Page 159 of 403 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209259 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

I have no problem with tie games. 4-on-4 OT for five minutes and that's it. There's something that doesn't sit right with me when a team loses and still gets a point. Shootout is an abomination.

Also, I'm against coaches challenges. One of the things I like most about hockey is the forward momentum. I can watch a game in 2-1/2 hours. When's the last time an NFL or MLB game took less than 3 hours, minimum? Hell, it takes a half hour to play the last 30 seconds of most basketball games. I love NFL, but the games have become a grind with all of the conferences and challenges and replays and commercial breaks. Hey Bettman, just say no to challenges.

No. Soccer has ties. Soccer sucks. Ergo, ties suck.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah, giving out a penalty for a challenge is too much. Losing a timeout is plenty. I love the idea of video reviews for interference.
    The penalty is given only if you've already used your timeout AND you lose the challenge. Otherwise, how would you propose things work if the timeout has been used?

I'm okay with ties too. Split the 2 points, one apiece, and move on.

Here's my difficulty with the proposed rules regarding the coach's challenge. Some asshole coach will follow the Fred Shero/Roger Neilson school of thought and instruct his players to crash the net after the opponents have burned their timeout (usually after an icing to end a long shift). The rule as it is proposed will probably cause more net crashing and goalie interference.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Here's my difficulty with the proposed rules regarding the coach's challenge. Some asshole coach will follow the Fred Shero/Roger Neilson school of thought and instruct his players to crash the net after the opponents have burned their timeout (usually after an icing to end a long shift). The rule as it is proposed will probably cause more net crashing and goalie interference.
    There's an easy fix for that, you know...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another MUST-WIN game for the Sens tonight against the Bruins. They will either be 2 behind with a game in hand or 6. They lost their last MUST-WIN against the B's. Time is running out for this remarkable turnaround. Their record is 12-1-1 since they turned things around. The loss to the B's is the only no points game in 14. Outstanding!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Yeah... if The B's win tonight I think they hang on to 8th. That would put them up against the Rangers in what would be a classic playoff round! I can't believe the playoffs are just around the corner!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

They're still playing hockey?

Hey guys, I can use your help if you're willing. I've picked my topic for my term paper in the hockey course. It's due on March 30th so I'll be working on it mostly this weekend and next weekend. I'll post the question here and if any of you have any input or information that you think will help, I'd love to hear it. You can respond here, PM me, or PM me for my email address and I'll gladly provide it...I just don't want to post it publicly. Thanks.

In 1972, the World Hockey Association debuted and changed the face of professional hockey. Its impact on the game is more evident today than it was 30 years ago. Chronicle and explain in detail how events that transpired during that league’s brief existence have impacted on pro hockey to this date, 25 years after the league ceased to exist.
    Some of the things that I'll be focusing on are:
    - salaries (leading into salary caps)
    - drafting younger players
    - hiring players from over seas
    - expansion of four teams and an 80 game season.

I haven't yet had time to look into whether there were any rule changes stemming from the WHA, but I will.

Any other thoughts? I was just a kid and not yet much of a hockey fan when the WHA existed but maybe some of you more mature guys who were watching WHA hockey can provide some input.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    - salaries (leading into salary caps)
    This - or free agency more generally - was the WHA's most significant legacy. Before they came along there were no multi-year contracts. Every player signed a one-year contract every season, and every player contract contained a standard "reserve clause" which stated the player was only permitted to negotiate with the same team again the following season. So effectively the player was stuck with one team until they decided they didn't want him anymore. The WHA finally created an alternative for players and - after lengthy legal battles - the NHL was finally forced to do away with the reserve clause. Multi-year contracts and limited free agency soon followed.

- drafting younger players
    Yep, the NHL eventually lowered its draft age from 20 to 18 because WHA teams were signing many of the top junior prospects before they were eligible for the NHL draft.

- expansion of four teams and an 80 game season.
    This would have likely happened anyway - the NHL expanded on its own from 6 to 18 teams in just seven years from 1967 to 1974. But I suspect there would not be as many Canadian teams in the NHL if not for the WHA's influence. Only 3 of those 18 teams in 1974 were Canadian and one year after the merger it became 7 out of 21 when the Flames re-located to Calgary in 1980.

And don't forget that the two leading scorers in NHL history - Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier - are both WHA alumni. And number 3 scorer Gordie Howe played there for six years too.

Canadian news journalism show "The Fifth Estate" ran an excellent report about late NHL enforcer Derek Boogard, and how easy it is to get prescription drugs when you are a professional athlete in North America. I hope this link works for you 'Mericans:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2658659219/

Thanks Brad! That information is really helpful. I read a bit about the reserve clause, but hadn't made the connection to free agency.

I watched a documentary about the WHA on YouTube last night. It was made by the CBC in 1999 or 2000 and was really interesting. Unfortunately, it was broken up into 8 segments (divided by commercial breaks) and the most important segment, the lasting effects of the WHA on the NHL, is missing. Grrrrrr.

OK, I've calmed down from that crazy game between Ottawa and Boston last night. The Sens showed a lot of heart last night - something they have historically been short on. I loved the way guys were standing up to Lucic and Chara when they tried to intimidate the smaller Sens. So now they are 2 points behind Boston for a wild-card position with a game in hand. A month ago it was inconceivable.

