers avi back!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Once the Raiders fall to 0-6 I may look for a Habs avatar!

The Sens will have several new players in the starting lineup this season. Gone from last year are Lehner, Legwand, Condra and Gryba. Chris Phillips is still having back problems, so he's out indefinitely. Most of the guys who will fill those spots finished the season and played in the playoffs, so the team won't have a radical new look, but there will a few rookies getting their chance to play. Specifically, Matt Puempel or Shane Prince up front and Chris Wideman who was AHL defenseman of the year last year.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

I think the Sens will be in the hunt right from day one this year. No need for some miraculous run at the end of the season. Our division will be up for grabs. Not sure the Habs will prevail this year. Boston and Toronto will be a couple of question marks though. The Leafs are trying to make all the proper front office moves but let's see how well that will transfer to the ice.

Great job, PK Subban! I still hate you on the ice though!

But you'd love him in Ranger blue. For every bonehead play he makes, he also makes Paul Coffey/Bobby Orr type end to end rushes.

Oh absolutely! I'd love him on my team. He's a phenomenal talent...on the offensive side of things It's not the chirping on the ice that bugs me with him (I actually enjoy that) What I really don't like is the slew foot which he tends to use quite often. To me that's THE dirtiest and most dangerous move in the sport. He also tends to stir shit up a lot and run. That bugs the hell out of me!

Or the two hander to the wrist!

There were a couple of pre-season split squad games last night. Toronto and Ottawa played each other with half of each team playing in Toronto and the other half playing in Ottawa, consecutively. The same with Edmonton and Calgary.

I've never noticed this before. Is it something new? Or have I just not been paying close enough attention to the past pre-seasons?

I've seen it before, but I can't recall if the Habs have ever done it. I think it's a great way to see as much of the players you have in camp as possible in game situations. I'm not even sure when the Habs play their first pre-season game. I don't start watching until the games count anyway...

We already have our reservation booked at our favourite pub for the October 7th season opener between the Leafs and Habs. And Plan B is to move the party to our house if the Pub bumps the game in favour of a Blue Jays playoff game.

You're welcome to join us Yves! There will be at least one other Habs fan there.

I'll be out of town the next day as part of an extended Thanksgiving weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving is Oct 12 for you 'mericans).