Page 140 of 402 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Roy's style may create some division within his locker room. I like feisty but I have to wonder how well the message will go over if they wallow in the basement of their division for too long.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Roy's style may create some division within his locker room. I like feisty but I have to wonder how well the message will go over if they wallow in the basement of their division for too long.
    I went to see the Flyers play the 'Lanche last week and my buddy and I were discussing this very issue. That kind of act doesn't usually last very long.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think it's the reason the Canadiens did not approach him when they hired Therrien. I wasn't initially a big fan of Therrien but he's looking like the right man for the job so far. He worked in the media in between his coaching stints and so he knows how to handle the Montreal press; which is essential if you want to last in this city.

9 - 2 loss against Nashville last night. I think I'll just go bury my head in the snow for a while.

That's terrible! Makes our 4-0 loss to the Pens almost acceptable...almost!

When the Habs lose, they lose big. Of the 5 games they have lost this season so far, 4 of them have been by 4 goals or more. This, to me, shows that once a team figures out the Habs style and can counter it, the Habs can easily be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    That's terrible! Makes our 4-0 loss to the Pens almost acceptable...almost!

When the Habs lose, they lose big. Of the 5 games they have lost this season so far, 4 of them have been by 4 goals or more. This, to me, shows that once a team figures out the Habs style and can counter it, the Habs can easily be had.
    Should we call them the Hads?

Our remaining games this month are against Tampa Bay, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Washington. Based on past performance, I think that we can pretty much write off the rest of the month. Wake me up when December gets here.

Better yet, wake the Leafs up when December gets here!

Last night you could call them that!

We've got St-Louis tomorrow, then back-to-back road games over the weekend in Boston and at MSG. Hopefully we can muster 3 or 4 points out of that stretch.

The eons are closing
    Well the Isles are 10-1 when they score at least 3 goals. So as long as the "O" flows...it appears they have enough "D" to see it through.
    Gotta rack up the regulation wins though as its the major tiebreak. With 12 wins now, 9 are in regulation (only 4 teams better in the East)

Re: Toronto
    ESPN's Custance had an article this morning on the Leaf's 'culture' being an issue. Brendan will 'Shannaban' somebody soon the unemployment line; but this time I dont think its the coach.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Re: Toronto
    ESPN's Custance had an article this morning on the Leaf's 'culture' being an issue. Brendan will 'Shannaban' somebody soon the unemployment line; but this time I dont think its the coach.
    I went to the ESPN site to read that article. I could read part of the article but I have pay to be an Insider in order to read the whole thing.

I read an article yesterday that included some interesting comments from former head coach Ron Wilson and his thoughts on the team, the fans, and Carlyle, but the most interesting quote from the article (not Wilson's) was "Toronto fans are the most psychologically damaged lot in professional sports". I thought that was funny...maybe because I'm so damaged.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...221037129.html
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 11-20-2014 at 02:08 PM.

The eons are closing
    I would say for sure that in hockey, Toronto fans are more f**ked up than Isles fans even....and we had a fake owner !! lol

But I have seen some messed up NFL NY Jets fans and MLB Cubs fans...

An unholy trinity of suckitude no doubt.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

You know what's stupid? There's a facebook page called Leafs Nation. It's not an official Leafs page, but it's well run and posts some interesting stuff (that's not the stupid thing). Earlier today the site asked the question, if the GTA (greater Toronto area) had a second team, would you support them over the Leafs. Almost everyone said NO WAY! That surprised me. The whole city has spent years bitching and complaining about the Leafs, but if offered an alternative they wouldn't support them? (that's the stupid thing!) I sure as hell would. Bring me a winning team and I'm buying the Jersey.

On a different topic, have you guys read about Jack Johnson's situation? He gave his mother Power Of Attorney and she's spent every sent he's made, every cent he will ever make, and then some. The poor guy had to declare bankruptcy to try and dig out of the hole his parents have put him in. A very sad situation. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...154348457.html

What happens when the microphone fails during The Star Spangled Banner at the start of a Leafs home game? The fans finish the anthem that isn't even ours. We may be insane, but we're a pretty awesome bunch.

I saw this on the news yesterday. Every sports fan in Canada can belt that tune out with the best Americans! It's so engraved on our brains!

Schizophrenic Habs played possibly their most complete game yesterday and took out the Blues, despite spotting them the first goal. I was flipping back and forth between the hockey and football games, where both my teams were sticking it to teams from Missouri!

A trend that is starting to become apparent is that teams are taking the Sens lightly and are often starting their backup goalie against them. Last night was a good example, in which the Preds started Carter Hutton with a 0-1-1 record. Now clearly, Pekka Rinne has started the bulk of the games and you have to give the guy a rest at some point. But a number of other teams have done the same thing and have lost. Hence the Sens are winning a few that they probably would not have won, if they had faced the #1 goalie.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Habs just ended a 6 games in 9 days stretch by getting punched in the mouth by the Rangers. I hate these crazy stretches, followed by 4 days off. In a 6-day stretch they played vs Pens, vs Blues, then At Boston, at NYR within 24hrs...

Sad news in the hockey world today. Pat Quinn dies at age 71.

Pat Quinn, a veteran of over 600 games as an NHL player and 1,400 games as an NHL head coach, has passed away at the age of 71.

