Page 146 of 402 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196246 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

It's hard to watch Zdeno Chara play these days. He is clearly not quite right since coming back from his knee injury. He was just a massive pylon in the Sens/Bruin's game today and cost them a point in OT. He either came back too early or he's suffered permanent damage that is really affecting his mobility.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

4 goals in 4 minutes, Rangers all over Sabres 6-1. Plenty of time left to hit double figures.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Habs win 5 in a row on the road! Don't look now but we're a pretty good team.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Habs win 5 in a row on the road! Don't look now but we're a pretty good team.
    Go back to November in tghis thread and read how much you were telling us how crappy and llucky that team was/is

you, Bandwagon jumper
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well it's not the Canada/Russia gold medal game, but we just bought $285 tickets for the Sweden/Slovakia bronze medal game for $25 each. Should be a fun experience to see a World Junior medal game! Puck drops in just ove an hour. Gotta run!

The eons are closing
    Happy Birthday Esther!

The Isles continue to amaze and confound at the same time.
    They need to get all their sh1tty play out of their system before the upcoming NYR game.

Going to see 1st game of season with my son on MLK day. Rock!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Happy Birthday Esther!
    Thanks very much Thomas! How did you know?

Wow! Randy Carlyle just got the boot.

Maple Leafs fire Carlyle as coach

Tuesday, 01.06.2015 / 9:24 AM / News

TorontoMapleLeafs.com

David Nonis, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Tuesday morning that head coach Randy Carlyle has been relieved of his duties. Assistant coaches Peter Horachek and Steve Spott will handle coaching duties in the Club's next game Wednesday night as the Leafs host the Washington Capitals.

The Leafs (21-16-3) are fourth in the Atlantic Division with 45 points, one point ahead of the Boston Bruins for the second Eastern Conference wild-card berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads
    http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|TOR|home

I honestly didn't see that coming. They were playing great before this extended road trip, on which they sucked. I guess the shitty road trip was the final nail in the coffin.

Big win for Canada over Russia last night. The pace was unbelievable at first. The Russians eventually adjusted to the Canadian's speed and made a game of it, as they are wont to do. The third period was pretty intense but the Canadians showed they could defend as well as attack.

The speed, size and skill level of all the elite teams this year was amazing. Should be a good batch of rookies in the league next year. Looks like the Jets have a lot of great prospects from this year's tournament.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Big win for Canada over Russia last night. The pace was unbelievable at first. The Russians eventually adjusted to the Canadian's speed and made a game of it, as they are wont to do. The third period was pretty intense but the Canadians showed they could defend as well as attack.

The speed, size and skill level of all the elite teams this year was amazing. Should be a good batch of rookies in the league next year. Looks like the Jets have a lot of great prospects from this year's tournament.
    I agree. The fast 2 goal lead and the eventual 5-1 lead made it look like it was going to be a slam dunk. But man those Russians just never gave up...and good on 'em. When it reached 5-4 I started to get nervous. A very good game.

We went to the Bronze medal game. Also a great game with two well-matched teams. Man that William Nylander guy (Leafs draft pick) is a really fast skater! He was skating circles around most of his team-mates. There was great talent all around this year. It all bodes well for the future of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    You're late the party dude. Look two posts above yours.

Sorry Esther, I guess you posted it while I was writing my previous post.

The eons are closing
    I saw the firing; just think it should have been done when they cleared out his assistants in the offseason.
    Management left him hanging in the breeze for half a season: if the Leafs sucked, they can fire him easy; if the Leafs win, they point to the fact that mgmt picked his staff and fire him anyway so they can hire their 'guy'.

Total no win scenario - even Capt. Kirk couldn't win that!

I'm only surprised now because I thought that they were going to fire him earlier. When they didn't, I just figured that they were committed to letting him finish out the season. It's not the action that I wasn't expecting, it was the timing.