Andrew Hammond failed to break the record for most 2 goal or less games to start a career. He will have to settle for tying the record with Boston's Frank Brimsek going back to 1938. But his record is still an impressive 12-0-1 as a starter. With 3 more wins, he can tie Patrick Lalime of the Pens at 16 games without a regulation loss to begin a career.

The Sens are the feel good story of the end of this season. I'm hoping the Rangers finish ahead of the Habs so they can deal with either the Sens or Bruins, while the Habs play the Caps.

What a strange schedule - the Sens face the Leafs three times in their last 12! Now on the face of things, it should be 5 or 6 points in the bank based on how poorly the Leafs have been playing of late. But the Leafs always seem to bring it against the Sens, so there are no gimmes here. Beating the Leafs would certainly do wonders for the Sens' confidence and perhaps go a ways to slaying that dragon from 10+ years ago.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I have no problem with tie games. 4-on-4 OT for five minutes and that's it. There's something that doesn't sit right with me when a team loses and still gets a point. Shootout is an abomination.

Decide the hockey game by playing HOCKEY.

And I hate the trapezoid.

I agree! BUT tie games are a thing of the past. It's never coming back so there's no point wishing for it. Me, I hate the shoot-out so I'll go with 3 on 3 idea.

Totally agree about the trapezoid. Such a stupid idea. Hope that disappears.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Well the Kings just made things a whole lot harder on themselves losing to Vancouver today. When's the last time the defending Stanley Cup Champion didn't make the playoffs?
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Rangers win again, took a shootout though to beat Carolina. And lots of talk regarding the proposed changes during the ot. Teams went the entire 5 minutes without a whistle. Very entertaining. Not sure how that would factor in with a 3 on 3 change in play. Also, would 3-2s happen with penalties?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Well the Kings just made things a whole lot harder on themselves losing to Vancouver today. When's the last time the defending Stanley Cup Champion didn't make the playoffs?
    Carolina missed the playoffs in 2007 and NJD missed in 1996

With the Sens win over the stumbling Sharks, they have gone ahead of Boston into 8th in the East with a game still in hand (as the Bs lost last night). They're three behind the Caps also with a game in hand. Watch out Yves, it could Montreal/Ottawa in the first round after all.

Hammond needs one more win or OT/SO loss to tie Lalime's 16 game record. Unfortunately, next up are the red hot Rangers. Cam Talbot is right up there with Hammond as a totally unheralded goalie that has prospered when given a chance due to injury.

Wow. Leafs fans are some of the most devoted and loyal fans you will ever find. You know your team is in big trouble when the fans start giving up. Frankly, it's about time...

Quote Originally Posted by The Score
    The Toronto Maple Leafs finally felt the financial consequences of their poor on-ice performance Monday against the Minnesota Wild.

The Maple Leafs announced an attendance of 18,366 at Air Canada Centre for Monday's contest, marking the first time in 13 years the franchise has failed to sell out a home game.
    http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/729216

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    With the Sens win over the stumbling Sharks, they have gone ahead of Boston into 8th in the East with a game still in hand (as the Bs lost last night). They're three behind the Caps also with a game in hand. Watch out Yves, it could Montreal/Ottawa in the first round after all.

Hammond needs one more win or OT/SO loss to tie Lalime's 16 game record. Unfortunately, next up are the red hot Rangers. Cam Talbot is right up there with Hammond as a totally unheralded goalie that has prospered when given a chance due to injury.
    Props for the playoff run! I would definitely rather not play OTT in the first round. Not only are they on fire, they always play good against us. Also match up well in terms of speed. Talbot has indeed been fantastic and seems to be getting much better as he gains confidence. The team definitely plays looser with Henrik in net to bail 'em out of mistakes though. Not only are the Rangers winning without Henrik, but they have also been winning without St. Louis (who's struggled a bit on O) and Kevin Kline (who has been a revelation. Guy is a rock). All 3 should be back come playoffs.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'd rather not face them either. We owe them a playoff bounce from a couple of years back but this would be a long, physical, emotional series. IF the Habs moved on, they'd already be spent. Of course, the Bruins have not rolled over just yet. You have to think that a proud perennial playoff team like them will give a push before the end of the season. Or has Claude Julien started to lose this team?

Yves, you are right about the wildcard not being decided yet. There are still 10 or so games left and anything can happen. Sens lost three bodies in the past two games (Pumpel, Michalek and maybe Zibanijad who look a wicked friendly fire slapshot off his wrist in front of the net last night). And Hammond's bubble could burst at any time. His play has cooled off a bit the past three games and sooner or later the guy has to lose. When he does, the dam could burst and he could revert to the so-so goalie he was before this incredible run. So even though I hate the idea of 3 point games (loser points), it does keep things close down the stretch.

It's funny, that Todd McLellan basically admitted that the Sens team speed is what did in the Sharks last night. Earlier in the season, under MacLean, they didn't seem to be using their inherent speed - whether it was the personnel on the ice or the coach's system. Now under coach Cameron, they certainly move it and seem to be playing more of a north-south game with a lot less east-west giveaways.