Page 158 of 402 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The Sens gutted out an amazing win in hostile Winnipeg last night. Hammond stole another win. The team was dead tired and a flu bug is going around the team. Don't look now but the Sens are only 4 points behind the Bruins and 2 behind Florida with 2 games in hand. This ain't over yet.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

That's going to be an interesting battle for that last playoff spot. There are 4 teams with a legit shot. Hopefully by then the Habs will have fallen out of first overall and won't have to face whatever team gets in at no.8 being red hot.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Tonight's game between Boston and Ottawa will go a long way to determining who gets the second wildcard spot in the Eastern Conference. Ottawa is 5 points back with 1 game in hand and a second meeting with Boston in 9 days in Ottawa. Boston had a recent skid that let Ottawa get close, but they seem to have righted themselves. Ottawa has been red hot of late (10-1-2) but almost blew a 4 goal lead against a road-weary Calgary team on Sunday. At least it's a meaningful game in March. Can't ask for much more than that, given how poorly the Sens played earlier in the season.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Rangers at Islanders starting soon. FINAL regular season game between these two at the Nassau Coliseum (Brooklyn next season). Thinking the Isles hafta be a little tuckered out by the (can't believe how) close game last night in TO. Really, took 'em till the last 21 ticks of OT to beat the Leafs. Prolly the best game of the season for TO. Too bad for their fans they couldn't hold that 2 goal lead. Rangers go back-to-back too, Washington tomorrow.
    Last edited by Obscured; 03-10-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

It looks like I'm definately jumping on the Habs (or Senators) bandwagon early. I'm in Montreal on business on Thursday and Friday and my boss and I are going to the Habs/Sens game at the Bell Centre on Thursday night. I've never been to a Habs game in Montreal so I'm really looking forward to it. It should be a lot of fun!

I think I'll leave the Leafs jersey at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    It looks like I'm definately jumping on the Habs (or Senators) bandwagon early. I'm in Montreal on business on Thursday and Friday and my boss and I are going to the Habs/Sens game at the Bell Centre on Thursday night. I've never been to a Habs game in Montreal so I'm really looking forward to it. It should be a lot of fun!

I think I'll leave the Leafs jersey at home.
    You may find it a bit louder than the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    You may find it a bit louder than the ACC.
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't. The ACC is a morgue for hockey games. The volume is three times as loud at lacrosse games...from less than half the fans.

Enjoy the game ! I haven't been to the Bell Centre in at least a decade! I hope the Habs can find a way to start scoring again! They're 1-4 in their last 5 games. They have yet to beat the Lightning this season. The Sens always put up a good fight here so you should see a good , low scoring game.

OUCH! You brought the curse of the Leafs with you Esther!

Sens played excellent 2nd and 3rd periods while the Habs seem to be hitting the wall. Coincidentally, they hit said wall right at the trade deadline. You can't fuck with a team's chemistry when they're on a roll.

You had to be impressed with the way the Sens picked themselves up from the mat after getting down 2 in the first period. For whatever reason, the Sens seem to play well against the Habs, even though the Habs completely dominated in the first 20 minutes. Another tough opponent tonight in the Islanders. The goalie controversy in Ottawa is now in full swing. How can you not play a guy who has yet to lose in regulation or OT in the NHL?

The Hamburglar is your man...for now. Keep him in while he's got the hot hand. The playoffs have already begun for the Sens. That was the difference in last night's teams. The Habs seem sated, sitting in first place for weeks now. I hope this was a wake-up call that the teams fighting to qualify mean business!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    OUCH! You brought the curse of the Leafs with you Esther!

Sens played excellent 2nd and 3rd periods while the Habs seem to be hitting the wall. Coincidentally, they hit said wall right at the trade deadline. You can't fuck with a team's chemistry when they're on a roll.

OMG! That was a horrible game! Boring as hell. I have to say that I loved the Bell Centre as a venue, it has great atmosphere and reminded me a lot of Maple Leaf Gardens (RIP). But the game sucked. Having been up since 4:30am, it was all I could do to stay awake during the third period.

3-on-3 overtime and the ability to challenge a play? Thoughts?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...id=DL|NHL|home

I'm all over the video review for goalie interference. It makes good sense to me. I'm OK with 3 on 3 but in a way, it's getting further and further from real 5 on 5 hockey which is the complaint against the shootout.