Although it sucks to be fired, I wouldn't be surprised if he also found it somewhat of a relief. The waiting is over.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm only surprised now because I thought that they were going to fire him earlier. When they didn't, I just figured that they were committed to letting him finish out the season. It's not the action that I wasn't expecting, it was the timing.
    Agreed. The Leafs are right in the thick of things and have shown some flashes this season. Why upset the apple cart now? Makes no sense whatsoever, unless something transpired behind closed doors that forced the Leafs management's hand. The off-season rumour was that Mike Babcock would step in next season after leaving Detroit. Why would anyone of his calibre want to step in the half-century mess that is the Leafs is beyond me. This has been one of the worse run organizations in professional sports since the days of Our Pal Hal (Harold Ballard for those of you who didn't grow up in "Tronno").

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    They were playing great before this extended road trip
    Except that they continue to allow 30+ shots after two periods every single game. The worst teams in the league don't do that.... but, they have great goaltending so they get wins and lose closer games than they should. I'm not fooled by their record so far this season, I've seen some jaw-droppping poor performances by their defense in the handful of games I've watched thus far, and - as has been the case for years now - the lack of a solid captain. That loss to Winnipeg the other night was a good example of what the team is truly like.... The one winning streak of any note they've had this season was the closest thing they've had to being consistent in quite some time. Whether Carlyle was a big part of the problem, I don't really know. I just know that every year it gets that much more embarrassing and difficult to tolerate, and I'm watching fewer games every season.

[/cranky Leaf fan mode off]
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

You make some very good points. And you are right, when I said that they played great what I really meant was that they were winning games.

I agree 100% with your comments about the captain. I just don't see Phaneuf as a leader, or an outstanding player of any sort. He makes more costly mistakes than someone of his standing and salary should make. My brother made an interesting comment over the holidays. He said that he'd like to see Phaneuf get injured just to see how the team performs without him. I'd be happy to see him traded.

I really hope that the Carlyle move is just the beginning and that Shanahan is ready to make some changes. As Yves pointed out, this team has been disfunctional for long enough. The fans are ready for change. Bring it on.

You could look at the Carlyle firing from a perspective of much greater "hockey paucity". You're 21-16-3 . . . . . . you have a winning record, definitely in the mix for a playoff spot . . . . . . and you fire the coach?
    Oh, that we had it so "bad" in Raleigh!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

In spite of that winning record, the Leafs are not playing well as a team. Many of those games were won by good goaltending as Progatron has pointed out, not by a team effort. Three weeks ago we were 2 points behind first place in the division. Today we're 11 points back. If you look at the shots for and shots against in almost any game in December you'll see how bad our defence has been. Far too many shots are being allowed through. There have been multiple line changes throughout the season trying to find the right mix. Basically the team has had no consistency. They have hot streaks and cold streaks and so far they've been lucky that those streaks have averaged out to a winning season. But don't let those wins confuse you, the team is a mess and has been for years. Is Carlyle the one to fault? I don't know. I guess we're about to find out.

This is just way too cute! I'm sure that by now you guys have probably seen the video of the little Flyers fan who got a Penguins jersey for Christmas. If not...

Well the Flyers (expectedly) responded to their young fan. Because what team wouldn't take this opportunity to make a kid happy and score some serious PR points?

Article here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...163900517.html

I want to see the video when he meets the team...

Classy move by the Broad Street Bullies...

Love that This one's my fave though...

Regarding the Leafs. There's some buzz around about "uncoachable" players and inner turmoil. Who knows what is true or not, but it may be that more is goin on than we think.

Rangers finally back at it tonight on the West coast. We've been on fire, but have played a lot of teams that should be beaten. Curious to see how well they handle these 3 big boys
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Rangers gear? Seriously? Anybody outside the Five Boroughs even wear that stuff?!

I rarely see any Rangers gear out this way. You'd think Montreal would be almost totally Hab fans, but there's plenty of people who hate on them. I did during the Nordiques years. I see people sporting gear from at least a dozen franchises, but rarely if ever do I see a guy donning a Rangers cap or jersey walking down the street. They're probably the least popular Original Six team in Montreal.

The eons are closing
    They're the least popular team in my house too! ;-)

2-2 on the latest west coast swing; now the Isles return east for 3 more "road" games
    Two chances to take over the 1 seed in the East and in both chances; the team looked out of sorts.

While its always nice to leer at a train (Leaf) wreck; the more interesting story is the state of the Bruins, imo.