One of just four men to win the Jack Adams Award as coach of the year with two different teams, Quinn was best remembered as a long-time coach of both the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks, as well leading Canada to its first gold medal in 50 years at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

Quinn's NHL career began in 1968-69 with the Maple Leafs, who called him up from the Central Hockey League a 25-year-old. It did not take Quinn long to make a name for himself as a player, rendering Bobby Orr unconscious with an infamous open ice hit during the 1969 playoffs.

Quinn left the Leafs in 1970 to finish his career with expansion franchises, first as a member of the Canucks from 1970 to 1972 followed by the Atlanta Flames from 1972 to 1977.

His coaching career, which would leave his greatest legacy on the game, began almost immediately.

He joined the Philadelphia Flyers in 1977-78 and by the end of the next season he succeeded Hall-of-Famer Fred Shero as head coach. He guided the Flyers to the 1980 Stanley Cup Final, losing to the New York Islanders. Quinn won his first Jack Adams Award after guiding the Flyers to a 48-12-20 record and first in the Patrick Division.

The Flyers fired Quinn after the 1981-82 season and he returned to the NHL as coach of the Los Angeles Kings from 1984 to 1987.

Quinn then joined the Canucks as president and general manager, helping rebuild them from a fifth-place club in the Smythe Division to a team that came within one win of a Stanley Cup in 1994. The additions of Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure through the draft, as well as franchise goaltender and Kirk McLean all came under Quinn's watch.

His next job was another rebuilding effort - this time with the Maple Leafs. He took over as head coach in 1998-99 and assumed the GM duties the following season after leading the team to the Eastern Conference Final and capturing his second Jack Adams Award.

Over six seasons with the Leafs, he led the club to three 100-point seasons and two Eastern Conference Finals, including the club's only regular season division title in the post-expansion era.

His success with the Leafs earned him the role as head coach of the Canadian Olympic men's hockey team for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games. Under Quinn, the team overcame a 1-1-1 round robin record – while outscored 10-8 - and went on to win the gold medal with a 5-2 victory over the host Americans.

Quinn was fired by the Leafs in 2006 after the team failed to make the post-season for the first time since 1997-98 and turned his attention to junior hockey. As part-owner of the Vancouver Giants, he won the 2007 Memorial Cup - his second time hoisting the trophy after winning it as a player with the Edmonton Oil Kings in 1963.

Hockey Canada hired Quinn to handle international duties and he did so with great success. He coached Canada to gold at the 2008 Under-18 World Championship with a team that featured future NHL stars Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Matt Duchene. He took the next step with the same core group, guiding Canada to 2009 World Junior gold with the help of talents like John Tavares, P.K. Subban, Patrice Bergeron and Jamie Benn.

Quinn returned to the NHL for one more season in 2009-10 with the Edmonton Oilers.

In addition to his achievements on the ice and behind the bench, he was also a key builder with the Hockey Hall of Fame Selection Committee and assumed the role of Chairman of the Board in 2013.

"We are deeply saddened by the passing of Pat Quinn”, Jim Gregory, Vice-Chairman of the Hockey Hall of Fame said in a statement. "Pat is one of hockey's most respected individuals whose lifetime involvement as a player, coach and executive has made an indelible mark on the game, and our thoughts and prayers are with Sandra and all of Pat's family and friends at this extremely difficult time."

Quinn was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2012.
    http://www.tsn.ca/former-nhl-player-...at-71-1.143021

First Viktor Tikhonov and now Pat Quinn, two legendary coaches lost within a 24 hour span.

Yeah that was sad to hear. I always loved watching angry Quinn on the bench.

Rangers lookin real solid the last few games.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Brian Elliot was injured last night in a goal-mouth pile up and had to come out of game. Now I see that Martin Brodeur is heading to St. Louis for a try out.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/641887
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Wow. This is one hell of a goal from last night's Sabres/Habs game. The article mentions the look on Michel Therrien's face when he sees the replay. Unfortunately, the video doesn't include that moment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...045326160.html

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Brian Elliot was injured last night in a goal-mouth pile up and had to come out of game. Now I see that Martin Brodeur is heading to St. Louis for a try out.
    He will practice with us for a week, supposedly a contract decision will follow, although it seems a foregone conclusion

Will be interesting to see what he's got left

I went all in this morning, just ordered 3 different Blues jerseys

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

What names?

That goal was amazing btw, Esther.

Yo scottbails...what the hell is up with Philly?? I mean maybe today they'll show up, but the last bunch of games they just seem totally uninterested. Sloppy as hell! I've been very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    What names?
    White Oshe
    Blue Backes
    Camo Tarasenko

I was torn between getting Backes or a second Tarasenko for the home blue - Backes has the "C" patch so I went with that

I have a few older ones, but needed some current versions, in all the years following them I've never had a road white

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Nice! There's still a part of me that is pissed at NYR for drafting McIlrath over Tarasenko.

Black Friday came to Canada yesterday and we bought ourselves a 49" Ultra HD 4K TV. This is our Christmas present to each other, since it's something we both wanted. I can't wait to get it set up and watch our first hockey game on it! It won't be tonight unfortunately as we're taking my Mom to dinner and movie. But sometime this week...it's gonna be awesome!