Page 155 of 402 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205255 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Also, it pains me to say this, but I may jump on the Habs bandwagon early this year.
    You're gaining a lot of hockey wisdom since you signed up for that class!

Franson was a guy the Habs had in their sights but I guess they weren't making the right offer.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    You're gaining a lot of hockey wisdom since you signed up for that class!

Franson was a guy the Habs had in their sights but I guess they weren't making the right offer.
    From what I'm reading, the Leafs aren't necessarily looking to trade for players right now. They want first round draft picks. Current rumour is that they're looking to trade Tyler Bozak for a 1st round pick...and might be willing to throw Daniel Winnik into the deal if they need to sweeten it.

Rebuild. Rebuild. Rebuild.

The Habs won't trade away draft picks. Maybe that's why no deal was made on Saturday.

My guess regarding their strategy is this... The Leafs know the playoffs are not going to happen for them, but they have some good players who would do well on a team in playoff contention and looking to strengthen their position. Trade players to those teams for draft picks. Once the playoffs are over, other teams may be willing to give up guys that they won't give up now, that's when they trade for the players they want for next season. Shanahan has said that he wants to build a young team and grow it over the next five years. Top draft picks combined some young but experienced players would be the way to do it.

cant believe leafs got a first rounder and a decent prospect for two players they'd lose ina month anyway. maybe trade deadline will see more actuion this year

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    cant believe leafs got a first rounder and a decent prospect for two players they'd lose ina month anyway. maybe trade deadline will see more actuion this year
    It was a good deal for both teams. The only one it wasn't a good deal for (potentially) is Jokinen.

What's in those No Trade agreements anyhow...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...182227244.html

Somehow I thought Montreal might make that list. There's as much media scrutiny here as in Toronto.

Somehow I thought Montreal might make that list. There's as much media scrutiny here as in Toronto.
    The media scrutiny is probably less painful when you can actually win a game once in a while.

The media have been kind since Marc Bergevin took over as GM. He turned the team around a lot faster than was expected. However, you don't need to go back very far to when the Habs finished last in the East. The media was all over the team; especially ownership and management.

As an observer of both teams, I would think the media scrutiny in Montreal is on a par with that of Toronto. Perhaps the French language media is a little harsher than the English, but the spotlight is intense in both cities. Bergevin is going to earn his accolades if he can bolster the defence without giving too much in return. They may need two experienced D-men depending on the severity of Emelin's shoulder injury sustained last night.

The spotlight is bright in Ottawa too, but Bryan Murray is getting a soft ride this year because of his battle with cancer. If it was anyone else, they would be getting grilled on the team's poor results, especially after Murray claimed they were a playoff team as recently as a month ago.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Ottawa doesn't have much of a market so there's no room for error with that team. Look at last night for example. Montreal scoring got a bigger cheer than Ottawa scoring. If the Sens can't create a young and loyal fanbase the team won't be around. Old school hockey fans in the region grew up watching the Habs or the Leafs.

Looking forward to the Icelanders / Preds tonight

"Interesting" Blues fact

A year ago, St. Louis won 20 of its first 22 intradivisional games before losing six of the last seven. This year after three straight wins to begin this season, they're just 10-8 including four wins over last-place Colorado.

Tuesdays home L to the Stars was horrible

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Ottawa doesn't have much of a market so there's no room for error with that team. Look at last night for example. Montreal scoring got a bigger cheer than Ottawa scoring. If the Sens can't create a young and loyal fanbase the team won't be around. Old school hockey fans in the region grew up watching the Habs or the Leafs.
    Ya know, this fact aggravates me to no end. I dropped all my allegiances to other teams when Ottawa got an NHL team in 1992. Why others haven't embraced the fact that there is a home team to cheer for completely mystifies me. I can understand if Montrealer moves away and continues to cheer for the Habs, but for someone in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, etc. to continue cheering for Toronto or Montreal is a mystery to me.

I won't debate whether or not the Sens will be able to stay in Ottawa over the long-term. Ownership is the key and having someone with deep pockets that withstand several losing seasons and the ever changing value of the Canadian dollar is the deciding factor. Battening down the hatches and paying salaries to the floor all the while explaining that "any idiot can spend to the cap" is not the best way to win over new fans and keep existing ones. Ottawa has the second lowest payroll this year and that's exactly what they are - a bottom feeder team. (Giving multi-year contracts to questionable players like Kovalev, Legwand and Greening doesn't help the cause.)
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Flyers blow a shootout against Buffalo.

When is baseball season?

Oh, wait....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Last night of free center ice, Blues vs B's for me tonight with a buzz and some progressive jams

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Buffalo have beaten Montreal 3 times this year. Welcome to the new NHL!

Habs dropped a 3-2 SO decision to Florida; after having an early 2-0 lead. They have done this a few times lately. It's a little worrisome.

20 year old Mackenzie Skapski to make his NHL debut between the pipes for the Rangers in a few minutes. Amazing job Prince Talbot has done these past 8 games. Team really stepped up once Lundquist got hurt. 7-1-2 in last 10 games.

Edit- And Skapski lasts all of 14 seconds before giving up his first goal.
    Last edited by Obscured; 02-20-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Nothing the kid could have done to stop that. Hasn't really been tested much after that as Rangers are controlling the game. I like Talbot and yeah, Rangers have been playing great, but we're giving up a lot of goals without Hank. Luckily we're scoring a lot of them also.

The Ranger/Islander game a few games ago was easily the best game I've seen all year. Outstanding.

No thoughts on the death of Steve Montador?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

This free center ice thing isn't working out - this is 4 consecutive periods of uninspired home hockey I've been subjected to

Down 0-1 to the B's after uno

At least the music's been great

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Nothing the kid could have done to stop that. Hasn't really been tested much after that as Rangers are controlling the game.
    And stopped everything else that weakly came his way. One hard shot midway or so in the third against him, otherwise all Rangers, all the time. 43-25 shot advantage for NYR. Another goal (37) for Nash.
    But give that "Mac" kid the game puck & Broadway Hat!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Note with a 4 spot second period....much more like it

BG

Sharks-Kings. Outdoors. Live. Now.

5 days to the trade deadline. Lots of rumours, not much action.

oh.. I forgot to explain the playoffs to Esther..

Esther, the playoffs is a tournament that takes place AFTER the regular season. It's 4 stages of 4 out of 7 matches against the same opponent. First team to 4 wins moves on in a left/right pyramid bracket configuration until only 2 teams are left . They play for a trophy called the STANLEY CUP (oooooh.....aaaaah.....). It involves the better teams in the NHL so you don't have to worry yourself too much about it, but I thought you might want a rudimentary understanding of it.

So, you might need to explain this to me again next year because I'll have forgotten by then.