I'm confused about the rule change regarding delay of game. The article states that no penalty will be called if the puck goes over the glass when it's shot from the defensive zone. I thought that was the whole point of the penalty - to stop teams from sending it out of play when the pressure is on. I realize that it's a very demoralizing penalty when it's not done intentionally, but I would hate to see the rule removed and then guys start firing it out play as soon as they get bottled up in their own zone. If that's the change, then I guess I am against it.

I'm confused about the rule change regarding delay of game. The article states that no penalty will be called if the puck goes over the glass when it's shot from the defensive zone. I thought that was the whole point of the penalty - to stop teams from sending it out of play when the pressure is on. I realize that it's a very demoralizing penalty when it's not done intentionally, but I would hate to see the rule removed and then guys start firing it out play as soon as they get bottled up in their own zone. If that's the change, then I guess I am against it.
    Can't argue with any of that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm all over the video review for goalie interference. It makes good sense to me. I'm OK with 3 on 3 but in a way, it's getting further and further from real 5 on 5 hockey which is the complaint against the shootout.
    The goal is to settle more games before reaching the shootout. I wonder if more goals would be scored if they extended the OT period to 10 minutes and keep it 4 on 4.

I think the players' union would object to an extra 5 minutes of play. They may still make a fuss about the extra time at 3 on 3.

I'm sorry but this 3 on 3 shit is ridiculous. OT is already bad enough as it is--it will be even more less like the actual game with 3 on 3.

You have to watch the game winning goal in OT from the Sens/Canes game tonight:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...ow_ids=1617293

And they got to OT because of this save by Hammond on Jordan Staal:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...ow_ids=1617293

I'm all over the video review for goalie interference. It makes good sense to me.
    Agreed, but it should be treated the same as the rule about stick measurements: If a coach calls for a review and it goes against his team then he should get a delay of game penalty. The current proposal is just for the team to lose their timeout which will do nothing to prevent abuse.

Sorry Brad, but I can't agree. There is too much subjectivity in making the call that it would be unfair to call a penalty if a collision in the crease isn't deemed a penalty. With a stick measurement, it's a 0 or a 1. Not so in this case. It could be a function of not having the optimal camera angle. Losing your timeout is punishment enough. Does this mean that if you use your timeout in the first period, you can't call for a video review later on? That doesn't seem fitting either. Does it also mean that if you lose one call you may not challenge a second incident?

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I'm sorry but this 3 on 3 shit is ridiculous. OT is already bad enough as it is--it will be even more less like the actual game with 3 on 3.
    Far less ridiculous than a shootout. It's obviously not perfect, but it would be an improvement.

And I'm with rottersclub regarding the penalty for a goaltender interference review that isn't overturned. Too much ambiguity to give such a harsh penalty, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Does this mean that if you use your timeout in the first period, you can't call for a video review later on? That doesn't seem fitting either. Does it also mean that if you lose one call you may not challenge a second incident?
    I don't know what's proposed in hockey but in lacrosse each team has one time-out per half, and two challenges per game. I wasn't sure how the NLL handled it if the timeout for the half has already been used, so I looked it up. The NLL rulebook states, A timeout will be charged to the team requesting the challenge who loses a challenge as deemed by the official’s review. A team that requests a challenge and does not have any timeouts remaining and loses a challenge shall be assessed a bench minor penalty, served by the inhome.

I have no idea how the NHL will handle it, but the NLL rule makes sense to me. If you lose a challenge you either lose your time out or, if you don't have a timeout, you incur a penalty. The other option I see is that if you've used your timeout then you lose the ability to make a challenge. But I don't think that's fair. It means that if you've used your timeout, you can't challenge a play, even if you're sure that you'll win the challenge. I don't think that it should be an either/or situation.

Yeah, giving out a penalty for a challenge is too much. Losing a timeout is plenty. I love the idea of video reviews for interference.

As far as 3-3 I'm in favor of it. Purists...you're never going to see 5-5 OT again and that's a simple fact. If it gets rid of the shootout, do it.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I say eliminate the OT, shoot out, all of those 3-point games. Bring back the tie!

Habs vs Red Army- 1975. Considered by some the greatest game ever played...and it ended in a tie!